This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I on a different planet?

Once again, It's time for Really Big Craft Show.

For those new this year, I make quilts and sell them both online and at craft shows. Really Big Craft Show started out as a handmade-only show, but in the past 7 years or so has become filled with resellers. There are even booths of people reselling Wal-Mart goods. My family has been doing this show for 20+ years. This show is also the only time I see my mom and grandmother, since I'm kicked out of the family.

So anyway, because of tons of family drama (basically my uncle being a moocher and my grandmother's increasing dementia), I decided to take on the bulk of the booth this year. I wanted to reduce the workload that my mom and grandmother would have to do, since thier stuff is all mixed in together and not inventoried. I worked out a booth layout and had a meeting 6 weeks before the show, to make sure we were all on the same page.

So Wednesday night I went with mom and her BF to help load up the trailer. (Of course Uncle and Sister NCNSed on us again) So it was up to the three of us to get everything loaded up and strapped down.

Thursday Mom and BF were supposed to head down to the show and get the displays set up while I was having my hair done and picking up lunch. They arrived about ten minutes after I did, and refused to start setting up until after they ate. So we should have finished setting up by 4pm at the latest, and ended up again getting kicked out at 10pm. Mom, of course, once we get the trailer unloaded has to complain and started rearranging the booth layout that I worked on for months. I had planned on actually getting home in time for dinner with hubby and the kids, but with all the hiccups I ended up missing out and hubby ended up cursing and yelling on the phone.

Friday I had hubby in the booth to help us use our new CC swiper. After the fiasco with setup, I was expecting to get cursed out again by non-customers. This is where I felt like I was on another planet. I was not cursed at by anyone, and no one mentioned Wal-mart. I don't know if it was because of the "Buy Handmade" sign I had in the booth, or all the prayers I'd done. But I was busy, and complimented over and over on how awesome the quilts were. Even other crafters were telling me to keep up the good work and that my prices were just fine. I did find out on Friday that there was one other quilt booth in the building, they were resellers selling queen size quilts for $90. Mine were $250. I was surprised to hear from customers that she was sending people down to my booth since I did custom orders and T-shirt quilts and she was just reselling.

Saturday and Sunday I had to put up a sign on my demo t-shirt quilt that it was indeed made from t-shirts since according to one customer "it looked too cool to be made from t-shirts" I also had some quilt groupies stop by to visit. They were from Kentucky and they love to travel around and meet quilters and hear thier stories and the stories behind thier quilts. I just can't describe how awesome it felt that they just wanted to hang out and talk to me, like I was a celebrity or something. I handed out over 500 custom order flyers and so far I have 25 Christmas orders. I probably won't be able to sleep until Christmas, but that's alright.

The only downside is that I didn't have any SCs to talk to you guys about!

Edit: Forgot to mention that according to OK's gambling laws, I wasn't able to hold a raffle to sell my CTF fundraiser quilt that I made in honor of Plaid. However, one of my customers just loved it so much, that she bought it, so now I get to send a letter with quilt photos and a nice check to the CTF.
    Last edited by Kanalah; 10-27-2011, 03:46 PM.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Congrats on a great show! you were due!

Comment

I know, the past 6 years I've been cursed out.

It was a bit surreal because I kept thinking "oh man tomorrow's gonna be a doozy!" I didn't even get any hagglers on Sunday.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
        I know, the past 6 years I've been cursed out.

It was a bit surreal because I kept thinking "oh man tomorrow's gonna be a doozy!" I didn't even get any hagglers on Sunday.
        I think it must be good karma working...
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Awesome stuff
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
            Thursday Mom and BF were supposed to head down to the show and get the displays set up while I was having my hair done and picking up lunch. They arrived about ten minutes after I did, and refused to start setting up until after they ate. So we should have finished setting up by 4pm at the latest, and ended up again getting kicked out at 10pm. Mom, of course, once we get the trailer unloaded has to complain and started rearranging the booth layout that I worked on for months. I had planned on actually getting home in time for dinner with hubby and the kids, but with all the hiccups I ended up missing out and hubby ended up cursing and yelling on the phone.
            This happens every year. Start planning for it.

Basically, expect your Uncle and Sister to NCNS, expect your Mom and BF to be late and to work slowly. Decide how much work you want to put in on your Mom's part of the booth, and plan to do just that amount - and DO that amount. If you don't want to help load the trailer, let them know you won't be doing that this year.

Plan to spend the whole day at the booth on preparation day; the first half doing your setup, the second half preventing your mother from wrecking your setup while helping her do hers.

DON'T make the mistake of having your husband expect you home. You know that won't happen. You know your mother and whoever is helping her will be there until they're kicked out.

Of course, you COULD leave earlier. Just go in as soon as possible the next day, expecting to have to rearrange whatever they've disarranged.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Well I've been going over everything, and I think half of the problem was some of the things I wanted to use for displays were bulky and heavy. The other half was that they measured the booths from the other side of the building and so our "pole" moved. Our booth is up against one of the building's walls and they have support poles every 10 ft or so. Depending on where they start to measure for the booths, our pole moves. It's always either right in the middle of the booth or more on the left side. When I made the layout, it was based on last year's pole position.

As for my mom's stuff. They had one 6ftx2ft table this year. That was it. The rest of the 10ftx20ft booth was mine. And she still argued with me about displays.

This summer I'm planning on building more quilt racks. They set up a lot easier and faster then anything else. A lot of the problems we had this year was because my mother doesn't know how to drive the truck and trailer. If we just use my quilt racks and a couple of tables to set up we won't need to use it.

I'm pretty used to family members NCNSing on me all the time. So I don't really worry about that too much.

The only reason I thought I might get to go home early was because normally I have class Thursday nights (this was during fall break) so I thought I might be able to say "family emergency" or some-such and get to leave. My husband got upset because we were supposed to be done setting up by 5pm and at that point we had just started putting quilts on the racks. I swear during set-up people move like molasses in January. Hubby wasn't mad at me, he was mad at my mom for messing up my display.

What I really need to do is convince them to sort through what inventory they have and donate/toss what we *know* won't sell. That will go a long way towards fixing that hornet's nest.

Comment

Grats on an awesome craft show. I'm completely fine with you getting a nice one for once.

Comment

I'm sorry about your family problems. But I am glad of your success.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                  X