Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Facebook (and feeling kinda stupid)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Facebook (and feeling kinda stupid)

Brother today informed me he can see EVERYTHING on my Facebook page ... not talking about things that I "share" or repost, but also comments I make to others but which I do NOT "share" or repost.

Uh ... I was always under the impression the only way you could see EVERYTHING that I do -- shared/reposted and otherwise -- is if you have my password and can actually get into my account? Was I wrong? I understand that "Sharing" means everybody on my friends list will see it ... but absolutely every comment or "Like" that I do, even when I don't share? Really?

If this is true, is there any way to change the settings so my UNshared comments and "likes" and whatnot are not visible to all and sundry??
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Click on the lock icon (Privacy Shortcut) and walk through the privacy checkup.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

cs is correct -- FB's default privacy settings are quite open, to a stupid degree. This goes double for anyone on your Friendlist.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Okay, I have looked under the lock icon ... but it refers to "Whenever you post from News Feed or your profile ..."

I understood that to mean when I "share" something or repost it. Am I wrong?

It seems to offer me an option (among other things) to go from 'Public' to 'Friends.' Brother is on my friends list, so tightening it up there wouldn't help ... would it?

What I want, ultimately, is to ensure that everybody (including my friends) see ONLY those things I share or re-post. If I didn't share or repost it, I don't want it to be treated as if I had.
        Last edited by Pixelated; 11-14-2016, 02:14 AM.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Get on FB and click your name in the top blue bar. The page it takes it to is your "Wall" or "Profile;" your News Feed refers to the posts from others that you see when on the default FB page, or when you click the little globe icon up top -- Anything you share or post (including re-posts, status updates, etc) will show up there, and anyone on your Friendlist can see it. You CAN, however, set individual posts to "Private (Only Me)" ... Click the dropdown box that says "Public" at the bottom of the posting window. Then click "More..." one of the options should be "Only Me." Just keep in mind that that means exactly what you think it does. Nobody else will be able to see such posts until and unless you change that setting.

Does this help?
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Likes and comments on others' posts are going to show up unless you deliberately delete them from your activity log. It can be time consuming, but to do it you click the drop-down arrow in the top right corner, go to Activity Log, then click the little pencil next to something you want to delete. The next best option, and easiest, is to monitor closely what you like or comment on and who your friends are. For example, you don't want your Great-Grandma Edna to find out about your BDSM fetish because you commented on a post involving such things.

As a side note, it might also be a good idea to change your settings so that you have to approve posts that people tag you in before they show up on your newsfeed, if you haven't done so already. I get my fair share of spam tags, mostly from my sister, but it's also good for keeping people from revealing too much about you.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I know that FB shares things that you "react to" (click like or one of their new emotion buttons) or comment on. I see this frequently on my wall: "so-and-so reacted to a post." or "so-and-so commented on a post." It doesn't always pop to the comment that person made, but the post shows up. There's probably a separate setting for whether to share those to other people's walls, but I haven't looked.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

EricKei, thanks for the advice. I will look into that.

Aragarthiel and Ghel, I think that is what is happening: when I like something or comment on it, it's showing up on his page. That's seriously annoying, as I have been deliberately NOT sharing some stuff on the assumption that only the people to whom I was speaking would see my comment. I wasn't aware that it was going all over the fucking place.

If there's no way to block those, I'll either stop commenting on them, or delete them from my activity list. Ugh.

--------

Just out of curiosity, if I delete stuff from my Activity Log, does that also delete the response that I've made (does the other person no longer see it)? Anybody know?

Yes, it does. I just tried it with a friend's post. Once it comes off the Activity Log, it's gone from the other person's newsfeed too.

--------

According to Facebook, no, there is no way to prevent everybody on your friend list from seeing everything you "like" (or comment on, I assume).

Other than having separate accounts based on what you want your Granny to see and what you want your fetish friends to see ...

Well ... now I know. If I want to keep dealing with highly inflammatory topics, I can't do it with this account.

In case anybody else is wondering about the same thing ...

https://www.facebook.com/help/commun...37817122973084
                Last edited by EricKei; 11-16-2016, 02:17 PM. Reason: Triple post merge
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                X