This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEED Asshattery (Long...)

Ok, this one is long, but ultimately, our bosses’ backed us up on it.

I work at a kind of continuing education type facility at CNM as a work-study. I cover the front desk in the mornings until the regular person, T, comes in around 9-9:30. On 1 May, I get this, for lack of a better word, jackass on the phone. He’s wanting to get registered for a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) class that we were offering on 5/6. He’s condescending from the get-go, but that’s not the problem. He mentions that he’s a CNM employee (this is key later). Okey-dokey, I’ll make note of that and you’ll get your discount. Well, he starts asking if this will help with his engineering skills or something to that effect. I’m thinking, “Dude, I don’t even know what LEED stands for.” I tell him that I don’t really know anything about it, but I could transfer him to the co-ordinator for the class and she could answer his questions. This is where it starts to go downhill. He says is the most condescending tone you can ever imagine, “We’ll get to that in a moment.”

He wants to know about the procedure to get registered. I explain to him that he can come in in person and pay with a check or money order immediately. However, if he’s wanting to pay by credit card, I can take his info, it gets sent over to Main Campus, and someone from the Cashier’s office will call him to get the number. This is CNM policy, btw. This is when he started to get mean, nasty, rude, etc. He was just bound and determined that I was going to take his CC info then, I didn’t know what I was talking about, just stopped short of calling me stupid. I was getting ready to tell him that that was enough and if he was going to continue in this manner I was going to hang-up. He decided that he was going to go over to the Cashier’s office and pay since I obviously didn’t know what I was talking about and hung-up on me. YAY! I told T what had happened and she told me I would have been perfectly justified in hanging up.

Fast-forward to that afternoon. T calls me and asks me, “Guess who called back.” Yep, Mr. LEED. Went through the same conversation that I had with him. Even down to going to the Cashier’s office. Well, 15 minutes later, guess who’s back on the phone with T! She didn’t even get a word out before he started yelling at her. She hung up on him. T called the Cashier’s office the next day. The person that this asshat had been talking to wasn’t there, but the person that T was talking to was and heard his end of it and confirmed how much of a jackass this guy was. We thought that was the end of it.

Would I be posting this if it was?

On 6 May, guess who come waltzing in to register for the LEED class (which he couldn’t have anyway, since you have to register at least 2 business days before the class)? T knew who it was immediately who it was from his voice. She made like she was going to take his info and gets a name from him. She then let him know that she was the one he was on the phone with on the 1st. Well, all of sudden he couldn’t look her in the eye or get out of there fast enough. But, as he’s on the way out the door, and there’s someone in between them, he yells, “I also have a memory and I think you all need to get it together.” Yeah, you’re the “big man” buddy. So much of a coward that you can’t even say that to our faces! One of those stereotypical short men that have a chip on their shoulders because their short. Which could have been fun if I had been down there. I’m only 5'4", but T said I was taller than him. And my mom is 5'10" and I’ve learned some body language from her. Like folding my arms, standing up very straight, and looking down at the person. I might not have the height, but I’ve got the attitude!

Since T e-mailed our director everything that went on, our centers' director (who used to be a bouncer and bartender) has forwarded it all to CNM's VP for Academic Affairs and the Security Director. What an idiot, we've got his name, did he think we wouldn't come after him? I don't know what has happened since all of this went down, but I have my fantasies. What's awful is that this idiot works as a tutor. I feel bad for anyone that gets help from him.

Best part is, the class that he was sooooo wanting to take was cancelled! I’m just glad the co-ordinator for the LEED classes never had to talk to him. She is one of the sweetest people on the planet and I would have hated for her to have to take his abuse.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Tasty tasty poetic justice.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Sounds like a moron ... regardless of height.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

That is one of the things I like about being tall (well, ok, except for low ceilings there's not much I DON'T like). When one of those little asshats decides he or she is the "big man" around here, straightening to full height and adding a death glare simply works wonders on their behavior.

Fortunately I seem to have good luck with people, regardless of height; the only time I have to pull that out is when working with the kids at my church. Love 'em to death, but good god can they be a pain in the ass sometimes.

And back on topic, great job handling that guy! He kind of amazed me though; I can kind of understand people going batsh*t loco on, say, phone orders or customer service; after all, it's not like the customer will ever come to the CSR's company and actually meet the person they're tormenting. When you're trying to register for something and will almost definitely meet the person you spoke to on the phone, being rude simply means the CSR will feed you your phone in your digestive system's access or egress port.
        Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
        --Unknown

Comment

Working...
        X