Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would love to help you, if you let me...(a bit long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would love to help you, if you let me...(a bit long)

Okay, these ladies were nice, so I don't want to call them sucky, but I was a bit disappointed in how this came out.
    I'm in the hospitality program at my college, and part of the program is that once a week we dress up in a uniform and work in the fancy restaurant on campus. It's a real restaurant, and really high brow. It has really fancy things on the menu like special soups, seafood, and pastas with ingredients I have never heard of. Last week the pasta special had hedgehog, portobello and shiitake mushrooms, and everyone thought there was actually hedgehog in it until I corrected them.

Anyway, back to my story. I served these two ladies at lunch. I believe they both had the omelette, which comes with a salad. After I served the meals, I waited about 5 minutes and went back to make sure everything was good (we have teachers watching to make sure we do these things), and both ladies told me it was delicious, they don't need any drinks, etc. About ten minutes later, they looked done, so I went over. One lady was still eating though, (although there wasn't much left). So I just asked again if everything was good, and the response was affirmative. I then waited until I was definitely sure they were done and then I went to clear their plates and bring over the dessert menu. (I wasn't hovering, I did most of my wait in the kitchen, and I occasionally made up something important to do at the bar and "walk past")

While I was clearing, the one lady said to me "If you don't mind, I like you to mention to the chef that my omelette was very runny." The other lady says "Oh, I didn't think I got very much dressing on my salad either."
    Okay, I asked them twice. Why couldn't they have said something? I could have brought some more dressing over at the very least. I apologized and promised I would bring it up to the chef. When I brought the plates into the kitchen, I got the chef's attention and told her what the ladies had said, but it was too late to fix anything. She just thanked me for the feedback.

Anyway, one of the ladies left, but the other lingered over her coffee for a bit, which was perfectly okay. After she paid and was gone, I was changing the linen and another student asked me what number the table was. I told her it was 8 and then I took the linen into the kitchen to put it in the basket, and the other student (C) came with me. While I was in there, I heard this.
    C: Oh Chef, the customer at table 8 had a complaint. She said the omelette was runny and the salads didn't have enough dressing.
    (at this point, I'm going WTF)
    Chef: Didn't you say something like that, mariamousie1?
    Me: Yes, I already told this to the chef.
    C: Really? The customer stopped me ten minutes ago and asked me to tell the chef.
    Chef: She must have wanted to make sure I got the message.

But still, I don't know why she told two people. I guess I should have told her I told the chef, but it never occurred to me. Weird. Still, I was a little upset because I want the customers to be happy. Nobody should have to eat an entire meal they aren't satisfied with. I wish they had said something sooner. Still, they were nice, and they left a nice tip, not that I got to keep it, but that's more of a rant about my teachers. So not that sucky, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Sorry, you're required to work as free staff at the campus restaurant, and the tip for the quality of *your* service doesn't go to you? That sort of thinking is why I hated the required 'volunteer' work in college.

Comment

Hey, my college had one of those too! And with the prices customers paid being almost cost, and the fact that we were all learning, you'd think there would have been fewer SCs (the customers were always professors, professors' friends, etc.)
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I can actually kinda sorta understand not paying you for the work itself, but you should be allowed to keep the tips at least...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The tips all go to pay for parties and stuff in the hospitality program, so it's not like we get nothing out of it, but I still kind of feel robbed every time I have to hand them over. Especially when the customer says "that's for you" when they leave it.
          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I have friends that refuse to tip unless the person serving them is the one getting the tip.

Comment

There wasn't any hedgehog in it??? I personally would have gone around calling it something like "the Sonic Special"...

Comment

Quoth Darkwish View Post
                There wasn't any hedgehog in it??? I personally would have gone around calling it something like "the Sonic Special"...
                It's probably Nanny Ogg's favorite dish.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  That's not why she likes hedgehogs.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                    There's something special about a Wizard's...........
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth mariamousie1 View Post
                      Still, I was a little upset because I want the customers to be happy. Nobody should have to eat an entire meal they aren't satisfied with. I wish they had said something sooner.
                      I'm a cynic.

Here's my interpretation of their behaviour.

They said everything was fine to you because it WAS.

Once there was no evidence of a problem, however, they informed you there was a problem - expecting you to inform a superior, who would come over, be all obsequious, and give them money off/a free dessert/whatever else they could scam out of them.

When that didn't happen, they told someone else, in the hopes it would.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think that Seshat is probably right about this; the entire story just doesn't make sense otherwise. I am glad, however, that they were decent to you the entire time. This could have easily devolved into a complete horror story instead of simply a weird moment....although, actually, another theory does present itself. If I were to be kind, I could surmise that they were mystery shoppers who wanted to see how you handled a complaint, and told another person just as a way of double-checking that you did what you were going to do? I guess it's plausible, but I'm pretty sure that there's a law out there that if two explanations are equally plausible, and one is simpler than the other, you should stick with the simpler one. Thus I'm sticking with Seshat's idea. :P

Also, Terry Pratchett = Win. Also Also, this is my first unmoderated post! I am officially not a spambot!!!
                        Last edited by Marszenka; 12-01-2009, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Oh, that hedgehod can never be buggered at all.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          There's something special about a Wizard's...........
                          What? Their staff? Everyone knows that a wizard's staff has a knob on the end.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Oh, that hedgehod can never be buggered at all.

What? Their staff? Everyone knows that a wizard's staff has a knob on the end.
                            We can rule you whole sale!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqCbOJc6RU
                            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

We can rule you whole sale!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqCbOJc6RU
                              Okay, that was awesome!!

Hner ner ner ner ner ner ner!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X