This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a name!

A woman came in today to see a leasing agent, so I asked for her name. She had a somewhat thick southern accent so I asked her to repeat.
    At first I thought she said "Lashawn" or possibly "Lasawn". None of the above. The Swan was her name.
    assuming she didn't change her name to that, why would someone name their kid that?

How old was she? Just wondering because back in the Purple Haze of the mid- to late 1960s and early 1970s a lot of people were naming their kids really bizarre things.

Comment

Looked to be about 30, but she could have been as old as 40.

Comment

When I was in the hospital having DD, the woman in the bed next to me had a girl also and named her Dragyn Ravyn Moonstone something or other. All I could think was "that poor kid".

People do weird things with names. Be grateful you didn't meet this guy:
        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1190410.html
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
        --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          How old was she? Just wondering because back in the Purple Haze of the mid- to late 1960s and early 1970s a lot of people were naming their kids really bizarre things.
          I lucked out, then. In those purple haze days, my parents were a little old for the counterculture, having been born in 30 and 31...I was named after my father. Thankfully, Lobo Sr had a name you might find a lot of in the Boston, NYC, and Philadelphia phone books.

My mother, on the other hand...Granny liked unusual names. Thankfully, nothing that made Mom want to change it. Oddly enough, she hated her middle name.

Though my family did end up calling me by a couple of nicknames to distinguish me from my father.
          Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz View Post
            When I was in the hospital having DD, the woman in the bed next to me had a girl also and named her Dragyn Ravyn Moonstone something or other. All I could think was "that poor kid".
            that sounds like what some of my yahoo chat friends would name a kid
            and be serious about it too

Comment

Waaaay back when I was in high school, I remember seeing a poster on a bulletin board about some kind of contest. Some kind of scholastic thing, I guess. It had pics of winners from schools all over the country.

One girl's name was given as September Swann.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

A friend and I once went to an art fair where we had to park and take a shuttle to the site. They were using school buses as shuttles, and the one we were on had kids' first names up on placards all over the place. One girl was named...Takila. I wonder if she had siblings and what their names were?
                "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz View Post

People do weird things with names. Be grateful you didn't meet this guy:
                  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1190410.html
                  This dude has a facebook account too... Weirdo!
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I gave my kids "unique" names, but i made them the middle name, that way they only share what it is if they feel like it. They have very simple, short first names.

Comment

Naming rule #1 according to my friend: Which sounds better when placed in front of your child's name? "Supreme Court Justice" or "Now appearing live on center stage"?

If it's the latter, rethink your name choice.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Heh. My mom sometimes likes to browse the baby name boards on Yahoo Answers or similar, and we always despair at the "unique" spellings that people give their children's names.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                          One girl was named...Takila. I wonder if she had siblings and what their names were?
                          I'm wondering if her middle name was Sunrise or Mockingbird.

Comment

Working...
                          X