Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearance sale at the dollar store, shoot me now!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance sale at the dollar store, shoot me now!

Time for some more wonderful tales from the dollar store. We currently have a mega clearance sale going on. 50% off all our clearance merchandise. Also a lot of our seasonal and apparel stuff we're trying to get rid of is an additional 50% off of the already discounted price. Some really good deals! Well with the good deals comes the FUN

1)Lady comes up to the register with a cart full of stuff. Proceeds to put the items up on the counter ONE AT A TIME and has the cashier scan it to make sure it's 50% off or 'I DON'T WANT IT!!!11!!!'. And of course when the cashier scans it, she has to look at the price too to make sure we aren't trying to rip her off!

To add to the fun, she had two separate orders and paid for each order with a check. And then she argued with the cashier because when the cashier needed to type in her phone number she barked 'It's already on the check!' But unfortunately the check is upside down in the check reader and we can't just take it out to look at it.

2)Young girl maybe 10-11 years old comes up with a cartful and when the cashier is finished ringing everything up, the total is like $100. Problem is girl only has $70 so she takes stuff out of the cart ONE AT A TIME to have us void off until it gets under $70 which took 5 minutes while the customers behind were getting pissed that I wasn't opening up another register and I'm trying to explain that only a manager can void stuff off so I can't open up until I finish.

Normally I would shrug it off as we've all done that before with buying too much and not having enough money but this girl does this ALL THE TIME. Just the other day she was at the register with like $50 of stuff and then says 'Oh, all I have is $20' and we have to spend the next 5 minutes voiding stuff off. And last week she had a basketful of cosmetics which was like $30 and she only had $10 on her.

3)Clearance sales also bring out the mathmatically challenged people. Some of the clearance items were ringing up more then 50% off which meant I missed it when I had to re-price everything. You'd think customers would be happy because they were getting more of a discount. NOPE! One lady had an item with a sticker that said $3.50 so it should ring up $1.75. Well it rang up $1.60 which she then stopped the cashier 'THAT'S NOT 50% OFF, TAKE IT BACK!' and the cashier is trying to explain that it actually rang up MORE then 50% off so she's getting an even bigger deal! Lady then huffs 'UGH, THAT'S MISLEADING!'

What?!?!

4)We lost a $5 sale today because we told the lady she couldn't return the item if she didn't like it. 'WELL WHY NOT?' Uhm lady, it's clearance merchandise, it's stuff we're not carrying anymore. Most retailers don't take back clearance merchandise for that same reason.

On the young girl - Maybe management will let you guys ask her how much she has on her before you start ringing her up...?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Pretty sure we have the same job so I know your pain to the fullest extent.

"Sir, is this half off, too?"
      "Yes, everything in that box is half off."
      "What about this thing?!?"

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post

1)Lady comes up to the register with a cart full of stuff. Proceeds to put the items up on the counter ONE AT A TIME and has the cashier scan it to make sure it's 50% off or 'I DON'T WANT IT!!!11!!!'. And of course when the cashier scans it, she has to look at the price too to make sure we aren't trying to rip her off!

To add to the fun, she had two separate orders and paid for each order with a check.
        I can't stand that. I know at our store things can be put in the wrong place, or whatever, but I can often see that everything they want is on sale. But they make me scan each anyway. Even when I say, "see on the tag where it says Snuggle Flannel? If it says that it's $2.99 a yard." I still get "what about this one?"

Previously we had large groups come in and have crazy complicated orders... Like 20 different fabrics, then add remnants (which are entered as a separate item) and then sometimes they wanted more of something they already had cut. So around 30 items. Then they wanted me (or the cashier) to split the purchase. When a manager saw what was going on, she said next time you sort this out before you have it cut, this is the only time we will do it. And she only let it happen that one time because the cashier had already started. And of course they tried to again... They were told no at the register and did the "well then we just won't buy anything!" tantrum. Guess what? They walked out with nothing.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

See and the thing is, to prepare for the sale, I personally went through ALL the clearance merchandise and scanned them to make sure they were part of the sale. Anything that scanned 'not part of the event' is currently sitting in the back room away from customers.

Of course it's possible that I missed some things, so as a back up plan we have a VERY liberal policy with this sale where pretty much if it's got a clearance sticker on it, we'll make it 50% off anyways to get it out of my store.

So customers will still get the deal no matter what! But of course there will be those that always think everyone is out to rip them off and just want to pick a fight anyways ugh

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            On the young girl - Maybe management will let you guys ask her how much she has on her before you start ringing her up...?
            That was going to be my suggestion, as years ago we had one like that. I'd finally ask before ringing that person up how much do you have to spend this visit.

I don't see it as being rude . . . I see it as trying to save time and aggravation (for both cashier and customers.)
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm no math whiz, but I can usually eyeball what's in my cart and know if I have enough to cover the cost. If most things are 50%, I'd add up what's in my cart and divide by two. Duh.

Years ago, I used to take a calculator grocery shopping and add things up as I went. I'd also be careful what I put in the cart whenever I knew I didn't have a lot of money to spend. It's not that hard to plan ahead.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Our sales are super fun, management will have the stuff thrown into a cart at the front of the store, they put a paper sign on it that says "50% off lowest marked price" or 50 cents or whatever, but the thing is that we have to manually make these changes at the register most of the time. Also, no one is very good about telling us cashiers when this stuff is on sale, so we get the customers with some sale items and then as I start ringing them, the customer wails "But that was supposed to be X dollars/percent off!" So I always have to ask "Was this in a cart up front with a sign on it?" Yes. Alright then, I just have to void it off and make the change myself.....

Of course management words these signs as such: "Discount taken at register" instead of adding something like "Please inform your cashier so they can adjust the price"
                Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I don't get why the girl had so much trouble with this o_O

We go into Pound Shops all the time (UK equivalent of a Dollar store, everything's £1 or 2 - for - £1 etc.)

So, if i have £10 on me...i can get 10 items.

Can she not count?

Comment

I would ask the little girl how much money she had, and tell her to give me her items in order of decreasing importance, then stop once we hit what she could afford.
                    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I am pretty sure we work under the same store name because this sale is what killed me. Crazy sales bring crazy customers. Glad you survived.
                      No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

"Dollar Admiral" or "The Clan of Dollar"?
                        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Dollar Admiral. Clearance sale ended today so I'm sure now people will be screaming because we didn't give any advance warning when the sale ended. We didn't even know about the sale ending until today!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            I'm no math whiz, but I can usually eyeball what's in my cart and know if I have enough to cover the cost. If most things are 50%, I'd add up what's in my cart and divide by two. Duh.

Years ago, I used to take a calculator grocery shopping and add things up as I went. I'd also be careful what I put in the cart whenever I knew I didn't have a lot of money to spend. It's not that hard to plan ahead.
                            For some, 'planning ahead' is an utterly alien concept. Really. I've had customers who blow $80 worth of food stamps on potato chips, candy, soda pop, and other crap food at the beginning of the month, and then piss and moan at the end of the month when they can't afford even a can of generic spaghettios.

Comment

Working...
                            X