This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Smart Adapter Notification

I have a fairly new Compaq laptop running Windows 7. I keep getting a notification "For full performance, connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter. For more information, click here."

When you click on the notification, this is what the window says:

"The Smart AC Adapter connected will power your computer, but potentially at a reduced performance level. Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected. Resource intensive tasks may cause your system not to perform at its highest level with a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter. Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter for full performance."

It then gives you a link to the HP website to look at buy said adapter.

My problem is, I cannot get this notification to go the fark away. It pops up about every 10 seconds (or less) and clicking the "X" on the notification doesn't stop it, and neither does actually clicking on the notification and closing the window.

Anyone know of a setting I can change to get this to go away? It's starting to drive me nuts because it's covering up the subtitles on my animes. I think it's somehow connected to the HP Adviser. Can I get rid of that as well without completely screwing up my computer?
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

That is the power supply is not providing enough power to overcome the amount of power you are using warning message. It will pop up every time your computer has to use battery power while plugged in.

General causes are using 100% cpu power while having to many USB devices plugged in at once. Especially USB devices like cell phones or cooling fans. If the wattage off the adapter is less than 60 you can go buy an 90 watt adapter for your computer and the issue should go away. And a higher watt adapter will charge the battery faster.

Playing WoW on my computer with a cooling fan attached is Almost to much for my 90 watt adapter. The battery simply could not charge while WoW was running. I had to bring out the big guns a 120 watt adapter.

Now if this is not the case and it happens while you are sitting there Just browsing the internet then you most likely have an issue with the actual power adapter. Unless if it is a <60 watt unit, I would then go out and buy a 90.

Why bring up all this when you simply want the warning to go away. When this happens the computer basically goes into a Low Power mode and throttles performance. Basically making your computer slower. Their isint a good way around it to be honest.

Comment

Try clicking on it and you'll get another pop up saying "the smart ac adapter connected to your computer blah blah blah" Then don't delete that, keep it in the background and that will stop the popup. Not the best solution but it's the best I can come up with
      Last edited by Dave1982; 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

HP Smart Adapter Notification

I'm having the exact same problem with the HP Smart Adapter Notification on my Compaq laptop running on Windows 7. It was happening about 2 weeks ago and was driving me nuts. I sent some emails to HP and somehow it stopped. When I turned on my computer tonight the notifications were coming up again, over and over. There are often three of them, one of the other, and they are there for ten seconds and then flash off. They often cover up what I'm doing so I have to stop and press the x to get them out of my way. It really drives a person nuts. It makes me angry with HP for being so insistent and pushy with their products. A notification once in the morning, afternoon and evening would be plenty. This is way out of line, and HP is just creating enemies for themselves this way. I tried what the other person suggest - to click on it and then not to delete the next dialog box and keep it in the background, but in my case it has NOT stopped the popups. They are still coming up continuously. Are there any other suggestions to solve this nasty problem?

Comment

Well, first make sure you aren't having power issues, like Patio and Das suggested.

Secondly, I would just uninstall the HP Advisor. I'm really close to doing it myself on my baby. Actually, I'm really close to just reformatting my baby, but that's just me.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
          X