This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hero

My true hero is the ten year-old girl I saw on crutches the other day, practically flying across the floor in spite of her injury. Or as any good nurse calls it, "Her highest level of functioning."

As opposed to the able-bodied shoppers, sometimes college students, who grab an electric cart because it's "fun" to use them, especially on a busy day when people who actually need them are forced to sit and wait for one to become available.

I do realize there are people who may have a number of issues that may not be readily apparent to me and I'm not begrudging them. But there are definitely people who use them out of sheer laziness. And when I see a kid who would be within their rights to use the motorized carts choosing instead to be as mobile and as active as possible, I take my hat off to them.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Watch her as she goes....
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I remember that age, even if I didn't have that level of energy. Merely sitting about, just because a leg is busted? Nah, we's got places to GO, and things to SEE. Putting about on one of those silly carts takes too damn long, and fussing with hardware to get in/out of the thing is just not part of the program.

I've used those carts, but only out of necessity. Even hobbling about, clutching a regular cart, gets things done faster/easier.

Comment

When my mom could hardly walk and needing a new hip she never used the electric carts, mostly because she felt they were bulky and hard to maneuver. Even at her worst, the idea of those carts was like "I'm not in that bad of shape." (yes, she was)

The other side of it, the other day an older couple was going to their car, the wife was walking the husband was in the cart. The wife said she was going to bring the cart back and the husband told her not to bother, "just leave it." I had this horrible moment of intense hatred for him. I hope he gets his bad karma returned to him.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
          I remember that age, even if I didn't have that level of energy. Merely sitting about, just because a leg is busted? Nah, we's got places to GO, and things to SEE.
          Yeah, that's how I flunked healing my Achilles Tendon injury back in July. 5 months later and a bunch of physical therapy later, it's almost healed....

Comment

My mom could have used one of these but she didn't want to. If she came to the grocery store with us, she'd walk around for a little while, then go and get a cup of coffee and hang out in the store cafe until we were done shopping.

My middle sister is getting to the point now with her knees where I can see her needing one of those in a few years
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X