Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I see, I need to look for the ++ signs. Thanks. I think my office job computer is fairly new so it's probably got that version.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

N++ is an outside program for Windows, so it's unlikely to come pre-installed. It is, however, open-source and legally free, under the GPL. I highly recommend it. It's intended to be a reasonably robust source code editor, complete with automatic color-coding, but it works really well for plain text documents, as well.

Side note: Windows still comes with Notepad (classic) and WordPad -- type "wordpad" into the bar on the start menu or just run "write.exe" to get to it
      Liked, commented, and subscribed to this channel.
      My empire grows
      Last edited by EricKei; 02-20-2017, 11:59 AM. Reason: rearranged some text for clarity
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord ā€“ Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Textedit is the mac equivalent of Notepad if that helps.

I used to have a version of MS Office for Mac, I think the 2011 edition?

Haven't used it for years, not sure it'd still work. I use Pages and Numbers now, syncs well with my phone/iPad.

I use Windows for gaming, and OS X for most everything else.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Sure you can shoot it, but at WHAT? That's the real question!
          Oh I have soo many choices.

Quoth EricKei View Post
          *spits* Yeyyyup, today out here at Rosco's Shoot 'n Scoot, we got us a new toy: A brand-new prototype system launcher right offa' tha' FlyByNight Industries assembly line. We like ta' calls it "The Callahan Full-Bore Mac Attacker." It's got an effective range of 500 feet,!
          If I ever open my own range I have an name for it now.

500ft shee-it I'm good to 600yards.

Or make it go boom
          Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 02-20-2017, 10:56 PM.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. Iā€™m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Rosco -- Well, yeah, but I meant when using Mac Minis as ammo, rather than as targets. Can't imagine they're as aerodynamic as Apple would like folks to think.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord ā€“ Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              Actually, what I wanted to ask is whether anybody knows where I can get older versions of OSX. I recently upgraded to OS Sierra (v. 10.12.3, if it matters) and it has been a major PITA ever since (computer itself is around 7 years old). It now runs incredibly slowly; if I have to reboot I might as well go out for supper while I'm waiting for it to come back up. And even once it's rebooted, when I try to get Google to launch ... I might as well go back to the restaurant for a nice dessert and coffee.

I'm assuming the new OS is the problem. Or is my little Mac mini just nearing the end of its life? Should I be saving up (possibly very very quickly) for a replacement?
              Does Disk Utility show any issues? I had a first generation Mini eat its hard drive, and an old Mac laptop we have has eaten two of them. I suspect heat being the issue as Apple doesn't like fans, and they pack things tightly in their systems. Aside from that, memory can be an issue, at least in the old days, that was one of the corners they cut to make prices lower. Unfortunately fixing either of those issues in a mini is a pain as its 21 steps just to remove the hard drive. I've done it, and vowed never to do it again.

So, if its the OS, what to do? Well, you have two choices if its an Intel Mac.If you're not sure, use about make to check what processor it has, if its a PowerPC processor, then OS X is your only option really. If it is, you have the option of installing Linux if you want to. Having moved to PC hardware and Linux, I can tell you that its easy enough to use, and works fine for basic stuff. Gaming and artwork, iffy, from what I understand, good, but not the best solution in these areas, but I've no experience with those. If you decide to go this route, PM me here or pounce me on Telegram (@Taur10) if you need help or want suggestions.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

My one cat regards mine as his own personal bun-warmer.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                X