This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpdesk or chat line?

I'm not sure exactly where to put this: it's not sucky, exactly, just exasperating. Unsupportable might work, kinda, but this call had virtually nothing to do with IT or computer security (at the uni anyway). Mods, please move this as appropriate.

I didn't realise the (Uni) helpdesk doubled as a chat line. I swear today's obligatory just-before-lunch caller only phoned the helpdesk to ramble. It was a pleasant, friendly ramble, but still... 19 minutes. She didn't even use a single comma or full stop, and I could barely get a "Hmm..." or "Yeah..." in edgewise.

It started along the lines of "What do I do if I reckon somebody with admin rights is doing something untoward with my info...?" (Turns out it was sorta hypothetical, but to begin with I thought she actually suspected that.) It then progressed to oil-rich sheiks with no regard for human rights, evil hackers who delete stuff like online job applications and smear people's reputations just because, (or because they're working for the east-European mafia) and how if Facebook were a country it would've collapsed under its own weight ages ago...

19 minutes and 16 seconds of non-stop rambling. I could just as well have stuck the "auto-pilot" from Airplane! in my chair with the phone to its ear, or set the phone down and solved email tickets while she rambled and she wouldn't have known the difference.

And it's only Tuesday. Somebody shoot me, please?

How 'bout setting off one of those personal alarms (near the receiver ...) and yelling, "Sorry, building's burning down, gotta go ..."
    The worst thing about people like that is they don't seem to need to breathe so you have no way of cutting them off at the pass, short of shouting over them.
    Hope the rest of your week is better!

Comment

Working...
    X