This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KILLKILLKILL

Am I the only one who wants to stab something when a pop-up "sign in" or subscription offer comes up on a website, blocking the content, AND YOU CAN'T CLOSE IT??????

These are not ads, nor sites that normally don't let you read without signing up first. Sometimes it's a sign that I'm already signed in on, but they just have to keep throwing special offers at me.

Not really looking for advice - just venting.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

I get this a lot with my tablet. There usually IS an X, but when I try to zoom to make it bigger and easier to hit the fucking ad MOVES!!
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Mmm. This is one major reason why I use AdBlock Pro without a guilty conscience. The other is that, in all the time I've been using the Internet (which is, by now, almost 20 years), I've bought... pretty much nothing, based solely on a website advertisement.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Am I the only one who wants to stab something when a pop-up "sign in" or subscription offer comes up on a website, blocking the content, AND YOU CAN'T CLOSE IT??????

These are not ads, nor sites that normally don't let you read without signing up first. Sometimes it's a sign that I'm already signed in on, but they just have to keep throwing special offers at me.

Not really looking for advice - just venting.
        Adblock is your friend.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

NoScript can help with this sort of thing, too, tho you have to tweak it when it's first installed, and the first time you go to any given site, so it doesn't just prevent the sites you go to from working in the first place.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            Mmm. This is one major reason why I use AdBlock Pro without a guilty conscience. The other is that, in all the time I've been using the Internet (which is, by now, almost 20 years), I've bought... pretty much nothing, based solely on a website advertisement.
            You might also try 'Remove the Overlay' if you use Google Chrome, its designed to deal with ads like that.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I run into that every now and again. I stop the page from loading and hit the reload page, then stop it again very quickly. The page usually will load but the ad won't.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
              I use AdBlock Lite, which may be why I still have some problems with overlay ads, but not too much.

I have never, ever bought anything based on an internet ad.

These ads make me so angry that if I'm stuck sitting through one (usually to watch embedded video) I turn off the sound and open a new tab until the ad is gone. I won't watch them, especially on sites where I pay to be a member (news sites, primarily, don't get that by paying we should not have to look at ads).
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Nor I, SS. Almost nobody does...ever. Whereas real-world ads -- even direct mail that has been targeted via a mailing list to people known to like using a specific product would be considered be lucky to get so much as 3% of the recipients so much as calling about an inquiry, it's my understanding that the clickthrough rate on internet ads -- not "click and buy," but simply "click at all" -- is well under 1% >_<

At times, I wonder why they even bother...then I remember the spam principle --- These things are generally dirt cheap to run (could be a penny or less per actual clickthrough, and much less per non-click "impression"/viewing), so they put them out by tens of thousands or millions at a time. Spammers, for instance, can be theoretically profitable if one person in a million actually buys something from an email. If it didn't make money...*shrug*
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't use Adblock myself...mainly because I watch certain Youtubers who depend on the ad revenue for income. (Only if the video is not longer than 1 minute though. :P Then I skip) If I could adblock more stuff without touching Youtube, that would be absolutely perfect.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Adblock offers whitelisting, so you could tell it to not bother ads on Youtube while still saving your time and bandwidth (plus protecting you from malware in ads) elsewhere.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I remember working on interstitial ads. They were just as much a pain to put in as to see. Not only that, I'd get emails from the Sales department wondering why their ads look wonky on the site.

Fancybox was my friend. It used jQuery to create the overlay and put in a handy-dandy close button. I also use AdBlock pro because the ads were interfering with the now-defunct CityVille game.
                      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I had Adblock, but it slowed my laptop down to a glacial pace, which was more irritating than the ads were, so I uninstalled it. When I replace the laptop I may try Adblock again. Meanwhile I'm playing with my new Kindle Fire instead

Comment

Slow?

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I had Adblock, but it slowed my laptop down to a glacial pace, which was more irritating than the ads were, so I uninstalled it. When I replace the laptop I may try Adblock again. Meanwhile I'm playing with my new Kindle Fire instead
                          When I used ADBlock it did not seem to slow down my machine, nor have the other people I talk to said they saw a slow-down.

I think you should double check your laptop to see if there is a conflict with another piece of software. In my case about once a year I go through my computers and delete any software I don't remember the purpose for or did not use in the last year.

Sometimes a clean re-install is the only way to get your machine working properly.

Comment

Meh, it's probably just that it's old. There isn't a lot of stuff on it since I had the hard drive replaced.

Comment

I've had all of the problems that everyone else on here have mentioned. Never heard of adblock until I read this thread, but I'm definitely going to look into it.

My pet peeve is watching an embedded video, and then suddenly getting competing audio. So, I scroll up and down the page until I find the ad that's trying to 'talk over' my preferred content, and kill it. Sometimes I'll read a news story, and then at the bottom there are more news stories. Gee, I want to read more than one of them, so I'll open another tab with a good story, leaving the previous page intact, so I can go back and read more stories. And, wouldn't you know it, there's a list of even more interesting stories at the bottom of that new page. Soon, I'll have about 10 open web pages. Then, all of a sudden -- phantom audio! So, I have to go through page after page before I can find the offender.

Another annoying thing, is those 'news' (don't know what to call them) items that read something like: "15 things you didn't know about [blah, blah]." I'll click on it, and then it's 15 separate pages, each highlighted by a photo and text. Sometimes, it takes forever for the new item to come up -- unless the page freezes up, and I click out of the whole web page, out of annoyance. This happens roughly 30% of the time, at least to me.
                              Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Working...
                              X