This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
    We once found a purse in the dinning room. It sat in the office for a couple of days then we decided to open it and see if we could find who the owner was. Inside it was some cheap makeup, plastic jewelry and a HUGE vibrator. Nothing to say who the owner was though. A week or two later a woman comes in asking about the purse so we go back to get it for her. When we brought it up front she handed it to her daughter (who looked about 12) and said here's your purse sweety take better care of it next time.
    Did mum know or was she just too embarrassed to accept that it was hers so she passed it off as her daughters????
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Part-Time Parrothead View Post
      Actually, if it was 51% of a five dollar bill, it's still valid currency (just take it to a bank, they should change it out.) If it's 50%, then hes SOL.
      I believe it also has to have at least two of the corner numbers intact, and the whole serial number legible (in the US at least). I had to deal with damaged/destroyed currency a lot in the amusement park moneyroom job.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
        Did mum know or was she just too embarrassed to accept that it was hers so she passed it off as her daughters????
        Judging by the makeup, jewelry, total lack of anything important I'd say it really was the kids purse. As for the mom knowing we didn't want to cause a shitstorm so we didn't ask. When I said huge I meant it too 8-10" and apparently powered by multiple D-cells.

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
          Although I don't think I condone looking through a customer's wallet, I would have myself out of pure curiosity and I agree, the contents you found are... Interesting. o_o
          A store I worked a LONG time ago had a policy that if the owner of a lost or forgotten item could not be contacted by the end of the shift, the item(s) had to be inventoried (two people present for this, one of whom had to be a manager), documented, and then everything locked in the store's safe.

If nobody claimed it within 30 days, it became the property of the person who found it, with the exception of items like ID, credit cards, or checks. If there was cash in there, it was yours. None of the items I ever found had cash in them, though.....

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
            Off topic buit the trouble with mobile phones is that they often don't have any kind of personal markings on it, and sometimes they don't have home, mum, dad... And how do you know which is the husband/wife/brother/sister/whatever lol.
            Unless it's my phone, which is covered in pink sparkly gems kind of like these, only not as excessive, and all numbers are painstakingly organised to the point of obsession.
            It came in handy when I last lost my phone and the person who found it called my dad, listed as Dad in my phone, who then called me to give me this woman's number, who dropped the phone off for me at work the very same day.

On the topic of wallets, though, I recently found out that if someone loses their wallet in my store but doesn't come to retrieve it in, I think, either 48 or 72 hours everything in the wallet (and I don't know if this counts for money, which it likely does not) gets shredded.
            ID, credit cards, debit cards, photos, EVERYTHING. Shredded.
            While I don't get why someone would leave their wallet somewhere after we've notified them that we have it for days on end, if it was me who had left my wallet there and they shredded everything I would lose my shit.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
              Off topic buit the trouble with mobile phones is that they often don't have any kind of personal markings on it, and sometimes they don't have home, mum, dad... And how do you know which is the husband/wife/brother/sister/whatever lol.

That is why you should "ICE" those people. In my phone, hubby is #2 speed dial (voice mail come preset to #1) and I have it listed "hubby'sname-ICE". The ICE is "In Case of Emergency".

My MIL found my phone at a family event one time and brought it right to me. She said she knew it was mine as soon as she opened it because the banner says "Go Braves!" At least she knows where my allegiances lie.

Comment

Quoth sportsmom View Post
                That is why you should "ICE" those people. In my phone, hubby is #2 speed dial (voice mail come preset to #1) and I have it listed "hubby'sname-ICE". The ICE is "In Case of Emergency".

My MIL found my phone at a family event one time and brought it right to me. She said she knew it was mine as soon as she opened it because the banner says "Go Braves!" At least she knows where my allegiances lie.
                There was a bit ran, a little while back, that some people took as a hoax, but it's true. Most (if not all) Emergency response teams are being trained to look through cell phones for the ICE number. They do say it's best to put ICE first (because then it's easier to find, through a quick search). But really if you haven't done this with your cell phone yet, please do, because it does help, a great deal, if you get into a sticky situation.

Um...yeah, I'm curious about the restraining order too. Though, when considered, along side the bail bond, I've got my money on the restraining order being against the owner.
                "God appreciates your editing" -Kes

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
                  Although I don't think I condone looking through a customer's wallet, I would have myself out of pure curiosity and I agree, the contents you found are... Interesting. o_o
                  I'm awful, I know.

I was just looking for his name (and hopefully phone number) so I could contact him, but as soon as I saw that bail receipt, I just couldn't help myself from rummaging around in there.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  For him or against him?
                  The restraining order was against him.

Update: He came back for his wallet today.

I had noticed that the bail receipt had several conditions listed, and one of those conditions was to avoid drinking alcohol or going to places that sold it. Which would include my wine shop. According to my manager, we have no legal liability for having sold him a bottle on Monday. If he'd been caught, he would have forfeited his bail and gone straight to jail without passing Go, etc. But there would be no consequences for the vendor. We can't be expected to know these things, after all.

When he came in today for his wallet, he decided to buy a bottle of wine. However, now that I know he's not supposed to be drinking, I just couldn't do it. It may well have been legal for me to sell to him, but I just didn't feel right about it.

I just looked at him and said, "Um, need I remind you that I have had your wallet and all its contents in my possession for the last 24 hours?"

It took him a few seconds, but eventually a look of realization came over his face and he left. Looking a bit embarrassed, I might add.

I'd feel badly about it, but like I said, he's been a real dick in the past.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

You could have informed your local Police, there is normally a reason for the bail conditions, so if he's an arse then its a (lawful) way at getting back at him.
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I know in some places it is illegal to carry id that isn't yours.

In the future I wouldn't hesitate to contact PD when you are left with a wallet with multiple id's.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                        - 3 driver's licenses, all with different addresses, all expired.
                        - - Receipt for the posting of bail
                        - Notice to appear on charges of DUI
                        - Copy of restraining order

Does anyone else already think what I'm thinking? Can you say criminal?

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                          The restraining order was against him.
                          Ah...I see.

Thanks for the update.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                            I just looked at him and said, "Um, need I remind you that I have had your wallet and all its contents in my possession for the last 24 hours?"
                            Boozy, know that there are people out here building unobtrusive little shrines in your honor. You display most admirable traits as a human being.

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
                              A store I worked a LONG time ago had a policy that if the owner of a lost or forgotten item could not be contacted by the end of the shift, the item(s) had to be inventoried (two people present for this, one of whom had to be a manager), documented, and then everything locked in the store's safe.

If nobody claimed it within 30 days, it became the property of the person who found it, with the exception of items like ID, credit cards, or checks. If there was cash in there, it was yours. None of the items I ever found had cash in them, though.....
                              We leave cells and wallets sit at the counter for a week. If its still there then it goes bye bye. In the trash or up on the roof. Yeah theres a few cell phones up on our roof from over the years.

Quoth Jacen View Post
                              If we cant find mom, dad, etc we wait for it to ring then tell them that it was left at our store and to let the person know when they talk to them again.

Right before Christmas some guy left a wallet with $400+ in it. I looked in it and found his ID and looked his number up. It took him FOUR days to come back in for it. When I talked to him on the phone he said he lived an hour away and didnt wish to go back out that night. He said he would be back in for it the next day. If it had been me I would have came right back even if I was 3 hours away!

Comment

Look on the bright side,

If the wallet is in decent shape you've walked away with a prize.
                                Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Working...
                                X