This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pixilated View Post
    Would've liked to be a fly on the wall for that! I don't think I've ever walked out on a job, but that's because most of the lousy ones were parttime, or temporary, or both, so it was easier to shrug it off.
    That was the housekeeping job.. think I posted about it before... basically the sheets etc used to be laundered at the motel, then they decided they'd get a laundry company to take it on... and offered my hours to the woman who'd been doing the laundry. She said she only wanted to work the hours she was already doing, because she 'didn't work weekends'. So instead of working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, they thought I was going to settle for the Saturday plus cleaning the pub on the Tuesday (which was the pub cleaners day off). It would have barely paid for my petrol getting there and back.

I took off my overall, dumped it on the desk in front of the manager and told him "She wants my hours? She can have ALL of them" and walked out, went to the cupboard in the motel where we kept our coats and headed for home.

(I heard afterwards that in the row that happened afterwards between the manager and his wife - who was supposed to have kept me informed of what was going to happen, and of course hadn't) she threw a glass at him across the kitchen, narrowly missing the chef)
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

ROFL!

I'm amazed the chef didn't quit at that point! Good for you, though -- that's just ridiculous.

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post

TMI: But about 6 months ago, I started taking an anti depressant, and--among other things (like, holy crap, the will to live coming back)--I stopped crying all the time. Like, you know, omg, everything set me off. Big stuff, little stuff, all the stuff. And I can actually handle things that would have just knocked me on my ass. Granted, I'm not sure that just walking out counts as "handling" it, but, it sort of does, I guess. I am not freaking out. One of my sisters in law calls it "better living through chemistry", I definitely agree.
        What I discovered about anti depressants is that you still have lows, it's just easier to come back up. I hate when people make comments about a.d.'s making you artificially happy all the time. I like to say, "Oh really? Is that what I'm like?"

I'm glad you got the help you needed. And I hope you get a better job soon.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
          What I discovered about anti depressants is that you still have lows, it's just easier to come back up. I hate when people make comments about a.d.'s making you artificially happy all the time. I like to say, "Oh really? Is that what I'm like?"

I'm glad you got the help you needed. And I hope you get a better job soon.
          I know what you mean. I was on anti-depressants for a while, and I kept hearing all the jokes about happy-pills and so forth. If those things make you feel all wonderful & marvelous all the time, than I was definitely either on the wrong ones or way under-dosed What they did for me was help me cope a bit better without coming all apart so easily. Which was definetly worth taking them for at that time. But feeling all great all the time? Nope, not even close.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            ROFL!

I'm amazed the chef didn't quit at that point!
            He had a good reason not to - you might say the job came with benefits - in his case, playing Hide the Salami with the managers wife.
            Last edited by Marmalady; 08-19-2012, 07:07 AM.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
            X