This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'll just sit on the floor!

I've been noticing a strange trend lately. People picking up merchandise, then sitting on the floor to look at it. Before a couple months ago I don't think I'd ever seen an adult do this. I mean, on Black Friday I've seen people sit on the floor while waiting, but this is different. They will also spread their choices out around them, effectively blocking the entire aisle. Our store is cramped to begin with, (I think we'd be in actual legal trouble because it's not 100% accessible to disabled people) but in this case it has been regular decent sized aisles completely blocked. I mean, they have a bunch of stuff. One lady had a couple large paper mache letters, paint, paint brushes, glitter, etc. Just arranged on the floor while she contemplated. I just don't get it! We're a large, fairly busy store. It's not like they went back into some disused corner, they just merrily sat wherever they felt like.

Bonus points to the ones who have fabric. The floor has dirt. The fabric is not in a package. The fabric gets dirty, and we have to do a damaged discount or even write it off entirely. Last night a lady pulled like 10 bolts and lined them up on the floor, and just sat their with her head tilted, hand on her chin. I found something else to do, because I was afraid I would sound snippy. Gah! Anyone else come across the floor sitting phenomenon?

PS, we have a large pattern table with chairs which people regularly use to lay out their stuff. Also, up in quilting there is a smaller space just for laying things out.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I've never seen that, but it's only a matter of time. And that is REALLY dumb. Since I don't work in a store, if I come across this while shopping I'm going to say exactly what I think of it to the idiot who's doing it.

Really, I think the manager should be tell people not to do that. I know, corporate would hear about it and hand out gift cards "for the customer's inconvenience" but well....worth a try.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've seen people sitting & reading inside a book store. But a retail store? Isn't that a...fire hazard? If it is, that's one way around corporate. Can't fault you for obeying the fire code and putting safety first.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        I've seen people sitting & reading inside a book store. But a retail store? Isn't that a...fire hazard? If it is, that's one way around corporate. Can't fault you for obeying the fire code and putting safety first.
        You don't know corporate very well, do you?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Not too unusual to see floor sitting in the book section, or kids playing in the toy aisle (cue rant about "parents" who can't be bothered to actually stay in line-of-sight of their small children). Did see a mom today sitting on the floor near the fitting rooms soothing a small child. She'd had the courtesy to not block traffic, so NBD to me. Kiddo obviously needed Mom's lap and they weren't interfering with anyone else.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The people mentioned in the OP -- they sound like a fire hazard to me. It is dangerous and stupid. How long before they start bringing up their now-dirty fabric and demanding a discount because of it? This needs to be nipped in the bud. Hopefully, your managers will agree (just tell them the truth -- it directly causes them to lose money)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know when I say something to a manager, I'll just get the "offer them a cart/basket" line. I've been helping other people all but that last time, so that's not really helpful advice. I wish I'd get an okay to just flat out (in nicer terms) tell them that it's not allowed. But I doubt I will. I'll pitch the fire hazard issue, though.

When people start loading bolts of fabric on top of shelves, we are supposed to offer a cart, or even get one first and not really give an option. People hate this. "Well, if there was ROOM for a cart I would use one!" or "If I wanted a cart, I would have gotten one!" Or they think it's our way of subtly telling them off for being messy (well, it kinda is). But when they pile fabric, it makes it hard for others to shop, and creates problems with pricing later on when they leave stuff from all over in a sale area.

Plus, like I said, there is a little area specifically for this, use it!

Comment

I've definitely noticed the "floor sitters" at the library particularly in the sections with the books on cooking or crafting. It doesn't happen often though, and really only annoys me when the customer is blocking the aisle, and I'm trying to shelve in that area. (sometimes people are conscientious of others trying to get around them, other times they are oblivious)

Comment

Tell the managers that it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The first time some other oblivious idiot trips over one of the floor-sitters, you're going to have TWO lawsuits: One from the tripper, and one from the trippee! Then corporate will want to know why your manager didn't stop this from happening.

There you go: Money and job security. Maybe the manager will tell these dum-dums to park their asses in a chair instead of on the floor.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can't squat down anymore. When I shopping for books for my nieces, I have to sometimes sit on the floor to look at some interesting books. I don't know what else to do.

Comment

I have to sit sometimes in a bookstore to view the bottom shelf. But I would never lay merchandise out on the floor like that, which seems to be the main problem.

Comment

"But I need to see things spread out like this so I can get the full effect," is probably the answer you'd get if you asked them why they're doing it. The problem is that they don't think beyond their "effect," and how it affects others who are shopping. If it wasn't likely to damage the merch, I'd step on whatever they were gazing at, just to wake 'em up a bit, since it's likely they won't respond to a "Excuse me," by moving all that crap that they piled up around them. Or they'll respond poorly..

So, you have insurance, liability and other shoppers being annoyed and all because some moony-eyed idiot is making calf-eyes at their potential purchases.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                          I can't squat down anymore. When I shopping for books for my nieces, I have to sometimes sit on the floor to look at some interesting books. I don't know what else to do.
                          Maybe you can ask employees for a chair, then. Or buy one of those canes or walkers with built-in seats.
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                            Maybe you can ask employees for a chair, then. Or buy one of those canes or walkers with built-in seats.
                            If the shelf is on the floor, and particularly if (as happens in some shops) the books are double-shelved, it is impossible to see all of the titles without sitting on the floor. A chair or the canes/walkers won't help in that regard.
                            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                              If the shelf is on the floor, and particularly if (as happens in some shops) the books are double-shelved, it is impossible to see all of the titles without sitting on the floor. A chair or the canes/walkers won't help in that regard.
                              I just wanted to note, this isn't really the type of thing I was trying to describe. These people are just camped out, with various merchandize spread around them like a fan. It's quite out of place. I could see it being okay at a bookstore, especially if there's still room for someone to shop in that aisle.

Comment

Working...
                              X