Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An amazing battle cry!!! (it's me.. of COURSE it's long!!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An amazing battle cry!!! (it's me.. of COURSE it's long!!)

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!

Allow me to explain...

I work for a service company. A 24/7 service company. This week I'm the one on-call. As readers of my OTHER THREAD know, I'm on-call every two weeks because my former co-irker is an immature feeb who got himself fired.

Last night SUCKED... One of my responsibilities is to inspect and maintain the CCTV and access control hardware/software for the Airport. Well.. It's lightning season.. To make a long story short, at 4am we got the last gate working and everything up and running. 19 hour days aren't so tough.. right??

They called me at 6:45 am and I slept right through it. I usually sleep an hour or two longer when they abuse me like that the night before. Elstupido leaves his phone in the truck... Luckily the wife put the alarm on and I had thought to find out why it was 830 am and no-one was complaining to me.. 3 frantic voicemail listens later... Another panel had gone offline in the wee hours of the morning and NONE of the doors were working. This being post-911, the customer was INSISTANT that I get this all working ... NOW..

Problem was... I used all my replacement parts, cobbled together a few temporaries from scraps and outright STOLE every last thing I could find LAST night.. So there I am, waiting on hold for tech support, in the DUMBASS hope that they'd have something intelligent to say (other than "replace the unit and send it to us.. oh.. we don't cover lightning damage.. so sorry..")

It was a LONG.. LONG day...

This is all to set the tone for my mood and physical exaustion when I get a service call tonight. One of our whinier clients had called for service, saying they had "camera outages and grinding noises from the DVR" (Think $10,000 a pop!!!)

Now this hospital doesn't exactly... uh.. hire the brightest bulbs... er.. choose from a particularly deep gene puddle pool.... OKAY.. THEY ARE SIMPLY DUMBER THAN MUD!!! These morons are the feebs who can't figure out how to click {YES} on a computer screen thereby saving me two hours of drive time!!! They've had people SCREAM of being "LOCKED INSIDE A ROOM FOR HOURS!!!eleventy?!" because they were stupid enough to try and pry a stuck drawer with their access badge. The destroyed badge not only still worked when tested....

the door still had a handle to turn... they said they were.. Yes.. I'm Quoting....
    AFRAID OF IT!!!!

These winners are in charge of people's HEALTH!!

So..

So...

SO...

You can understand why I wanted to call before driving out there.

As soon as I call up, the person who answered dashed all my hopes of dealing with this over the phone. They spent 2 minutes "umm"ing and "ahh"ing while trying to describe the sounds the DVR was making, talking to their coworker across the room, speak on ANOTHER PHONE and ... of course... EAT!!!

C: Moi -Crazeyal - Handsome devil - Abused Technician - One tired Mofo
    I: Inbred paint huffing idiot with beeswax and confetti for brains

C: Can you access the cameras at all? Is it one DVR or the Matrix that's down?

I: Whuh?

C:*surpresses sigh* The monitors you have on the desk in front of you..

I: Ohhhh Dem!! Yeah.. dey's fine!

C: *almost lets a sigh slip out* Uh.. the call was specific saying that there were cameras down... you can see all of them, control all the DVR?

I: Wh-urgh?? (yes.. she made that sound!! She was trying to say "What?" and the thought had a catostrophic Dylithium crystal failure CAP'N!! That thought.. it blew up GOOOooOOooOD!!)

C: *gives up and lets out a sigh like I was wearing a corset three sizes too small.. er.. *aheh.. erase erase..* I.. I'm on my way...

I get to within 2 miles of the place (having been slightly diverted to go rescue a stranded family member who locked their keys in their car) and the on-call manager calls me up and tells me that they CANCELLED THE CALL! Nuh - UH!! I tell him I'm going anyway, these idiots have been known to call later on for FIXED problems, because no-one told the new shift that we'd taken care of it already. I wasn't driving out AGAIN...

I: They diden' callz you??

C: Yeah.. they did.. but I wanted to make sure it's fixed.

I: Well it's not doin' it no mo...

I surpress the sigh (again) and aks her to point out which DVR was making noise BEFORE. I figured telling her that just because it stopped making noise did NOT mean whatever it was had magically become HEALED HALLELUHAH!!!... She seemed more like the "Kick it until it works" type...

But...

She was pointing AWAY from our equiptment, over to the middle of her desk. Now this place is a LOT of things.. Cheap set-up.. it AINT!! (5) 16 camera Digital video recorders (in a rack behind her) $56,000 (12) LCD high res flat screen monitors $9500 (???)(3) Flat screen 78" Plasma screens ($8-12,000 I dunno) Network stations for CCTV and Access control (a whooooole bunch and $$$$$$$$$$$$)

Now where SHE was pointing was the middle of the wall, or right under the bigass tv screen. Looking at the metal desk, I see there is no easy way to actuallGET to where she's pointing. The desk was built in place and it takes up literally 1/2 the room. The only way to get there is to either deconstruct the desk or stupidly climb ontop of something holding up more $$ worth of tech than I make in a YEAR...

Yeah.. I'm an idiot...

After gingerly and carefully finding out the table could hold far more than my weight, I made my way behind the desk. What I saw behind there was simply just a power supply. More power than most villages pull in... but basically a fancy plug housing for 220 volts. Now what's directly in BACK of this mass of high power cables is a simple PC computer. Everyone who's not lived under a bridge for the last 30 years knows what the back of these are supposed to contain...

Black power cord.. check
    Mouse wire.. check
    Monitor cable.. check
    Network cable.. check
    Waaaaaaaaaaay too much accumulated dust and hair in the fan.. check
    Spoon sitting directly on the fan.. che-WURGH?! (CAPN SHE'S CANNAE TAKE NO MORE!!!!!)

They got me ALL the way out here...
    THIS ISN'T EVEN ONE OF OUR COMPUTERS
    AND IT's A FRIGGEN SPOON MAKING THE NOISE?!?!?

I lost it...

I busted out laughing.
    Hopped over the table in one leap (missed the $12,000 Plasma monitor by THAT MUCH!!)
    Handed her the spoon with a flourish and skipped out the door backwards singing "I can fix annnnything..."

Now whenever they call me to go to the Hospital I am going to give out the OTHER well known battle cry..

NOT IN THE FACE!!!

Last edited by Crazeyal; 07-25-2008, 03:20 AM.

I laughed. I cried. I laughed some more.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Having read some of your past posts, I'm surprised that you have any sanity left.
      "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Having read ANY of my posts..

WHY WOULD YOU ASSUME I HAD ANY TO BEGIN WITH?!?!?

Comment

My internal optimism keeps popping up; I can never silence it.
          "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

What do you wanna bet this hospital also has a higher patient death rate than most??!

I'd put the odds at 3 to 1

Comment

Al, I'm sorry, but you make me feel good about my users sometimes. I got to deal with a project developer who let his e-mail build up so much that Outlook stalled...at 43k messages and (trying to, anyway) counting.

I finally got them all to load on one of the better machines, and threatened him with just deleting everything before X date if he didn't get them cleaned up today. He's not happy, and I don't care. It's stupid to let your e-mail go like that. I'm seriously considering converting the POS laserjet 1100 in my office into a mace.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My brain hurts.

Owie.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The TICK!!!!!!!! I guess I'm the first one to get the reference.

You are the Service technician's deity

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    at 43k messages and (trying to, anyway) counting.
                    Yee-fah RIGGEN IKE!!!
                    Good for you that you can throw a little fear into someone so DAMNED lazy... And that's what it is for jackasses like that... Not technical failure, not misunderstanding.. JUST LAZINESS...

yeesh..

But at least they aren't my regular customer. I woulda been fired LONG ago if I had to visit these idiots twice a week..

Comment

Quoth Brightglaive View Post
                      The TICK!!!!!!!! I guess I'm the first one to get the reference.
                      At least the first to comment on it..

Comment

Door handles and spoons: humankind's only natural enemies.
                        "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                          SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!

:
                          "Arthur! I need a battle cry!"

Oh my God I love the tick!
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                            Yee-fah RIGGEN IKE!!!
                            Good for you that you can throw a little fear into someone so DAMNED lazy... And that's what it is for jackasses like that... Not technical failure, not misunderstanding.. JUST LAZINESS...
                            Oh, no. You see, he needed all of the for CYA--according to him.

Why he couldn't save them off into an archive, or seperate files like a normal human being, I don't know.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              Oh, no. You see, he needed all of the for CYA--according to him.

Why he couldn't save them off into an archive, or seperate files like a normal human being, I don't know.
                              We have a lot of people who need them for the same.

We set policy that if they don't archive them, they WILL be deleted. People learned to archive REAL QUICK.

The other thing about that, though. If you archive to somewhere other than the desktop or my documents, or DON'T KNOW WHERE THE HECK YOUR EMAILS ARE BEING STORED,

WARN THE TECH TO SAVE THEM BEFORE THEY REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't back up something that I don't know exists. Telling me about it after the fact doesn't help.
                              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                              X