This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Leztwerp View Post
    One very nice lady who looked to be in her mid forties, dressed in a sweater set and pearls said "Oh those are nice, and pretty too, you don't normally see pretty ones like that. Was it hard to find blue ones?"

Mid forties is old enough to have taken part in the first rush to modification. I know it is still more of a sub-culture activity, but if you notice it is becoming more and more mainstream.
    Tamezin

Comment

Quoth tamezin View Post
      I know it is still more of a sub-culture activity, but if you notice it is becoming more and more mainstream.
      'Bout time. People (Americans mostly, but maybe others) get way too excited about everything. So you've got some tattoos and piercings - who cares?

This is just something else about people that pisses me off. You don't like tattoos/piercings? Fine. DON'T GET ANY. But don't try and push your feelings/beliefs onto me when you see that I look marginally different from you.

(Not body modding, but something that's still a stigma - long hair on guys. How dare I do such a horrific thing.)
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
        long hair on guys. How dare I do such a horrific thing.
        I LOVE long hair on guys, then again, I'm a product of the 80's hair metal (does that date me?). My son is currently growing his hair long and I've noticed the shaggy look is back which makes me HAPPY!
        Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM.
        You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

http://www.zug.com/pranks/tattoo/

Comment

Work is the exact and only reason that when I get my tat it isn't going to be visible. I do office work right now and even though it's becoming "normal" to have a tattoo it is still frowned upon sometimes.

This is also the reason my bf won't completely sleeve his arm out. He's got a really awesome Japanese landcsape (with no symbols in it . He's actually really into the culture) but it stops at his elbow and can be covered with a shirt.

Heres a link. I don't know how to post a pic in here. Crappy quality due to being taken on a camera phone.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=8791993
            www.myspace.com/queenofevrything

Comment

Just a note on the whole "how dare HR managers discriminate based on appearance."

It's part of the dress code. Don't like it? You don't have to work there.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Just a note on the whole "how dare HR managers discriminate based on appearance."

It's part of the dress code. Don't like it? You don't have to work there.

^-.-^
                Agreed and comma however, when they discriminate AFTER you get/got/have the job is a whole different can of worms. Because they cannot ask what color hair/skin/eyes X person had when hired... but after seeing that person and then blocking them IS discrimination.
                You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

^^ But not likely of the sort that is actionable. And not one that I would condemn them for anyway. Unlike skin color, national origin, gender, etc., body modification is a choice. While I oppose discrimination when it comes to things that an individual has no control over, I have no problem discriminating against someone because of the choices they have made.

It also depends on where I am when I'm doing the hiring. At a record store, tats and piercings are no big deal. At a financial company? Right out.

That being said, once I get my black belt, there will be tattoos done. At this point it's a toss up of the Cauldron Man dragon and tiger on the insides of the forearms (necessitating long sleeves at work for the rest of my life) or the same on each shoulder.

Comment

My employer is rather lax on body mods, at least for such a big company.

5 piercings per ear, 1 nose stud. No tattoos on the face, no offensive tattoos.

There's a LOT of ink in my store, but not many stretched earlobes. I'm at 00 gauge in my ears, and wear paper thin clear silicone eyelets (can't see them unless you're looking for them), with 6 gauge rings through the holes.

I get some amusing reactions - ranging from "Oh wow, cool" to "Are you in the music industry?" (yes, I really did get that from a customer), to "HOLY SHIT THAT'S GROSS". Most people don't say anything, I probably get 2 or 3 comments a month.

Me:

Comment

Ahaha So wrong and yet so right.

But seriously, you deserve to be pranked like that if you don't even research what it is you ink onto your body.

Want something that looks cool? Fair enough, but do some research into it first.
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        Not always the meaning you think it does: during the Australian Big Brother launch, one guy who thought his tattoo said "warrior" in Japanese found it out actually says "dirt".
                        Bwhahahaha! I love that. I speak Japanese and I always get a good laugh when I see someone with a tattoo that has the character(s) for the word bathroom when the wearer usually thinks it means strength.
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                          Bwhahahaha! I love that. I speak Japanese and I always get a good laugh when I see someone with a tattoo that has the character(s) for the word bathroom when the wearer usually thinks it means strength.
                          Yeah, it was like
                          Japanese Guy: "What's that say on your neck?"
                          Tattoed Guy: "Star Warrior!"
                          JG: "No, it says Star Dirt."
                          TG: "Really? Well an Asian guy did it..."

Comment

Ok, that's funny and mean at the same time.

Of course, it baffles me why these people pick a symbol off a wall in a tatt shop without doing a little research themselves beforehand.

Then again, it baffles me that people will go into a tatt shop with no idea of what they want permanently inked onto their bodies, too.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I have three upper ear piercings in my left ear and one in my right; as well as 3 holes in each lobe. I cover up my upper ear piercings with my hair and don't wear any lobe earrings; and that's cool. I also have hair like Rogue; I've never had anyone bitch at me cuz of it, tho a lot of people have commented favourably on it.

At the country park tho, I had hot pink hair; and some old bat tried to complain about it to my boss. He just laughed at her and told her that as long as it didn't affect my ability to work, he couldn't care less. I can still shovel horse poopy no matter what colour my hair is! XD
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

To each his own, say I, but I used to fence with a guy who had gotten his right nipple pierced.

That's fine and everything, but if I hit him in the right chest area (a major target area), which I did, and it's a cold night, which it was, and he curls up on the ground in the fetal position, which he did, I'm only gonna be marginally sorry. Come on, honey, you've only had the piercing for about a week! If it's tender, stick some cardboard in your shirt or something.

Who shows up on a cold night and lets a chick with a sword pound on their freshly violated nipple with it? I mean, it's not funny, but it kind of is.

Comment

Working...
                                X