This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easier issue = more SC drama?

Has anyone in tech support noticed that it seems the customers who scream the loudest often have the simplest issue to fix?

Two such bloatware calls spring to mind, both from when I worked for Bingo-****. The first was a lady who didn't speak english too well. She had just started her service, but her TV was only showing in french. She rambled on and on ad nauseum about how crappy our service was because we didn't give her an instructions manual. First of all she got the package from a 3rd party retailer, and it was their responsibility to make sure the package was complete. But no that wasn't good enough for Ms. Rambler, since we let the 3rd party retailer carry our stuff it must be our fault. Second, I highly doubt she would have read the manual in any event.

Finally after a lot of theatrics, we finally get to troubleshooting. I ask her the usual questions (what do you see on the tv, what happens when you press X button, etc), and she gets steamed again. She thinks I'm wasting her time with these stupid questions, am I actually going to fix her issue? Oh no you don't, I very sternly advised her asking questions is the first step in any t-shooting. I think I actually scared her, and she actually started cooperating.

Her issue? Tv was showing french because she was on a french channel. Changed to an english channel, issue fixed. All of 30 seconds out of a 15 minute call.

But Ms. Rambler had to keep going on about unrelated crap after that. I asked her twice if she needed anything else, she just kept going. My shift was already over and I'd had enough, hung up on her in mid-ramble.

The second bloatware call was from an older gentlemen, again new to our service (joy). Again before we can get down to business he had to, in long-winded detail, complain about the last agent he spoke to who he couldn't understand, and how he was taking such a huge chance on our service, wanted someone who spoke english and sympathized with his dire plight.

His issue was a snow screen. Two button clicks to turn on his decoder box, less than 30 seconds, issue fixed. To his credit, his demeanor brightened after that. But still alot of drama for a small fix.

Anyone else notice this?
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Oh my WORD yes! And it's always the customers who HAVE to buy the latest whizz bang bells and whistles phone, even though all they do is make and receive calls. WHY buy a windows mobile handset when you don't even know how to use your COMPUTER?? I beg of you!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
      Oh my WORD yes! And it's always the customers who HAVE to buy the latest whizz bang bells and whistles phone, even though all they do is make and receive calls. WHY buy a windows mobile handset when you don't even know how to use your COMPUTER?? I beg of you!
      I'll take my wizzes and bangs sepeately, thank you. I'll leave putting them together for the odder sites on the web.

--GK, operating on four hours sleep thanks to a skivvy server last night.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

One of the sports people has been calling like crazy because ONE OF FOUR!!!! computers in her office isn't connecting to the internet. Of course, not a priority.

So kept calling and calling and calling and calling. So finally I go over with a student. I send the student to her to test the port and cable. Door is locked.

Then she calls AGAIN. So *I* go over.

After all that fuss, it's a dead network cable. (dead because she had it wrapped up in a tight coil, and according to the cable tester broke like four or 5 connections.)

"Oh, I should have thought to test the cable on my machine...."

Yeah, DITZ!!
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          "Oh, I should have thought to test the cable on my machine...."
          Hehe I bet it took some effort *not* to strangle her with it
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Following the rules of this website, I can not go into that.

Just like I'm not talking about AAFH the second lately!
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Here, most students don't know enough to keep their cables un-kinked. I see waaay too many power cables and cords that have been looped and knotted together, and they wonder why it doesn't work anymore!
              Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
              "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
              "The queue is..."

Comment

In my networking class we were introduced to various cable types, including fiber. One of the first things the instructor says when passing the length of cable around the class was to not bend or coil it tightly.

What does the last student do? Yup, bend it in two.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                X