Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do you remember the SA I said quit?

She moved to another company and we were told that the position would be filled probably by Christmas with one of us from the Reservations department.

Apparently not. One of the owners just hired someone without telling anyone. Apparently she has no experience in hotels whatsoever, but the RM has been told to train her in how to put in reservations. Oh, but she isn't sitting with us. She's sitting where the old SA sat in the other room with the accountants. From the sounds of it, WE are still the ones to deal with all sales stuff.

I asked RM if he knows why none of us were offered the job because most of us have been here a really long time and have lots of experience in this industry. He said he doesn't know.

I so want to walk out right now, you wouldn't believe.

Oh and I should add that she's going to be paid more than we and she doesn't have to be on the phone.

Comment

Why do companies do this????? Idiotic decisions.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I really wish I knew. I think I'd be rich if I did. It had me so upset yesterday that I actually left the office for lunch and started crying. The guy at the Quiznos down the street has started to know me and tried to comfort me. I didn't tell him much, just that I got skipped over for promotion again which isn't precisely the exact truth but close enough.

This place makes me feel like I'm being wrung like rag every day I walk in the door.

Comment

Ok, so that was interesting.

I just met the new girl. And btw, she really doesn't know what she's doing. The agents knew within seconds.

And then HR came to me on her own and basically apologized saying "We didn't know she was going to be hired. My understanding was that we weren't going to hire anyone for the job, and we definitely didn't advertise for it. If we did, I'd have come to you about it. "

I said "Thank you for that but you need to know that the agents in this department are incredibly frustrated and angry by whats been going on. Every time a position opens up, the company brings someone in from the outside instead of promoting people that have been here for years that have much more experience and education in what they are looking for."

She said "I completely understand, and I'm very sorry for that. With the problems you have all been having, I really suggest you go together and talk to the COO to have them addressed properly".

Now coworker B said she's going to come in on her day off tomorrow so that all of us agents can go together to talk to the COO about all this. Coworker A wants to "wait". What for? I have no idea. Sounds to me like she just doesn't want to do anything even though I know she's mad about all this too.

Going to the COO will not work if its just two of us. We need to show a unified front in this.

Comment

I think I know the reason: it's because most, if not all, company's believe that they can get someone from the outside to do the job because the ones already on the inside can do their jobs just fine. They don't want to hire from within because then it means trying to find someone else to replace the ones that they believe are doing the job the best.

Or so I think, but that doesn't mean much. And lots of cookies and chocolates and kitty hugs.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
              I think I know the reason: it's because most, if not all, company's believe that they can get someone from the outside to do the job because the ones already on the inside can do their jobs just fine. They don't want to hire from within because then it means trying to find someone else to replace the ones that they believe are doing the job the best.

Or so I think, but that doesn't mean much. And lots of cookies and chocolates and kitty hugs.
              But what about all the money they're now gonna spend training the new person. Especially if the new person has no experience in this field. *shakes her head*
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Yeah, personally if thats the case, its a really bad mindset all around.

Comment

Coworker A wants to "wait". What for?
                  I suspect A may be afraid of how the owners will react to the meeting with the COO.

Comment

It costs so much to hire and train a new person, both in the time invested and in the lost productivity while they are getting up to speed. You have to get the right person, or it's just a waste of money because they leave or NEVER get up to speed. I've seen successful companies that SOLELY hire from the outside, but they make damn sure that they hire top notch people that will be a real benefit.

Take a good person from the inside and promote them upward and you end up with the Dilbert principle if you're not careful. Personally, I think that there is room for improvement for most people. Promote from within when appropriate, but don't be afraid to patiently wait to recruit a good person if you can't.

Comment

Raveni, I agree. The problem is that all of us working there are infinitely more qualified than the girl they brought in. The girl they brought in knows NOTHING about the industry. NOTHING. We are having to train her how to do it. Apparently she has retail sales experience, but so what. Retail isn't hotels. They aren't even remotely close.

Comment

Hellfire, I have worked in assorted types of retail and customer service ranging from alarm services with ADT/Wells Fargo to State Farm Insurance when they had a call center in Cheshire CT [loved both jobs, actually loved all my telephone CS jobs] and I wouldn't consider myself qualified to do anything except call center operator for hotels until I had a lot of experience under my headset. Management should always come from within ... someone who knows the company, the 'products' and how things are done internally.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          Why do companies do this????? Idiotic decisions.
                          I asked my colleague who had moved from HR about this very thing. Depending on the success/failure of the promotion, it can really screw with the rest of the workers.

She gave the example of her experience when a team leader was promoted to manager. A senior team member was promoted to cover the team leader position, and a team member promoted to senior, and a new team member hired.

All was fine until the old senior team member couldn't do the team leader job well. So the new manager had to come back to do some of the team lead job too. Demoting the team lead back to senior team member screwed with the team balance, and all the changes to and fro messed with morale something shocking.

Hiring from outside stops having to promote a string of people whose new role could be jeopardised by others in the string. She said that she was very leery of promoting within a team, just for this reason. The logical part of me pointed out that it was not necessary to always promote from within, and that the promotion that didn't work in her example did not mean that it would always happen. It didn't matter to her 'HR' mindset. Risk-averse and all that.

So, it may just be that someone screwed up sometime, and now HR are scared of the paperwork they have to do to fix problems it *may*, on some remote chance, cause.

Comment

Heh, if they removed my RM and gave it to me, I already know my whole department would give a sigh of relief. So would accounting. But COO and DORR love him, probably because he makes no waves, and does NOTHING at all but exactly what he's told to do.

See, if I got the job, I wouldn't let the DORR step on me, and I bet he knows it too.

I'm not the type of person to allow myself to be walked on. By customers or by coworkers, and I think they know that. It may scare them. The thing is, I'm also very good with the customers. I can normally solve their problems quickly and easily when I have the power to do so. In fact, I have a letter from a guest that had been sent to my DORR saying how wonderful I am because I had been able to solve her problem when no one else in four months had been able to. She had talked to 11 people before me.

Yet somehow, I can never get a promotion in this place. See, the thing is I already know I'd probably be the FOM if I had stayed at my previous job. They told me I would have been and when I went back home last (I wouldn't stay anywhere else because I know and trust them that much) they even asked me to come back behind the desk to spend a couple hours training their front desk employees because I'm just that good at what I do.

I honestly think its THIS place. The company I'm currently with plays favorites like nobody I've ever seen before. My old supervisor got away with stealing thousands of dollars in commission from the rest of us, and then when she heard that I was up for her old job, she sent out this nasty lying email to our manager and the COO and vehemently protesting the theft and the email is why they hate me so much.

Comment

Working...
                            X