This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I just being b*tchy ...

Just saw an "ISO" post on a freebie site ... couple has just bought their first home and need virtually everything in the way of furnishings, including carpets. A few weeks ago I saw a plea from somebody who'd lost everything in a fire and wished I could gift them with an entire houseful of stuff (couldn't due to reasons which I've gone into before, so won't do so again ... but I am now free to get rid of EVERYTHING).

My thoughts are: You bought a house ... and you have nothing for it? Nor any money to buy furnishings? WTF?

Am I just being surly? Should I PM them with an offer for some of the stuff from Mom's house?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I've known people that had nothing when they bought a house. Took them years to get enough to fill it. What it came down to was that a medical emergency hit just after they bought it and that took all the money they had to pay for it. They slept on the floor, but were happy to have a place of their own.

Comment

They sound a lot like me when I bought my first home, I had almost no furniture to fill it with as I was coming from living with my parents and most of the furniture I used there was theirs.

Basically the thinking was that it was much better to get the home loan paid off as fast as I possibly could (cause the interest on a home loan over it's life is amazingly large). Every cent went to the home loan, and I got what furniture I absolutely needed secondhand from family and friends. Once the loan was paid off, then I was able to go out and buy the furniture I loved regardless of the price.

A lot of people throw out furniture which really doesn't have anything wrong with it, so it can be a very good way to save money.

(Having said all that I'm very frugal, not many people will go to these extremes)

Comment

Quoth BlackCat View Post
        A lot of people throw out furniture which really doesn't have anything wrong with it, so it can be a very good way to save money.
        Our local rubbish dump/recycling centre actually has a small shop where furniture and other items that have nothing wrong with them (other than being no longer wanted) are sold. There was a gorgeous display cabinet there that I would have snapped up on the spot if I'd had room to fit it in.

I've never understood why anyone would bin perfectly good furniture just because they got bored with it; if you don't want it and the fire labels are still intact, phone around the local charities and chances are one will pick it up free of charge to be sold on.

Heck, I used to live in a university town, and the charity shop within walking distance of the dorms used to have piles of generic crockery and cutlery that were sold 10p a plate/bowl and 5p per knife/fork/spoon. They'd zoom out the door, and rather than lug them back home the students would just donate them again when they finished each year. Apparently one particularly distinctive plate went in and out steadily for 6 years straight before someone either broke it or decided to keep it!
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I would probably be grumpy if I knew where they bought the house, and it was an upscale luxury home. You know, those House Hunter type people who want the stainless steal appliances, but can't pay for it, that sort of thing. But if they scrounged up enough to buy a legit starter house, I wouldn't be critical that they didn't have stuff to fill it. For example, a house comes up for sale that they can *just* afford and they take a chance on it. In some places homes can be cheaper than renting, and in the long run it's better. Or another thing, was the old carpet ruined, or did they just not like the color? One will make me critical, the other won't.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth BlackCat View Post
            They sound a lot like me when I bought my first home, I had almost no furniture to fill it with as I was coming from living with my parents and most of the furniture I used there was theirs.
            I didn't have much in the way of furniture either. Other than my bed, desk, and chair...plus some items that my grandmother had given me--the house was pretty bare. Nothing that a few trips out to IKEA wouldn't solve But when I first moved in, I had no choice but to pile things everywhere.

I didn't bother trying to replace the nasty carpeting in the living room, or the beat-up linoleum in the kitchen. While I'd like to replace or remove the floorings, that's not going to happen right now. Too expensive, and I really don't want to deal with what might be hiding under the carpet. Hardwood floors look nice, but they tend to get a bit cold in winter.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I don't know where they bought the house, but I'm going to assume it's a starter home. Will send them a message and see if they need anything.

Thanks, all. I've never bought a house, and I've "inherited" more furniture than I have any use for. Alas, I'll be moving into a small apartment and will have no room for Mom's nice teak furniture.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

If someone can use it, sure, why not? Just think of it as rehoming the furniture!

We had friends who would get bored with their living room furniture every few years. They would always say it didn't look good anymore, or the dog had messed it up, but I could never see a thing wrong with it. Just every 2 to 4 years, they would go out and buy a new sofa (or two small ones!) and chairs. It was their money, they could do whatever they wanted, it just looked odd to me. In my family, we never replaced anything until it was falling apart.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Years ago I heard of people who would buy the largest, most expensive house they could afford, even though they were unable to properly furnish it at the time. We called them "house poor."

Their philosophy was to buy the most house they could and furnish it when they could.

There is a certain logic to that approach. Many times when someone can afford to buy a house today with their finances, the house will appreciate faster than their finances, which means they would not be able to buy the same house next year. So they get it while they can.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

yes why not if it makes happy on both sides.

Comment

Working...
                    X