This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir, you've dialed the wrong number!

Arggghhhhhh!!!! Why do some people have such a hard time accepting this fact if they dial a wrong number???? I had the joy of dealing with this bull headed jackass while filling in on the switchboard today:

Me: *company name*.
    BHJ: Yeah, I have a question on *something we do not cover*.
    Me: Okay, are you sure you want *company name*?
    BHJ: I'm looking for *name of a different company*.
    Me: Okay, you've dialed the wrong number.
    BHJ: No, I didn't! This is the number I was given, and I dialed it & hit 0 for the operator!
    Me: What number are you trying to reach?
    BHJ: *rattles off number that is not even ours*.
    Me: Sir, this is the wrong number.
    BHJ: No, it isn't!
    Me: Sir, yes it is. This is *company name*.
    BHJ: Well, this is the number I received when I called information!
    Me: (strangling the urge to tell this guy in no certain terms what he can do to himself) Sir, this is the wrong number.
    BHJ: *mumbles, hangs up*

I apologize for any brain cells that may have been lost while reading this.

Excuse me while I go weep for people who have to deal with jackasses like this guy on a full time basis, and for humanity in general....
    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Quoth Tito View Post
    Yes it is, and you fail.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Tito View Post
      Me: Sir, yes it is. This is *company name*.
      I came here for an argument, an argument is a series of connected statements designed to establish a preposition, not the automatic game saying of what the other person just said.....

sigh way too much monty python
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        I came here for an argument, an argument is a series of connected statements designed to establish a preposition, not the automatic game saying of what the other person just said.....
        I'm sorry, this is abuse. So shut yer festering gob, you tit!

Comment

I'd just say. "Sorry, wrong number" and hang up.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

*goes deaf from the thousands of screaming braincells that just died!*

dear god I hate when this happens! We share a similar number to a hotel. The amount of people that call and demand a room is amazing!

I would have hung up on him if I were you! Darn your patient!

Oh and YES I have been TEMPTED to book the rooms for the douche bags that demand them. But I don't want to cause hell for the hotel that has to deal with the result.
            I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Someone just called me at home today...

Me: Hello?
              IC: Is Jerry in?
              Me: No. You have the wrong number.
              IC: Si this in not Jerry's house?

30 seconds later.......

IC: Jerry?
              Me: wrong number.
              IC: Ok. *click*

30 seconds later

The phone rings, caller Id tells me it is the same idiot calling. He actually left a message asking for Jerry to call back.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                Someone just called me at home today...

IC: Is Jerry in?
                IC: Si this in not Jerry's house?

30 seconds later.......

IC: Jerry?
                Me: wrong number.
                IC: Ok. *click*

30 seconds later

The phone rings, caller Id tells me it is the same idiot calling. He actually left a message asking for Jerry to call back.

That happened to me just recently also.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

In my hometown, there are two prefexes, and my parents own the same number on both of them (eg: 555-5555 and 556-5555). Makes it easy to remember, but I can't count the number of times this happened:
                  *line one rings*
                  me: hello?
                  caller: hello? is (Jenny) there?
                  me: Sorry, there's nobody by the name of Jenny at this number.
                  caller: ok, sorry.
                  *10 seconds later, line 2 rings*
                  me (picking up): sorry, Jenny doesn't live at this number, either
                  caller: .... *hang up* (well, half of them did, the other half laughed)

If people insist on calling the same number after I've told them it's wrong, I start answering, "So-and-so STILL isn't at this number."
                  What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

sigh way too much monty python
                    ...no it isn't.

You win points, since the entire original post played itself out in the same voices in my head.

They are still talking to me...
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Binky View Post
                      I would have hung up on him if I were you! Darn your patient!
                      Oh, trust me, it was starting to wear thin! If he had kept it up much longer, I would have had no choice but to hang up on him, since I had other calls coming in.
                      Last edited by Ree; 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM.
                      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

"Sir, you're asking for *other company*, and we are *company*. So either you misdialed or you'll have to assume the phone company messed up the connection. Either way, I am not the person you want to talk to. So have a nice day."
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

We get calls for Greyhound Canada all the time. In fairness, it's not their fault, because the number was published wrong. It's one digit off from ours.

Now, most people are polite and thank us when we tell them the number was published wrong and offer to tell them the correct number.

Of course, there's the SC's who want to argue that that's what they dialed.

I had one on Saturday that was so bad that finally, after he stated THREE times that he dialed that number, I said:

"If you had DIALED the number I'm trying to give you, you'd be taking to Canadian Greyhound right now!!"

Then I hung up. Kinda sucky, I know, but I had real callers on hold that were having to wait while I argued with this idiot.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Same thing...

I have a second phone line in my home dating back from dial-up access. Anyway the number is one digit off from a local Ophthalmologist's office. I know, because I'm one of his patients.
                            It usually takes a caller a couple of tries to get to the doctor because they need an appointment for....wait for it...NEW GLASSES. I've chatted with several very nice elderly people and even offered to call the dr.'s office and have the office call THEM.

Comment

Yeah, i used to get a similar thing all the time on my mobile (cell) phone, some guy was sending me text messages, letting his boss, a guy called Pete, know that he was going to be off work sick or whatever random crap he had to say. I would look, delete the message and go about my day (don't really care if some guy I don't know can't read a telephone number correctly.)

Anyway. after a few months of this, one night I got a call, from the idiot.

Guy: Hi, is Pete there.

Me: Sorry, you've got the wrong number

Guy: (muttering) (hangs up)

Good, or so I thought, until about ten minutes later, phone rings.

Guy: Hi Pete.

Me: Sorry, wrong number again.

Guy: It's not the wrong number, I've got it in my phone.

Me: Well, obviously you've got it wrong.

Guy:Is Pete there.

Me: No, it's the wrong number.

Guy (Hangs up)

I got another three calls from the same guy, within the next hour, with the last one being

Me: Yes

Guy: Oh... (hangs up)

Never heard from him since, although I did keep his number in my phone, for possible later pranking. I almost called pretending to be a doctor from a local hospital to say that his friend pete had been in an accident, but then my human side woke up, hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X