This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it rains, it floods.

Ok, so some background info. I work at a McD's connected to a BP gas station. We aren't that big, so it can turn "busy" pretty fast.

Well,today was just horrible and I knew it right when we opened. I can usually tell how the day is going to go, based on my first customers. My first customers ordered two vanilla iced coffees. For those who work at a McD's can tell you how time consuming these can be. So, I make them so I can hand them out right away. I get to the drive thru window and collect money. The guy in the passenger seat says

"How long does it take to make coffee?"

I look at him with THAT look,hold up one of the iced coffees and said

"These?"

He shut up right away.

You can tell what kind of day this is going to be.

At opening, we usually have three people :Manager,grill person, and front counter person. We happened to have our new manager also, so she can be trained on opening. Well, it got extremely busy. I'm working drive thru by myself, with the new manager, K, getting my food. At one point, K had to be at the front counter, thus leaving me to take the order, money and get the food. Pretty difficult when as soon as someone pulls forward, another car comes up. We got one of our grill people to come in early, to help out R, who was there by himself, with no burritos rolled because the closing people didn't do it (as they were supposed to). Guess what people wanted the most of? BURRITOS! Main manager D steps in to help out grill.

Well, at one point, our lights flicker and everything shuts down for a moment. Power surge and more people coming through drive thru. I can't take orders or money because the computers have to reboot. Finally, we get things up and running, but not fully.

Our card readers are down. No credit, no debit. Can only take cash. Now, most customers do carry cash, just in case, or just pay up front with cash. Of course, there are a few asshats who only carry cards. A few of the asshats were actually nice and understood. One guy...he was lucky I didn't have a pencil to stab him with.

After trying his card more than a few times, I calmly explain to him that we just had a power surge and our card reader has not booted up. I asked him

"Sir, do you have cash on you that we can use instead?"

"No."

I gave him a look like 'Ouch.Sorry."

"None at all?"

"No."

So I am at a loss of what to do. I had already given him his coffee and both managers were busy. He is looking at me as I'm trying to decide whether or not to just let him have it and be on his way. I wanted to do that for him, but I didn't know if I would get in trouble. He hands me back his coffee and starts going off on blah blah blah. I told him

"Sorry. We just had a power surge."

"It's not my fault, so don't go blaming me."

I'm thinking 'Wtf? When did I ever indicate that it was his fault?'

He starts saying stuff, but the drive thru had beeped and I didn't hear him. Mamacita comes up and asked me

"What did he just say?"

"I dunno. F**k him. I don't care."

So time wears on and it continues to be busy and I'm pretty much alone. I dared to look at the clock and it is fifteen past seven. I looked at K and said

"Isn't someone supposed to be here at seven?"

"Yeah. Ky,Da,and B are supposed to be here, but they haven't showed up yet."

Seven o'clock people usually come in to be cash people and take over the headset so the opener can go on their break. So, my tummy is rumbling, I'm feeling like I'm going to pass out, and still freaken busy.

So, the d-bags were out in full force. We had people talking too softly, I got their orders wrong and they got mad when I asked to repeat. I had people saying their orders so slowly, as though I were stupid because I work at McD's. I had people yelling, almost giving me a panic attack and I couldn't hear them that way. I had some people who took so long of pauses between items, that I assumed they were done (now, we aren't allowed to ask if that is all and not everyone says that is everything), so i would tell them their total and they would get huffy and say "I'M NOT DONE YET!" I had people say their order is correct on the screen when I asked them if it was and then they came in later, bitching and moaning that their order was wrong.

As for the card thing, to prevent having to hold up the drive thru line, we posted a note at the drive thru, stating that we cannot accept cards at this time. I swear the same lady came through about ten times, asking. Then she asked if the gas station was accepting credit cards. Ok, I'm working at the McD's, not the gas station. Get out of the car and go ask them yourselves.

It was around eight when my cash taker came in, late. I almost cried with relief, but it was premature. We were running out of everything. Ice,iced coffee,coffee. Since I was order taker, I was the one who was "mobile", but the people kept coming, so I couldn't even get out of my area without that dreaded beep calling me back to my screen of doom.

It was eight thirty when I finally got my break. I'm so glad to get my food because I was about ready to pass out and I welcomed the bitter taste of my black coffee. After my break, I go back,fresh as a daisy. Of course, our regional manager (I think he was our regional manager), J, came in because of the power surge. So, I have three different managers, telling me to do three different things, plus do the neverending drive thru. I go to do one thing and then I'm told 'Don't go do that! This needs to get done!"

Finally,my shift is over. Two people had not showed up and never called.

Casualty count : My sanity

Sorry this was so long. This is my first post and it was just a hard day. Were these people sucky because I was so stressed out or were they just sucky in general?

One good thing did come out of this. I got a thing for a free meal and dessert for holding up and keeping my cool (even though I did get short with a guy on headset).
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

I don't carry cash on me, does this make me an asshat?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      No. But power will fail and other reasons (was in one shop where cashier split drink on POS terminal) when you can not use your card. Solution is to carry a few blank cheques(and a mini pen) and/or cash.

Comment

no, I don't carry cash either... I'd say minorly irritating when you have to tell the person never mind I can't pay so cancel the order and either go somewhere else that can take a card or find an ATM and come back... asshat would be if you did something like insist they give you the food for free because the card reader was broken.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Hibble View Post
          No. But power will fail and other reasons (was in one shop where cashier split drink on POS terminal) when you can not use your card. Solution is to carry a few blank cheques(and a mini pen) and/or cash.
          I carry my cheque book with me in my work bag, but a lot of places don't take cheques anymore. (I only carry it because I had to pay a bill while I was at work, so I filled out the cheque and dropped it in the mail-slot there.)
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I always carry cash.

It doesn't make you an asshat not to, but I like having that option just in case the card machines are down, and I'm weaning myself off checks except for mailed payments.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Depends on if you act like an asshat when someplace can't take cards.
              Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I didn't mean that anyone who does not carry cash is an asshat. Like smiley said, it does get pretty annoying when the power fails and we have to pull a busy manager aside to do promos (at our store, we have to have a manager do it). Most of the people who didn't have cash were asshats about the card reader not working. It was just really bad timing.
                "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                  Depends on if you act like an asshat when someplace can't take cards.
                  Of course not. But the OP specifically said:

Of course, there are a few asshats who only carry cards. A few of the asshats were actually nice and understood.
                  Which made me think that people who only carry a debit or credit card is an asshat. Even going as far as to say the people who were nice and understood the situation were asshats.
                  Odd I think.

Comment

I rarely if ever have cash on me, if I do, it's only a few bucks for lunch break at work. My debit card is my entire world. I hate change.

To the OP, WELCOME! I'm sorry to hear all that happened in just one shift.

Have a dirty martini on me
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I guess my humor didn't go too far. Sorry if I offended anyone =(

Comment

We used to lose the registers to various maladies fairly regular at Kinkos. If I was running register when this happened, and it looked like my line was getting really full, I'd pull everyone aside with orders less than ten bucks, tell them "Happy Birthday" and dismiss them with their orders. Just gave it to them free.

Gave me far fewer pissed off customers to deal with. An order less than ten bucks was chump change. We lost far more than a couple ten dollar orders worth of time and materials every single day just clearing paper jams out of machines. Screw it, not worth making a disatisfied customer out of an otherwise happy one. I let them go and then had more time to deal with the large orders. Far fewer of those.

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                          I guess my humor didn't go too far. Sorry if I offended anyone =(
                          You didn't offend anyone, I was just confused and asking what you meant by it. Have a cookie.

*gives cookie*

Comment

=) Good. I'm glad I didn't *splits cookie with EvilQueen*

Comment

I've always got cash on me, just in case. In Australia, a lot of places seemed to have a minimum amount for card payments (in the region of $5-10), but that doesn't seem to be the case in the UK. I just hate getting my card out for something that costs less than £5 - it seems so unnecessary. I used to work on the cash only lane at the the grocery store, and it drove me insane when people would come through with a huge load of stuff, then hand you their card with a big grin, in full view of the THREE signs saying 'Cash Only'.
                              God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Working...
                              X