Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People really like outdoor weddings, but it rains so much that summer is the only feasible time. So, at least here, from May to August it really hits us at the fabric store. It's like everyone's watched Bridezilla, and thinks that just stating that it's for a wedding will scare me into producing the item... As if I was being lazy, or hiding it until I hear the magic words that will spur me into action.

I've never envisioned getting married, but if I did, I know I would want to elope. Someplace warm. Maybe have a party when we got back, but not anything formal or elaborate.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      It's like everyone's watched Bridezilla, and thinks that just stating that it's for a wedding will scare me into producing the item...
      A friend and I used to call it the MicPioma catalog: Maybe I can pull it outta my ass.

Comment

I didn't run into a store and yell "I need tablecloths for a wedding! Stop what you're doing and heeeeeeeelp meeeeeee!"
        Well, then, ur doin' it wrong

Seriously, though... I never imagined my someday-wedding when I was a little girl. I never just assumed I would get married, it was always an "if" in my mind, but I was too busy doing other things to put any thought into planning a huge overblown Special Princess party.

I do want to know what they needed burlap for at a wedding, though...
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Surprisingly, I have an anecdote for this one. At the stadium where I work, we had this one bride who wanted all the red in the least expensive venue covered up because one of her wedding colors was pink. Red is the main color of the home team, which even has their own trademarked type of red.

Can you figure out the problem here?
          Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Quoth Andrew B. View Post
            Surprisingly, I have an anecdote for this one. At the stadium where I work, we had this one bride who wanted all the red in the least expensive venue covered up because one of her wedding colors was pink. Red is the main color of the home team, which even has their own trademarked type of red.

Can you figure out the problem here?
            Yeah, it's called Special Princess Syndrome.

Comment

Oh, I wish I could say stuff like that out loud at work. I'm sure my supervisor and boss would find it funny, but I'd still be terrified.
              Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                Yeah, it's called Special Princess Syndrome.
                I thought SPS stood for something else.

Small Penis Syndrome.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  I thought SPS stood for something else.

Small Penis Syndrome.
                  I think that's dependent on gender.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I do want to know what they needed burlap for at a wedding, though...
                    I've wondered that myself, more than once.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 09-07-2014, 04:07 AM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I forgot the flowers and tablecloths for my wedding. Well more like someone took the flowers out of the fridge 3 days before the wedding and they all died because they pushed my order out for another pricier arrangement. The day of I took my vases and went to another shop and got single exotic flowers and placed one or 2 in each vase. I sent them to the reception place with my bridesmaid. It was supposed to be an outdoor reception but the tent blew away so we took over the second dining room in the restaurant. The owner refused to use his standard black and red table cloths for my reception and ran home and to his mother and sisters and borrowed white lace and silk table cloths for the reception. We had lighted white and lavender balloons picked up that day because my lights blew away with the tent. I only cried twice, once when my maid of honor forgot me at the beauty salon and once when I realized I lost the marriage license. At no point was I a SC and the wedding was amazing. To this day I have dinner weekly at my reception place and we tip extra well. Amazingly the bill for the reception was $600 with apps. We had a cash bar other than the champaign which we ordered. We tipped 40 percent because they saved my whole day and left the staff with cake and champaign and stayed to help clean after the reception. They are like family now 2 years later. We even went to see the hostess when she was in the hospital last.

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
                        I forgot the flowers and tablecloths for my wedding. Well more like someone took the flowers out of the fridge 3 days before the wedding and they all died because they pushed my order out for another pricier arrangement.
                        I assume the fridge was at the florist's where you ordered the flowers. If that's the case, they damn well better not charge you for the flowers - after all, THEY destroyed them.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I had a pretty big and very nice wedding... Around 4 grand. My dress was around 600 at a discount bridal place... My dream dress. Bridesmaids dresses were about 100... They wore their own shoes. Mother-in-law made the (beautiful) centerpieces. I made the jewelry for myself and the bridesmaids and my mother-in-law made my veil. Biggest expense was good and booze... Catered so the wedding party and families could be worry free. It was our dream wedding... I do not appreciate the tone of some of the comments. We demanded nothing and were blessed with wonderful family and friends.

-Silver
                          "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
                            I had a pretty big and very nice wedding... Around 4 grand. My dress was around 600 at a discount bridal place... My dream dress. Bridesmaids dresses were about 100... They wore their own shoes. Mother-in-law made the (beautiful) centerpieces. I made the jewelry for myself and the bridesmaids and my mother-in-law made my veil. Biggest expense was good and booze... Catered so the wedding party and families could be worry free. It was our dream wedding... I do not appreciate the tone of some of the comments. We demanded nothing and were blessed with wonderful family and friends.

-Silver
                            Actually that sounds like a Wonderful wedding.

What people tend to get up at arms about are the Bridezillas who plan weddings that cost more than Tesla Cars, and demand everything down to the weather be Absolutely Perfect and god help anyone that notices anything amiss.

Or there are the flip side Bridezillas who want perfection, but don't have the planning skills (or the intelligence to hire a good planner) so they want Absolute Perfection done spur of the moment (like many cases in the OP).

In my opinion (as someone who has never had a wedding and probably never will), a good wedding is one where everyone has fun celebrating the couple joining together. And if things don't happen exactly as planned, it'll be a great set of stories to tell and laugh about in the future (as the post above has done. )

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                              lol and that's why we eloped to vegas
                              If ours wasn't my first we would have done that.
                              Quoth XCashier View Post
                              We married in November
                              So did we...mostly to score better deals on the venue--the ceremony was in a hotel atrium and the reception was in a banquet room down the hall, yes under the same roof.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
                                I do not appreciate the tone of some of the comments.
                                I apologize if I offended you. What I meant is pretty much what Jetfire said. If you can afford to spend more money on your wedding, go for it and have fun. I wish I'd known about wedding planners (I honestly didn't even know there was such a profession!), we probably could've added a few more nice touches to our own.

The important thing is, don't dig yourself into a financial hole, don't expect absolute perfection, and keep your cool when (not if) things go off-kilter. And have fun.
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X