Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least in NC, and I think throughout the US, a bedroom *does* have a closet. So if you're selling a house with X bedrooms, they better all have closets. It affects property listings and that sort of thing. My folks picked up a fixer-upper where the previous owner (among other boneheaded renovations) had put another doorway to a different part of the house in one of the rooms that *had* been a bedroom, and built on an extra room with no closets. Unsurprisingly, their property value went up quite a bit when they restored those rooms to usability.

A room without a closet isn't a bedroom, it's a bonus room or an office. And, if you're the moron who did the renovations to my folks' house before they bought it, if you've knocked a hole in the wall and now this room is the only means of accessing other parts of the house... it's not a bedroom, it's a hallway It may be a very WIDE hallway, but if it's the only way of getting from point A to point B, it's a hallway. Though I guess he could've listed the addition as a 'spacious 16x16 walk-in closet with windows' or something...

Then again, those renovations were also done by the same gent who figured that cutting structural members out of the exterior walls wasn't going to cause a problem. Some people...

That said, though. She's renting the property. It HAS a closet, it IS a bedroom, she just can't get INTO the closet, because she's an idiot. If she needed a closet, the time to figure that out was before renting a property where she wasn't allowed to use the closet.
    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

It's sad that people like this give nice lawyers a bad name. (And yes, there ARE some nice people who just happen to be laywers.)

Comment

Pull a Bluebeard on the SC! Give them the keys to every room in the condo, but make them understand that, while they can open every door, have all the fun they want, they can't use that key. Then fill the closet with mutilated bodies. Record the ensuing panic, and enjoy!

(Just watch out, sometimes the SC has vengeful siblings who will murder you.)
        "Have muck knowledge, but no certainties. Live. I am sorry, Sorianna." -Gverion

Check out my DeviantArt Site
        Or my Webcomic!

Comment

Actually, the biggest requirement for a bedroom is a secondary means of escape, in the event of a fire. Closets are pretty subjective, from what I understand. I'm sure different regions have their own views on closets, but a bedroom is not a bedroom unless it has an additional means of egress. It's a safety thing.
          Certifiable Interior Designer
          (Passed the NCIDQ Exam - Summer 2008)

It's hard to shoot zombies with a cat on your lap!

Comment

Working...
          X