This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to brag

I've been sweltering in my room the past few days. I have a fan, but it runs on only one speed - struggle. It makes weird noises, and circulates the air very little. The windows can't be opened wide, because Kitty might get out.

Finally, I ordered a fan online. That's one of many things here that you can order online and have delivered to your home. I chose a metal fan, for durability.

Well, it arrived today, and it is HEAVY. I got it into my room, unpacked it, and then the fun began. The fun of putting together an electrical appliance with insufficient directions. I undid bolts and screws and nuts. I made use of the WD-40. Nuts and washers lay on the floor beside me; three different screwdrivers and the pliers were used. I had to attach the column to the base, then undo the column, put the spring in it, and reattach it to the base. I put the important parts together - blades, screen, motor. I attached this heavy part to the column.

Then, I let 'er rip. I plugged it in, turned it up to full speed, and it is now providing the room with more air circulation than the other fan ever achieved, with a delightful roar that may help me not to hear the owners' dogs barking early in the morning.

I wonder if Argabarga's workplace would hire me as a mechanic?

It's a certainty that you'd make a better one than that last idiot his workplace hired. Even with no experience at all, you'd still be a better mechanic than he was.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

True. At least you know how to read and follow directions.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Well. I was sitting here, enjoying the dull roar of the fan, when something odd happened:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

Uh-oh. That's what the old fan does. Why is the new fan doing this?

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrclank....

Well, fuck. The fan blades fell off the spindle. The old fan did the same thing, but the old fan is a cheapo model, and this new fan cost more than twice as much. I am in no mood to keep putting the fan blades back on, especially when it involves undoing a very small screw and nut.

Hammer time!

I unplugged the fan, undid the screen, and tapped the blade arrangement back on the spindle with my hammer. I think it's on now. I put everything back together, plugged it back in, turned it on - success!

Comment

Very impressive Me and heat don't mix so I have a nice big fan. The last one,the screws fell out the front so you couldn't put the guard on properly. Ended up with it just being the blades going round on it. Had one or two close shaves going past it on the way to bed at night...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            Well, fuck. The fan blades fell off the spindle. The old fan did the same thing, but the old fan is a cheapo model, and this new fan cost more than twice as much. I am in no mood to keep putting the fan blades back on, especially when it involves undoing a very small screw and nut.
            Without seeing your fan, I can only guess what happened. It sounds like the blade assembly has a setscrew that fastens it to the shaft. Most likely the shaft has a flat spot - might be a "full length" flat, or might be just a narrow spot. The setscrew has to bear against this flat.

If it's a "full length" flat, it only helps keep the blades from turning relative to the shaft. If it's a narrow one, it's also a "hill" that keeps the blade assembly from pulling off. If you have the setscrew bearing against the round (not the flat), the slightest looseness (e.g. from vibration) will leave the fan as if the setscrew isn't fastened at all. If it's against the flat, the fan vibrates, and the fit of the setscrew in its hole is sloppy, it'll back out eventually, with results as above.

My advice? Make sure the setscrew and the flat line up both rotationally and (if it's a narrow one) in/out as well, and put a bit of Loctite on the screw to keep it from backing out. Blue stuff please - the red is the extra-heavy-duty.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
            X