This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a screw

This is a screw. It is called that because you screw it in to join things together.
    This is a nail. It is called that because you nail it in to join things together.

A screw has threads. It twists in. You use a screwdriver, drill, or butter knife.
    A nail is smooth. It slides in. You use some sort of percussive force.

Surely management can come up with something better for the secret shoppers to ask than 'what is the difference between a nail and a screw?'

Please tell me it was a secret shopper.

Please.

I say, screw them !
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Zyanya View Post
      Surely management can come up with something better for the secret shoppers to ask than 'what is the difference between a nail and a screw?'
      Answer: "About 5 cents."
      I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth Zyanya View Post
        Depending on what part of town you're in, both words have the same meaning

Seriously though...not all nails are smooth. Most are, but I've seen a few odd ones that have threads. (The ones I'm thinking of currently hold trim around a corner at my parents' house.) You can actually see them turning when you use the hammer. They look like nails, but they don't have a slot for a screwdriver. They're meant for areas where a nail will work, but extra strength is needed.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

you would be surpised, i actually had to stop a guy from takeing a claw hammer to yank some screws out of dry wall.

this guy should be in the co workers suck section it is one of many stories.

him: walking in to a room with a claw hammer
          me: what are you doing with that hammer (always weary when he has tools on him)
          him: im gonna take down the dry erase board
          me: with a hammer
          him: yah
          me: you do realize that the white boards are screwed in right
          him: um yah why
          me: cause if you take them out with a hammer it will rip a big hole in the wall
          him: yah so
          me: you use a screw driver to take them you and twist them, not yank them
          him: *gives confused look
          me: here is a screw driver use that *takes hammer away from him and locks it in a fileing cabinet.
          "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
            you would be surpised, i actually had to stop a guy from takeing a claw hammer to yank some screws out of dry wall.
            Please tell me after you gave him the screw driver he then attempted to pry the screws out of the wall with it.
            Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

maybe they didn't mean quite so literal . . .

I had to be taught why you use a screw on some jobs and a nail on others. They may have been asking more along the lines of what is the difference as far as which jobs to use them on.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                I had to be taught why you use a screw on some jobs and a nail on others.
                Use nails when you feel like hitting something with a hammer. Use screws when the nails fall out because you shouldn't have used them to begin with.

...that's how it works for me, anyway.
                » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                  him: walking in to a room with a claw hammer
                  me: what are you doing with that hammer (always weary when he has tools on him)
                  him: im gonna take down the dry erase board
                  me: with a hammer
                  him: yah
                  me: you do realize that the white boards are screwed in right
                  But hammers are so much more fun. When we changed locations there was a bar (think counter top not ballet) that had to be removed. I could have used the drill with a screw driver bit but why should I do that when there was a 7 pound sledge hammer available.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

After a show is over, the cast and crew has to 'strike' (remove) the set. Normally, this has to be done very carefully so that as many materials as possible can be re-used for other things.

However, there was one show where the TD (technical director) just handed us sledgehammers. (All the lumber used on that show had been used so many times he didn't feel like it could be used anymore). That was a fun strike. *devil*

-I actually didn't get to take a sledgehammer to the set. After a platform landed on my head during a strike, I was relegated down to sweeping/screw sorting status.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I guess there is really no difference between getting screwed and getting nailed.
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Boy, you sure got nailed with a screwy customer there, eh?

/I'll show myself out
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

we had a customer ask us how to use a screwdriver.....they were serious...and I am still not sure that they got it

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                            But hammers are so much more fun. When we changed locations there was a bar (think counter top not ballet) that had to be removed. I could have used the drill with a screw driver bit but why should I do that when there was a 7 pound sledge hammer available.
                            Yeah, but that's a 7-pound sledge hammer. That's intentional overkill, not stupidity!
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                              That's intentional overkill, not stupidity!
                              Nah, overkill is using a 40-pound fence maul to kill bugs
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X