Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ear infection? Umm... no, try Bell's Palsy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear infection? Umm... no, try Bell's Palsy!

Been suffering for a couple of weeks with what I thought - from the pain and discomfort and some leakage of wax - was an ear infection. It certainly felt like the ones I used to have from when I was a kid up to about 5 years ago.

Went to the doctor after about a week and got told there was no signs of any infection, try steaming sinuses, OTC meds as necessary etc and it should ease off.

Luckily I cancelled my plans for the bank holiday weekend. Because not only did I have my report from my ATOS benefit assessment come back full of fail (5000 word document going off to them pointing out what they got wrong and what they ignored and misconstrued)... but I started to notice other odd symptoms.

I was catching my lips when I ate on my teeth. And I had a watery left eye that didn't seem to want to focus and was pulling right. I assumed it was just pressure from the ear issue. But I did get my friend who came over and was being a wonderful giver of TLC to check if there was any "outward" symptoms of stroke etc and there wasn't as of Saturday morning or throughout the weekend.

It got slightly worse (aware of lips on left side being oddly close to teeth when speaking etc and a very occasional mouth twitch) over the weekend and I'd already decided I'd be going to the doctor again today if not gone.

He checked my ears and found no issues but I'd already noted that the left side of the face felt "taut" today for the first time in all this. He got me to smile, grin, frown etc and said he could easily see differences in the facial movements and said it was Bell's Palsy which shocked me because I'd only heard of it after a stroke and with the drooped face etc up until now.

So.. Prednisolone, eye drops and just wait and see (although report any worsening of the symptoms or that I'm concerned about to the doctor) is the current plan of action.

I feel lucky so far as it only really shows up outwardly if I grin and show my teeth. My smile is slightly lopsided (but not obvious) and the eye on that side does close on demand so .... its minor. I'm hoping it stays that way and goes away relatively quickly!
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

I had this a couple of years ago. They thought stress brought it on. I did get better. Took about a month or so to get everything back. Straws are you friend for drinking.

Good luck and I hope you get better soon
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Until the end of your post I was thinking it was a permanent thing and I was in despair for you! I'm so glad it's temporary. Good thoughts for your recovery. I'm sorry you have to deal with it, though.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Thanks. I have stress in bucket loads thanks to other health issues... but I thought I was doing ok with it lol. I also have CFS and Fibro so plenty of possibilities for the cause!

I tried to contact the hospital I'm due to be assessed for wisdom tooth removal at next week and ask them if this will cause them to refuse to operate or not but unfortunately they couldn't tell me until I go to the assessment so I just have to go and see. (It will have to be done under General due to the location/severity. And now I have advice on how my other conditions affect the GA and my CFS Consultant is on call for the team if they need extra advice then I'm more happy to go through with it than I was last year with everything up in the air.)

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        Until the end of your post I was thinking it was a permanent thing and I was in despair for you! I'm so glad it's temporary. Good thoughts for your recovery. I'm sorry you have to deal with it, though.
        Its usually temporary. I'm sorry for scaring you though!

Thank you for your thoughts. x
        Last edited by EricKei; 09-02-2015, 01:37 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
        X