This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Attrition

It started in June when our eldest employee retired. She was the Head Teller, and she trained the only other full time teller to replace her. Senior management decided not to hire another teller or offer any of the three part timers a full time position. So we were working with one full time teller (the new Head Teller) and three part time tellers. Total employees at our branch: 9.

Then one of the part-time tellers quit. We were all glad to be rid of her, but we expected management to hire another part-timer. They said they couldn't do that, but our Branch Manager finally convinced them to compromise, and they offered one of the part time tellers a full time position. Total employees at our branch: 8.

Now, technically, there's another employee, but she's a contract employee: the janitor. She only works 2 hours a day cleaning the bank in the early morning hours. Last week, her husband passed away, and she decided to quit. Senior management decide not to replace her. Instead, we have to clean our own work areas, mop, and vacuum. I don't know how this is going to work out, but everyone is pissed. It sounds like a death knell that they either can't or won't hire cleaning staff.

We've been told that all of the tellers are supposed to be trained to open new accounts at the teller windows. But they've received as little training as the rest of us. They don't have a printer that works with the deposit account software. If it's busy, there's not going to be a teller available to open accounts. It's going to get to the point where customers are going to have to make appointments to open accounts.

And that's going to get even worse when our primary CSR retires at the end of the year. They're not planning on replacing her, either. I'm going to have to take over the majority of her work. I'm going to be crazy busy. Total employees at our branch after CSR retires: 7.

That's just over half the employees we had 2 years ago. But considering that every change management makes pushes more and more customers away, I guess we don't need as many employees as we used to.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    Instead, we have to clean our own work areas, mop, and vacuum. I don't know how this is going to work out, but everyone is pissed. It sounds like a death knell that they either can't or won't hire cleaning staff.
    Ugh, wow. Yeah, that right there is the biggest warning sign I'd say. I'm impressed you didn't revolt.

Comment

I take it you still need the same number of managers, though?

Funny how that works.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        I take it you still need the same number of managers, though?

Funny how that works.

Rapscallion
        Well, that's why they can't afford any actual employees ...

Comment

The company does seem to be top-heavy, although I'm not sure, since I've never seen an org chart.

The head of HR (she might be the only person in HR, I'm not sure) came up to visit last week, with the pretense of bringing supplies. Five hour round trip, she only stayed an hour, and spent that whole time talking. And she only brought a small box of forms that she could have just as easily mailed. We were all aware that she was there to see how busy we were, but she didn't stay long enough to find out. Plus she came at the slowest time of the week/month, so it's not a valid demonstration of how busy we really are. Still, I'm sure she'll use her visit as an excuse not to hire another employee when we beg and plead for one, as we likely will after CSR retires.

In addition to the random visits from HR, the internal auditor visits us every month. She usually brings another employee with her, but that other employee doesn't actually do anything. The tasks the auditor does while she's here only take about two hours and could be done via fax. The exact day of her visit is supposed to be a surprise, but we all know because we don't get our usual junk emails forwarded to us (this in a company that is supposedly really strict about personal internet usage on company time/computers). This is the kind of waste that prevents us from getting things we really need, like training and personnel.

As for the revolt, we've talked for almost a year how funny it would be if we all quit at the same time. But we all need the jobs, see. And though we have no loyalty to the bank, we do have some loyalty to many of the customers. So we stay, although there may be some breaking point.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

The place is not sounding healthy, financially.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I understand the loyalty to the customers, but I hope all the employees are looking for other jobs. It sounds as though they're building a case to close your branch, at which point loyalty from you or the customers will not matter.

I do wish you the best, having gone through a company closing.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The thing is, I don't see how they could close our branch. We're the only branch in the state. Still, I am considering dusting off my resume.
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

If your branch is the only one in the state, they may consider having to deal with the state banking laws for one branch to not be worthwhile.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

As Loyal to your Customers as the branches employees are, I would not make that a factor if I stayed at a job or not. The Banks Loyalty to the costumers will always trump the employees.. I'm thinking they are making a case to close the branch tho, if it's the only one in the state.. that would make more sense to close it. .. One less state of Banking laws that they have to deal with not to mention they would no longer have to deal with the state's employment laws....

The savings cost of operating the branch would also be factored in by the cost savings for not having additional legal fees to deal with the states laws,
                    Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                    X