This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She doesn't know what zero means.....

So I had an elderly lady call in today, she moved out of state and had her cable service turned off. She did this after her bill printed out, so she ended up getting a bill for the next month.

If you thought this is where things went downhill, you'd be incorrect. I managed to get her to understand what happened (she was 94 years old and hard of hearing), and she said in that wonderful mean old lady tone "you people better not send me any more bills out". Now I needed to let her know that she was going to get a final statement from us with a balance of $0 just so she had proof her account was closed out. This would be where the wheels fell off.

Me: You will get the final bill letting you know the account is closed, but it'll be a zero balance.

Her: What??? I don't understand you.

*thinking ok, she's old and cant hear, I repeat what I said*

Her: A what balance? I don't understand you!!!

Me: *getting somewhat confused at this point* a zero balance, meaning you don't owe anything, the bill will say zero dollars

Her: I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, YOU BETTER NOT TRY TO SAY I OWE YOU PEOPLE ANY MONEY!!!

Me: No ma'am, it will say a zero balance, as in nothing

Her. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU!!!!!

She literally didn't know what "zero" was. I knew she was old, but apparently she was born before numbers were invented. Also it's really hard to explain the concept of zero to someone who doesn't know it. It's like some graduate philosophy thesis trying to define the state of nothingness.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

I get situations like this all the time at the food bank. For whatever reason I can explain things a million times and they still will not understand the simplest of concepts.

Example:
    You'll need to bring ID for you and anyone else in your family.
    But I have a baby.
    Do you have the baby's birth cert.?
    Yes.
    Bring that.
    Huh?
    The birth cert. is ID for the baby.
    But it's not ID.
    Yes it is.
    No it's not. It has no picture.
    For a baby that is acceptable.
    I don't understand.
    Just... bring the birth certificate.
    Why?
    But why?
    You know what... just because. Trust me. Just do it. Just bring the birth certificate.
    Wh-
    Bring it.
    But I-
    Bring it.
    Bu--
    Bring.
    Wh--
    It. Bring it.
    Ok, thanks. *click*

Comment

Don't get fresh! Of course she wasn't born before numbers were invented. Why back in her day they had already invented all the best numbers.. 3 4 6 and 9 and they were talking about 5 but couldn't decide if it was a number or not. Who ever heard of this 0 stuff. Next thing you'll be trying to convince me they have added a 1 and a 2. Crazyness I tell ya.... you young people just make stuff up.

Comment

So she didn't understand what that meant. How was she sucky? was she sucky because she was hard of hearing? If so, then I must be sucky also. I am partially death in one ear. And with me, my hearing comes and goes. I say next time, don't judge unless you walked in their shoes. If I am missing the point of this thread, please tell me
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
          So she didn't understand what that meant. How was she sucky? was she sucky because she was hard of hearing?
          She was sucky because she didn't understand the concept of nothing. Really. That's it. Nothing about being hard of hearing. Don't read more into it than was put in.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            She was sucky because she didn't understand the concept of nothing. Really. That's it. Nothing about being hard of hearing. Don't read more into it than was put in.

But still, how was that sucky? So she was stupid, but sucky? I am not reading more into it, I was stating another reason for that happening.
            Last edited by powerboy; 07-04-2008, 07:41 AM.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Well I was getting screamed at by an old lady who thought the evil cable company was going to charge her more money because she didn't understand the concept of zero bill = no money owed.

If I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, the amount of times we went back and forth over what zero meant eliminated any chance of it being an issue of her not hearing me.

Also, if stupid customers no longer count as sucky then you can probably delete 75% of the posts in this folder.
              "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Maybe you should have used 'ought' or 'zilch' or ....

"Ma'am, you owe us bupkis!"

Can you imagine what she'd hear instead though?
                "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                  But still, how was that sucky? So she was stupid, but sucky? I am not reading more into it, I was stating another reason for that happening.
                  The OP never claimed the customer was sucky, merely that she couldn't comprehend how anyone could not understand what "zero" meant, and couldn't figure out how to explain it to her without confusing her further.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                    Maybe you should have used 'ought' or 'zilch' or ....

"Ma'am, you owe us bupkis!"

Can you imagine what she'd hear instead though?
                    or, to be really tell her she has a null balance then mute and laugh as she goes through the roof.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                      This is why we've created the new forum. People keep asking "How was that sucky?" Now, we've got a place for tales where customers do something stupid.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        This is why we've created the new forum. People keep asking "How was that sucky?" Now, we've got a place for tales where customers do something stupid.
                        thanks for that broomjockey... I'm sure I can fill that forum because I get a lot of stupid people who aren't sucky.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          thanks for that broomjockey... I'm sure I can fill that forum because I get a lot of stupid people who aren't sucky.
                          I think it's a great idea, and will help keep focus on the story, rather than picking stories apart over the amount of suck presented. Saw your thread in there already and laughed. And if anyone posted a thread recently that they think would go better in the new forum, feel free to pm a mod, or even report it (since that gets the message to all of us) asking for it to be moved.

Comment

Personally I would have said "you'll get something in the mail from us showing that you owe us nothing"

Yeah "zero balance" makes no sense, but it saves 30 minutes of arguing over what 0 is, especially to a confused old lady.

Comment

Working...
                            X