This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It hurts, OMG it hurts

I was waiting at the bus stop after a LONG day and my foot fell asleep. The bus arrives and it's not right at the stop so I get up and start to make my way to the bus, queue shooting pain from my foot and me doing a face plant.

Now I can't walk without pain and my ankle is REALLY swollen up.

The insurance office was closed by the time I got home from my day from hell, and IDK which of the many ER's is the one on my insurance.

So waiting to see how bad it hurts tomorrow morning, calling insurance, then going to ER.

Ouch! Just reading that makes me hurt! It sounds like you sprained your ankle. Cooling your ankle should help with the pain and the swelling.
    A trip to the ER is still a good idea.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Ice, elevation, ibuprofin, rest! Those are the best things to help you right now.

I almost hope for your sake it's broken. I sprained my ankle real bad in December and it wasn't fit to walk on for four months.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

sounds like you might have done what i did in high school. My foot was asleep and I got up to answer the phone and i stepped on my foot when it was on its side instead of flat. It was hurty and purple for a while but it healed..

Comment

Living bone behaves more like living wood (think of branches on a tree) than dead wood (sticks that you can snap to make kindling for a campfire).

It's quite possible that you've sprained the foot, which would be damage to the tendons and/or muscles. But you might also have broken one or more bones, but in what's called a 'greenstick' fracture.

Ever broken a living tree branch, and seen how it's not completely broken through? Or how there are so many different kinds of not-completely-broken it can be?
          Living bone is like that. And some greenstick fractures don't show up on X-ray, or only show up at certain angles.

If it doesn't seem to want to heal, follow up with your family doctor. Even if she gets you to get another set of imaging, or another radiologist's opinion on the existing imaging.

Bast had a greenstick fracture of her foot at one point, and they didn't put it in a cast; instead, she wore a kind of hard plastic boot most of the day.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
            I was waiting at the bus stop after a LONG day and my foot fell asleep. The bus arrives and it's not right at the stop so I get up and start to make my way to the bus, queue shooting pain from my foot and me doing a face plant.

Now I can't walk without pain and my ankle is REALLY swollen up.
            If it's still numb, go to the ER *now*. It could be blocked blood flow.

Comment

It's not still numb, but it is still swollen.
              I uh... can't go to a dr right now.
              I'm in TX and my insurance is only good in CA.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                I'm in TX and my insurance is only good in CA.
                If your insurance is an HMO through Medi-Cal, they should cover you for out of area emergency treatment. It's a PITA to get it to go through, but it's supposed to cover you for ER visits. I took a trip out of state not too long ago and verified this with my own insurance company because of my food allergy issue. I was assured that it might take some time and work on my part (calling them, sending them bills, etc.), but they would cover an ER visit out of state.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I got home. Went to urgent care today.
                  They took a lot of xrays and told it's a sprain. I may have hurt some tendons and ligaments, but nothing is broken.

Elevate, Ice, and Ace bandage.

Comment

Yep, I sprained my ankle in April. I actually think I tore a ligament. Ice for a few minutes every hour, keep it elevated and keep the ace bandage on. Even when you sleep. It helps loads.
                    And try not to walk on it too much if you can.
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                    X