This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to do a :HeadDesk: using YOUR head. LONG

This is from my current (Soon to be former) job.

My job is to research items submitted by insureds for replacement costs. Example- Chair- $975. Seems basic, but it's not. Is that a dining room chair? A living room chair? Is it fabric, leather? Did they get it from Walmart or from Macy's? Every little thing makes a HUGE difference. The less information we have the harder it is to find best match. It really a pain when it comes to computers.

Obviously, we sometimes get crap lists.

One day I got a ten item claim. The claim had already been open for quite a while and the adjuster called EVERY SINGLE day looking for the claim, even though she had been given a target date. I worked the claim and sent it off.

SIX WEEKS later, I get an email from the adjuster. It was on a Wednesday afternoon.

SA= Sucky adjuster

Me= You guessed it!
    Italics= Thought/sidenotes

SA: Insurance Guru- these items need to be repriced.
    Me: Will do, have a full workload this week, won't get to it until next week.
    At that point our whole department was about 3 days behind as we service the entire country- 7 offices with about 20-30 adjusters. We have 14 people to handle the inventories. You do the math. Basically we are always swampped. Re-do's are not factored into our daily assignments, ever.
    SA: NO! This needs to be done NOW! I leave for vacation on Monday and the insured is pissed this isn't done.
    Wait, I gave this to you 6 weeks ago and it's STILL sitting on your desk... And this is MY problem HOW?
    ME: *Talks with super, emails back* Alright, because the insured is upset, I'll do my best to have it before you leave on Friday. Wait, what is that saying about lack of planning and an emergency?

A little while later, I had a lull, so I looked at what I had done originally and the addional information on the items, but something isn't matching up. The orignal had ONE (1) Computer and ONE (1) TV. The list she sent back had TWO (2) computers and ONE (1) Tv. Another email discussion ensued:

Me: I see on the sheet you submitted there are 2 computers, which one should I use?
    SA: Yes, that is the addtional information on the computers.
    Me: I see that. Which one would you like me to use?
    SA: You need to add the TV.
    Me: So there are two TV's on the claim and two computers?
    SA: What is your problem? That is the addtional information on the ORIGNAL TV. ONE TV only.
    ME: SA, THANK YOU. Please look at the inventory you just sent to me. Do you see that there are two computers on it?
    SA: Yes.
    Me: There is only ONE on the claim. Do I need to add one?
    SA: That's the info on the TV
    Me: Thanks, I figured I've got the info on the TV. I'm talking about the computer. and wondering if I need to wake up the hamster in your head
    SA: Yeah, that's the information on the computer.
    Me: WHICH COMPUTER? There are TWO here, and ONE on the claim!
    SA: Why is this so hard for you to understand? That is the additional information the TV and the addtional information on the computer.
    She did NOT just fucking go there!

At that point, I print out the original and print out the addtional information and bring it to my desk. I highlight the computers and walk down to her desk and slam it on it.

ME: Which computer?
    SA: *startled* Uh what?
    ME: *shows papers with uneven amounts of computers*
    SA: Uh, I don't know.
    Me: Did you look at this before you sent it up?
    SA: No.
    Me: Did you look at is as I was sending you an email asking WHICH ONE?
    SA: Uh, no I don't have time. I didn't read your emails, I just replied with what I thought you were asking about.
    Me: I figured. This has been on YOUR desk for 6 weeks. The insured is pissed at you and now you're blaming it on my department? No. I will ask this again? WHICH COMPUTER? Look RIGHT NOW while I am standing here!
    SA: I don't know.
    Me: Find out.
    SA: But I don't have time to call the insured. They are already mad! .... Where are you going?
    Me: Back to work. If you don't know which thing I need to fix how am I supposed to know? Figure it out and email me back.
    SA: But I need this Friday!
    Me:

*This was the 5th claim in a row, she pulled this crap with me. Didn't like what I said, so she called my super. By the time I got back to my desk, she was on the line with my super who READ all my emails to her before I went down there. After that I told him that I was done working her claims. She hated that I told her NO and pushed back, so he'd call my super every.single.time.- Most of the time he would back me up, but once she got the RIGHT information, she would call him direct and he would fix it for her. Fine I was done with her. Although one time I did one of her claims and gave it to my co-worker to send off. Nothing ever came back on that one. Interesting...*
    Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 05-12-2008, 04:21 AM.
    You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Oh geez. And heaven forbid YOU should ever make a mistake, because that will suddenly be the end of the world and you'll never hear the end of it. Even though you spent so much time already cleaning up SA's mistakes, she'll make it look like *sigh* she's aaalways having to deal with your mistakes.

Sorry, that hit a sore spot with me, can you tell? I like the people I work with, but sometimes I reeeally want to strangle someone.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That makes me so flippin' upset. You're trying to work with someone and they are creating all sorts of issues which would be solved by simply READING the information.

Yeah, that whole "lack of planning...." gets nowhere with me. It's not my fault your such an asshat that you forget to handle your business...the thing about people like this is that they'll never learn their lesson as long as others keep picking up their slack.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

That whole rigamaroo is why phone conversations are sometimes better than email. I think you could have saved a lot of time and frustration if you had called after repeating the question a second time.

Comment

Damn. I feel your pain. Just last week, I got to hear a co-worker whine because their email wasn't working...and hadn't been for the past 2 weeks. My reply? "Are you fucking kidding me? You've known about this for *2* weeks, didn't tell me until now, and you're whining about missing messages? Cry me a freaking river..."

Sorry, but that crap doesn't fly with me either. I have better things to do with my time than make sure everyone's equipment works properly. Something fails, let me know, dammit! Don't let it drag on for 2 weeks, and then get pissy because I didn't fix it sooner. I can't read minds people!
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
            That whole rigamaroo is why phone conversations are sometimes better than email. I think you could have saved a lot of time and frustration if you had called after repeating the question a second time.
            Did that too- but left it out of the story because it seemed long enough already.

What really tans my hide is I just got an email from our department head- She got "praise" for actually doing her job correctly! She didn't go "above and beyond" but for once DID HER JOB and is PRAISED? This company is so backwards!

*Stares at resignation letter on desk wanting to just say fk it and walk out.*
            Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 05-12-2008, 04:35 PM.
            You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post
              *Stares at resignation letter on desk wanting to just say fk it and walk out.*
              Make sure to either blast, or sing Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It" on the way out
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

might I just offer the simple but meaningful reply of

HUG (yes, for you - no, not arround coirkers neck)

Comment

oh I feel your pain insurance guru... I get that with hotel employees all the time... I'll call them and tell them I'm from central reservations, I have a guest that they transfered to me that needs help with a housing restricted reservation and can I speak to someone there to make the adjustment to the reservation... and then they transfer me back to central. OH, I went balistic on one of the MODs because of that once, I basically told him that I wasn't calling back to get it fixed, I was calling back to tell him how pissed I was that his front desk person though I was so stupid that if it wasn't something I could do that I hadn't already thought to turn to the person sitting to my left (i really did get the person sitting next to me) to ask them for help... I told him I was giving him the heads up that I would be advising the guest on the proper procedure for filing a complaint against the hotel with guest relations before hanging up bringing the guest on the line and making good on my threat. Oddly, i didn't get fired for that.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                  X