Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Other duties as assigned" this ain't...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Other duties as assigned" this ain't...

On Saturday, the freight elevator broke in the morning. Apparently our pallet (mostly bottled water) was sitting down on the dock all day and V never thought to even ask about it until after all the warehouse guys had left in the afternoon. So she enlists three of us to hump everything from the dock up three flights of stairs in below-freezing temps (yes the dock is enclosed but that doesn't really mean anything, it's still COLD)...of course "as fast as possible". Not being warehouse, none of us have fleeces.

Once I realize--after nearly tripping--that I can't carry more than one case up the stairs safely, I start stacking them on the halfway-point landing; priority is to get everything off the dock. Apparently this isn't to V's liking (and she doesn't care that my ankle hurts, we need to get this done...it IS getting done!). Nor am I allowed to go to the warehouse and prepare a platform truck for the water; everything has to be brought up first (but we can just stack it on the truck rather than stacking on the floor and then moving to the truck...no V has to be the one to get the truck).

F is inexplicably carrying TWO cases of glass water bottles by himself...as he sets them down outside the warehouse, the top case falls over and one bottle shatters. If that had happened on the way up the stairs it would have been bad.

It seems to me that this is pushing the definition of "duties" a bit far...
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

"Hurry, hurry, hurry! I don't care that there is a better way or that I'm about to cause workers comp claims! And you better not tell anyone that I caused you to get hurt!"

Comment

If the warehouse manager had seen this there would have been hell to pay.

The retail GM was helping out as well, so like it or not he witnessed and condoned this. Nowhere in the Grocery job description does it say anything about us actually unloading deliveries on the dock...IIRC only warehouse personnel are supposed to be down there for liability reasons. Same as while I know how to operate a pallet jack we're not allowed to touch them (not even the manual ones).

I'm very curious why V waited until nearly 3PM to inquire about the delivery even though she knows it comes in the morning...
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-11-2018, 02:32 AM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        If the warehouse manager had seen this there would have been hell to pay.
        You might want to talk to the warehouse manager about this. He might tear into convince V not to do that again.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        So she enlists three of us to hump everything...

It seems to me that this is pushing the definition of "duties" a bit far...
        It's too bad it wasn't the fun kind of humping.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Your workplace is so toxic.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
          X