This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students can also be morons

Well I was working for some extra cash providing Tech Support for a Colleges apartment complex since the complex was hooked into the campus T1 line. I was amazed at how some people just were completely computer illerate.

To suffice it to say I was called to some apartment that I was told was having internet connection issues. I do not generally speak to the students while I am fixing their computer.

Phone does not go there

This guy had a NIC card but he had a phone cord from a phone outlet plugged quite badly into his NIC card. Told him he had to obviously get a CAT5 cable.

No NIC no work

Unlike the previous student, this one failed to have a network card at all and wondered why the internet did not work. O_O
    Never Underestimate the Element of Surprise - Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

I think I've seen every combination of network card, Cat 5, Cat 3 (that's the phone cord, right? I can never remember), modem, telephone port and network port possible. It's quite amazing to see what they think will work.

The most frustrating for me, though, is when a student wants me to install a NIC, and then I get over, and they have a fully functional one onboard.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Cat-# refers to the cable quality (I think). The connectors at the ends are usually refered to as RJ-# Network cable connectors are RJ-45 and phone connectors are RJ-11, I believe. Technically you could have Cat-5 with an RJ-11 connector on it, but it would be kind of silly.

***DISCLAIMOR***

Feel free to correct me. This knowledge is so old it had rust on it when I finally pried it from the recesses of my mind.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Thanks, Geek King. I need to wake up. Maybe I'll think better. RJ-11 sounds right.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

It should be noted that "cat" is short for category. Here's a handy reference: http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...211752,00.html

In practice, most techs will refer to only 2 types; cat5 and cat1. This is because the cat5 cables are most widespread and easier to communicate. Personally, when I heard someone at Best Buy say, "The Cat6 cables are over there," I though he was on crack until I saw they were actually labelled as such. I had to look up and determine why there was a new spec and see what the big deal was.

BTW,GK, RJ11 is for 2 pair (traditional phone) and RJ45 for 4 pair (traditional network). To make a functional phone connection, only one pair are needed and for a network connection, you can get away with two pair for a 10baseT. If you want some real speed, go with a fiber optic cable.
          Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Thanks Kilamon, it's been awhile since I've had to think much on the subject.

BTW, if you want REAL speed, try an ATM network. But you need a spare million dollars laying around for it. I'm a little short, myself.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
              In practice, most techs will refer to only 2 types; cat5 and cat1.
              Don't forget CAT-5E.

Not much difference really, but 5E supposedly makes a more satisfying noose to execute those annoying customers.
              Proactive Karma Engineer

Comment

There is a good reason for using CAT5 with RJ-11 connectors; it provides shielding against radio interference. If your home is under a radio broadcast tower and you try to use untwisted cable (regular flat phone cable) you'll actually pick up the radio signal. So by using the CAT5, you have a twisted pair that shields it from interference.

Comment

Quoth Mr B Rabbit View Post
                  Don't forget CAT-5E.
                  How about CAT-SUP?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    How about CAT-SUP?
                    Use only when serving 20 gauge, 1 pair, stranded, shielded, jacketed plenum.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      How about CAT-SUP?

Rapscallion
                      Quoth Cia View Post
                      Use only when serving 20 gauge, 1 pair, stranded, shielded, jacketed plenum.
                      However, it is frequently used when serving French fries, hot dogs, and select types of boxed Macaroni and Cheese.
                      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Raerlynn View Post
                        There is a good reason for using CAT5 with RJ-11 connectors; it provides shielding against radio interference. If your home is under a radio broadcast tower and you try to use untwisted cable (regular flat phone cable) you'll actually pick up the radio signal. So by using the CAT5, you have a twisted pair that shields it from interference.

DUDE! seriously? Could that be why I often get random phone conversations transposed over the one I was having? It happens often, and while the OTHER person's conversation comes through loud and clear, the person on the other end of MY convo can't hear me anymore, and vice versa.
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                          DUDE! seriously?
                          mhmmm. It's not exactly uncommon to pick various signals on things like telephones and even headphones.

Comment

Quoth Raerlynn View Post
                            Good point, I didn't think about that. I generally work in interference free environs, so random pickup isn't much of an issue.
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                              mhmmm. It's not exactly uncommon to pick various signals on things like telephones and even headphones.
                              yeah, it's happened to me on headphones before, but I've never had it happen on a landline phone (not a cordless handset either) until I moved into my current apartment.
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X