Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knows a little about general electronics and such?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows a little about general electronics and such?

I just got a digital converter box for my analog TV and when it's connected the picture is clear. When I add the antenna to the set-up I can get all the channels so reception in general isn't a problem but the antenna is causing interference. Is there such thing as an RF modulator for an antenna? Or should I get a newer antenna? I did not have this problem with my old converter box.

Oh, haha--figured it out. Well, if this helps anyone, I was trying to figure out how I could run it through the DVD player to the TV because that can help. That didn't work but I decided to try the red, yellow, and white cable--whatever that's called--in the TV and the converter box and it's a perfect picture. I've never seen such good quality on my TV. The nice thing is that the box will record but I think I need to get some kind of memory stick or something. And it has an HDMI port but I'm not sure how to work that.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 12-21-2018, 08:43 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

An HDMI port is just another type of cable to connect to your TV, and it may be clearer than the three-cord one you have already connected... You would have to set the Source of your TV to the HDMI input instead of the other one.

(I think)
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Just letting you know, if you have an old tube TV, and you use it more than an hour or so a day, upgrading to a digital TV the same size would save you so much electricity it'd pay for itself within a year or two. It's seriously something to consider.

Comment

Red/Yel/White cables are commonly referred to as "AV Cables" -- I wanna way thair resolution caps out at 480i (i.e. old-school classic TV resolution). If you end up with a newer, digital set as TheSHAD0W suggested, hook it up through HMDI if at all possible. By definition, you'll either get no signal at all or a pristine one, due to its digital nature, and at a resolution of 1080p (Blu-Ray) or better, depending on the HDMI standard used.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          If you end up with a newer, digital set as TheSHAD0W suggested, hook it up through HMDI if at all possible.
          If he gets a new TV he won't need the converter box at all. Yeah, the DVD player should be hooked up with an HDMI cable.

And if you think the picture looks clear and sharp now, well...

Comment

Good point

And yeah, I remember when my household migrated from a "classic" CRT to a Trinitron flatscreen (not a flat SET, just a flat SCREEN) and from VHS to DVD cuz we figured, hey, the old set died, we could use some speakers, fuckit, let's see what's out there. So we go to the electronics store and they had Saving Private Ryan showing on their DVD/huge flatscreen/"This costs HOW much?!?" rig. We were...a bit more fiscally conservative than that, and we never looked back.
            Last edited by EricKei; 12-25-2018, 01:37 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X