This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
    Halloween is NOT a holiday in the way that Thanksgiving & Christmas is.
    does... does that mean... that.... that the Great Pumpkin isn't.... isn't... real?

If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Here, the kids go out on Halloween, no matter what day it falls on.

In years past, if Halloween fell on a weekend, the local malls would have their own version of Trick or Treat in the afternoon. Because Halloween was a Friday this year, the malls held their Trick or Treats on the 26th of October.

I like the idea of the Malls participating 'cos it does make for a safe, warm environment.

My daughter just trick or treated the neighbors that my mom knows. She had a good time though.

Comment

Quoth bright_star
        Halloween is NOT a holiday in the way that Thanksgiving & Christmas is.
        What about the Harvest celebrations, Samhain, or All Hallows?

I know our version of Halloween is pretty much bastardized... but it's got good roots...
        Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
          People Trick or Treat ON Halloween.
          Quoted for truth. The only time Halloween isn't celebrated (or is rarely participated in) is when it lands on a Sunday. Pickings will be slim but hey, it's still generally worth it.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth SnarkyPie View Post
            I was confused, because we actually got two sets of trick-or-treaters where I live tonight. It is Halloween and all, but we are a DORM. It looks like a house, but it is clearly in University housing territory, and has a big "_____ House" sign on the front like all the other DORMS. Luckily, there were a few of us sitting down in the common room eating candy that my relatives had sent to me, so we passed out some to the kids.
            ONe year the dorms opened to be safe trick or treat places- you got a pumpkin sign to display if you were playing. That year I was Sister Mary Butch the Biker nun.

Comment

There are a few little towns around here who did trick-or-treat on Thursday night instead of Friday. Mainly places whose entire lives revolve around their HS football teams, who had playoff games on Friday. Jackpot for kids who could convince their parents to take them out twice.

Comment

My town is very weird, if Halloween falls during the week, they will have trick or treating on the last Friday of the month. This year, we actually got to trick or treat right on Halloween.

Where I grew up, trick or treating was always done on Halloween, no matter what day it fell on.
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Something I just found out is that Finland traditionally puts Halloween, All Saint's Day and All Souls Day together on the first Saturday from the 31st of October (ie. this year it's today).

I haven't seen any trick-or-treaters yet - being in an apartment block I'm not terribly likely to - but the supermarkets all closed even earlier than usual for a Saturday.

Comment

We always did trick or treating on halloween, and not at any particular tme either.

The younger kids went out late afternoon, and the older kids went out from the time it got dark till about 10pm usually (That's when people would start going to bed).

However, there were a few houses you could go to up until midnight

There was only 2 houses that didn't give out candy. One was because of religious reasons, and the other was because the lady that lived there was a .
                    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

People here still do trick-or-treating on Halloween, no matter what day it falls on. Even then, there are a few people who don't celebrate it if it falls on Sunday for religious reasons, but they are a minority in my area and their lights are off on that day.

Comment

In my area, trick-or-treating was always on Halloween day.

Although, this year, I heard on the news that one town somewhere around here was trying to move it to Saturday (Nov 1st). They interviewed a lot of people on the news complaining. I don't know if the town actually went through with it or not.

Comment

Round here, it's always on Halloween. This year I had just two lots of kiddies; 2 in one lot and 3 in the other, leaving me with a yummy bagful of Halloween candy to eat.

The only thing would be, when I was a kiddie, that if Halloween fell on a school night, we had to be back home by 9:30 at the latest. Otherwise, it didn't matter. No, none of us were ever murdered or abducted; then again, I grew up in a village.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

And around here, it's always the day before. No idea why, unless they didn't want beggar's night to interfere with grown-up celebrations. (Given the area, I don't think it's for religious reasons.)

Comment

The idea of trick or treating on a day that isn't Halloween disturbs me. It doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't matter if it's on a Sunday, a Tuesday, or a Friday, that's the day you go out. If it isn't Halloween, there's no reason you should expect people to have candy ready.
                              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Question - I'm still trying to figure out why people take out their wee itty bitty little 'uns.

Some of the people who were in our neighbourhood on Friday certainly didn't live in the area (we know mostly everyone, including those who have relatives with babies that only visit during the other holidays). Since I don't have kids myself, and those I know who do have kids wouldn't take their babies out after 6:00, is it just a candy grab?

On the plus side - I was totally amazed and happy to see there all the incredibly carved pumpkins that were out on Friday night on porches, stoops and driveways were still there on Saturday morning. Especially considering the amount of teens in our area! There is hope yet! And - wow - were there a lot of great looking pumpkins this year!

Another plus! This week in the mall at our office, office tenants of the mall get 10% off at the Shoppers Drug Mart! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! 10% off on sweets for us!

Just the perfect size for keeping at my desk. Now I just have to figure out to hide them from the witches in my office that take total advantage of my niceness and scoop 'em all before everyone else!

I'm thinking I'll resend the warning sent out regarding a recall of chocolates that were found to have food poisening possibilities and sent for destruction in 2006 in our area and are now showing up at certain stores again after having been stolen.

No one in my office ever reads emails completely anyway, so they wouldn't know that it only pertains to large size bars by a completely different maker. However, that leaves me with getting emails from the witches that I'm trying to poisen everyone in the office by having these chocolates out. Lose - lose no matter which way I turn. I think I'll just bring 'em home for the hubby and me.

One day closer to retirement!
                                No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Working...
                                X