No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like I haven't mentioned "A Practical Guide To Evil" yet, so here goes: It's a web series which is currently working through book five, out of a projected six. The author ought to take editing more seriously (especially since his commentators are helping), but that's not so bad as to be distracting, and the story is really good.

Summary: In this world, Good and Evil are largely essentialist, backed by a wager among the gods. Certain people have Names which grant them various powers, making them Heroes and Villains.

Twenty years ago, the Good Realm of Callow was conquered by The Dread Empire of Praes and its Legions of Terror, led by the Black Knight. It was a very thorough conquest, destroying the royal line and most of the Good institutions. Today, Catherine Foundling gathers money in the fighting pits... she's saved nearly enough to enroll in the College of War, which will let her join the Legion and rise in its ranks. She has dreams of gaining power and reforming the Empire from within. Then, in a dark alley, she is rescued by the Black Knight himself. He offers her a shortcut -- a way to gain power and position within the Empire within just a few years, instead of a lifetime of struggle. Catherine will become the Squire...

The Black Knight turns out to have some interesting ideas about the practice of Evil: “The key to the Empire maintaining control over the lands it conquered isn’t fear, my dear, it’s apathy. As long as the common people can go about their business and live their lives mostly untroubled, what do they care who their taxes go to? The Governor is making people care about who rules them again, and that is a very dangerous thing.” (Obviously, that doesn't end well for the Governor.)

But gaining a Name is only the first of her transformations. Yes, she will gain great power to change things... many things. I can't say too much about the plot without spoilers, but I will say that in the current book (Book V), her machinations were literally enough to make a saint swear... when she surrendered! She does come out of that on top (big-time), but that was only the prologue to the current arc, still in progress.

Comment

• After finishing up Ernest Cline's Armada (not quite as good as Ready Player One IMO, but I still appreciated the pop culture and video game references), I've now returned to Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century series, with book 3, Ganymede.

For those unfamiliar, the Clockwork Century series is set in an alternate history of America, one where the Civil War didn't end in 1864, and some twenty years later, still rages on. The Republic of Texas is still going strong, as well. But to go alongside the steampunk-ish setting, there's also zombies ("rotters") which are caused by a gas known as the blight.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I started reading Three Moments of an Explosion by China Miéville. It is a book of short stories.
        I read "Un Lun Dun" (also by Mieville) a while back, did not care for it. It seemed like the author was trying way too hard to be clever and cute, and failing pretty miserably.

I just finished David Drake's "Tom Kelly" books. I don't recommend them either. They have to go back to the library as soon as I get a chance.
        Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 05-09-2019, 09:34 PM.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• I started reading Clan of the Cave Bear yesterday. I've heard it's good, but ... certain details are already making me uncomfortable.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Katherine Kurtz Saint Patricks' Gargoyle. An elderly Knight of Malta performs one last quest in time to be Home for Christmas. I'm loaning it to my Dad... It's been nearly 5 1/2 years since Mom got away and like Francis Templeton and Maeve, he misses her.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
              Katherine Kurtz Saint Patricks' Gargoyle. An elderly Knight of Malta performs one last quest in time to be Home for Christmas. *snip*
              That sounds interesting; I'll have to see if I can find it around here.

I discovered the first book (I think) in Linwood Barclay's Promise Falls series ... oops, I just Googled it, and it appers to be the second book in the series. It's titled Broken Promise and thank goodness I'd managed to untangle the characters and their storylines (sorta) while reading Far From True ...

The only drawback was that, having read Far from True before Broken Promise, I pretty much knew what was coming.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I gave up on reading Clan of the Cave Bear. After a section early in the book where a character was remembering being abused by her (now dead) mate, I went and looked at spoilers. They made me angry. So I threw the book in my donate box. (I was already disappointed by the patriarchal and hierarchical BS among the clan, but I was hoping Ayla would change that. Quite the opposite, according to spoilers.)

I'm going to start reading Hogfather next. I've enjoyed the other books I've read in the Discworld series, so.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                  I'm going to start reading Hogfather next. I've enjoyed the other books I've read in the Discworld series, so.
                  That is a good book. The movie version is one of my favorite movies.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Just finished Ben Winters' The Last Policeman. An okay mystery but the real deal is the setting- modern Earth six months before an asteroid hit that will destroy civilization as we know it.

For once there is nothing listed on my Goodreads! I am in that terrifying, hopeful place between books. I'll choose a new one by tonight.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      Just finished Ben Winters' The Last Policeman. An okay mystery but the real deal is the setting- modern Earth six months before an asteroid hit that will destroy civilization as we know it.

For once there is nothing listed on my Goodreads! I am in that terrifying, hopeful place between books. I'll choose a new one by tonight.
                      I found the first book of that trilogy on the "remaindered" desk at the local Big Box Bookstore and was so impressed with it that I special-ordered the remaining two books.

You're right, the mysteries themselves (each book has its own little mystery/mysteries and there is an over-arching one that goes through the entire series) are generally just okay, but it's the background that really catches the attention ... the impending global catastrophe and how different people are coping with it (or not).
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Stopped by my storage unit today (just before the skies opened!) and ...

I HAZ FOUND THE BOX WITH MY TERRY PRATCHETT NOVELS!!

~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          Stopped by my storage unit today (just before the skies opened!) and ...

Huzzah!

#GNUTerryPratchett
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• I have started reading The Electric Church by Jeff Somers. The first few chapters have more action in them than a Die Hard movie.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post

Congratulations! The first books I downloaded when I finally gave in and got my smartphone were PTerry's.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                                Huzzah!

#GNUTerryPratchett
                                Quoth greek_jester View Post
                                Congratulations! The first books I downloaded when I finally gave in and got my smartphone were PTerry's.
                                I'm zooming my way through them. I had two here for a while, but this box contains, if not the entire set, a large chunk of them.

I've reread Lords and Ladies and Reaper Man (Death is such a nice guy ) and am partway through Witches Abroad and have just started Guards! Guards!. Got a couple more waiting in the wings and then, of course, there are more in the box still in my storage unit.
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X