This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the same damn thing!

I have been working at a hardware store. It's pretty easy work, and most customers are cool, but we had a real bitch today. She came in, and I asked if I could help her find anything. She was looking for Liquid Sterno. I took her to the paint section and showed her the cans of Denatured Alcohol. She told me that was not what she was looking for, I told her that it was the same thing. She got on her phone to call her husband, I left. I told the manager, he went to assure her that Liquid Sterno and Denatured Alcohol were the same.

I helped another customer, and when I finished and returned to the front she was bitching at one of the owners, saying she had called first and been told that we had Liquid Sterno. Owner kept explaining that they were the exact same thing, but the bitch would not listen.

I wanted to scream in her face that they are the same damed thing, Liquid Sterno is only a brand name.

But it's still not the same! *shocks and gasps and other such tom foolery*
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Actually, technically, she's right.

Sterno is a specific brand of denatured alcohol. Any other brand, while still being denatured alcohol, is not Sterno.

This is a case where educating the ignorant would probably have saved everyone a headache.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        Actually, technically, she's right.

Sterno is a specific brand of denatured alcohol. Any other brand, while still being denatured alcohol, is not Sterno.

This is a case where educating the ignorant would probably have saved everyone a headache.

^-.-^
        It's also in the realms of possible that she wanted a specific brand of product rather than a generic.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Personally, I'd be glad to get the same product for a cheaper price.

If you've got several people telling you it's the same, then as a customer you should really wise up.

Comment

Wow you learn something new every day. I had no idea that they were the same.

Must file that away in the abyss between my ears.
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
              Personally, I'd be glad to get the same product for a cheaper price.

If you've got several people telling you it's the same, then as a customer you should really wise up.
              But generics aren't always the same. People try to tell me all the time that store brand mac & cheese is the same as Kraft mac & cheese, and it just isn't. Nothing compares to the neon orange goodness that is Kraft mac & cheese.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                But generics aren't always the same. People try to tell me all the time that store brand mac & cheese is the same as Kraft mac & cheese, and it just isn't. Nothing compares to the neon orange goodness that is Kraft mac & cheese.
                I don't know what the hell Kraft puts in that orange cheese powder, but there is nothing else on the market that is close to being as good.

For some things, brand isn't much of an issue, and I suspect that denatured alcohol might possibly be one of those things.

But for most things, brand can make a major difference. Some medicines, while having the same active ingredients, can have some notably different inactive ones that can change how they affect the users. Not all toner and ink for printers is created equal, that's for damn sure. (let me say here that I despise generic inkjet cartridges for being a poor match to their branded brethren), and anything that is eaten will have a different flavor depending on which company produced it*.

* cereals are slightly outside of this as the majority of really inexpensive generic bagged cereals are the same exact product as the much more expensive name-brand cereals you see on the shelves. Packaged in the same facilities, even.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't know what the hell Kraft puts in that orange cheese powder, but there is nothing else on the market that is close to being as good.
                  Crack...It's definitely Crack.
                  You mess with me, you dance in the dark!

Comment

Quoth Ghostlightkeeper View Post
                    Crack...It's definitely Crack.
                    Somehow I just *knew* someone was going to say that
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Liquid Sterno is a brand name Denatured Alcohol, but the ingredients are the exact same thing. Its not like, say Coke and Sams Choice Cola. There is absolutely no difference between them. This old lady just wanted to bitch about something.

Comment

Generic Ramen Noodles at Aldi's are nowhere near what regular Ramens are. I can't believe there even needs to be a generic Ramen. I wouldn't feed generic Ramen noodles to my worst enemy.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm not sure what it is, either, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing Jimmy John's puts in their bread... *droooool* Jimmmmyyyy Joooohhhnnnnssss
                          If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                            They used to sell it seperately. I would take it into movie theaters and put it on popcorn. There were a zillion other good things to do with it. I even ate it right out of the can. I really miss it.
                            Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Whatever this substance is, it causes milk to just roll right off it, in ways that have been deemed 'unfit for human consumption'.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X