Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So if my house catcehs fire - I can sue you, right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if my house catcehs fire - I can sue you, right?

This morning I noticed that electricity was arcing from the wires to a tree directly in front of my house. This isn't good and what we (in the electronics industry) like to call a "fire hazard".

I called FPL to report it as per their instructions and I was told "someone will come out and look at it within 21 days".

Um, what? 21 days?

I kept my cool and just said "So, if it catches fire and burns down my house I can have my lawyer call you about is?" Of course, the rep said "Well, if it's been happening a while then chances are it won't catch on fire".

Odd, I didn't say it has been doing on for a while, in fact it was very noticeable this morning and I haven't noticed it before. We haven't had much rain so all the plants are very dry.

Of course, we can't have someone cut it back (for obvious reasons) so now we have to sit and wait for "up to 21 days" to have someone even look at it.
    Last edited by draggar; 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

The hell? Why won't they come out that day...like in the next few hours? Do they really want to put themselves up for lawsuits and more work because of not taking care of it now?

I'd say call back and try for someone else. This is when being a bit sucky is called for.

Comment

I second the call back and try again. If they still don't do anything I would call your local police station (the station number) and ask the person who answers the phone what they think you should do.

Comment

1. Call back and try to get a non-idiot. If this fails,

2. Call your local police non-emergency number and ask for advice. If this does not get action,

3. Call your local news "consumer watch" or "community action" people. This will get results, guaranteed.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          I called FPL to report it as per their instructions and I was told "someone will come out and look at it within 21 days".
          What . . . the . . . h**l!!!???

. . . the rep said "Well, if it's been happening a while then chances are it won't catch on fire".
          Draggar, I'm a volunteer firefighter, and I'm here to tell you that you have a SERIOUS fire hazard on your hands!

From your description, it sounds like the wires are not actually touching the tree, and if so, I think the high voltage wires are arcing. This CSR probably does not realize the seriousness of the situation, and has put you into the normal service complaint queue.

I agree with Aethian, it's time to be a bit of a SC now. Call back, now! If you get another complacent idiot, demand a supervisor. If this fails, call 911 and report the situation to your local fire department. If the fire department is on scene, they have the authority to tell FPL to get their asses over to your house, NOW!

I think the CSR's supervisor would not be pleased at all, because in addition to causing a fire hazard near your home, the fluctuating voltage is causing damage to city owned equipment, like transformers.

Comment

Yes, I know it is a serious fire hazard.

But - one of the sales support reps I work with closely is meeting with FPL today, more specifically, the people in charce of the repair crews so he said he would bring it up to them. I'll call him back later on to see if they said anything.
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I have to admit this is a little funny.

Apparently they were out sometime between Friday afternoon and this morning (never let us know) and left a note on our door with this one it:

"No trimming is needed since the leaves are bruned away".

Um, what?? They do realize that they do grow, right? (I will admit - I haven't seen it arcing since I reported the issue).
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Wow. That's some amazing stupid right there. This is one of those times where you crawl up their noses and stay there until they do something.

What are they smoking in those offices to think that "no trimming is needed"?!
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'm going to scan their response and post it tonight. If I see any arcing I will take a video of it and post it on YouTube.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Here's their response:

Yes, that does say "No current hazard (nice pun), palm fronds are burned away from wires".
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

These people are cracked.
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

And the scary part is this company operates 5 nuclear power plants.

"Homer Simpson, Line 1!"

B
                        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                          And the scary part is this company operates 5 nuclear power plants.
                          Oh meltdown, it's one of those annoying buzzwords. We prefer to call it an unrequested fission surplus.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Close up of the comments:

I wonder if I should let the local news know or should I let the consumerist know?
                            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

You should let the higher ups at the company know...then go to the press. Go higher up the chain of command.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X