Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little hypersensitivity from the mods.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the rules, too...

This is the first and only online community I have joined and consistently visit/share my thoughts with. I have read comments in other online forums and people get downright nasty- needless to say, I never signed up on those boards.

Fratching was created specifically for the controversial debate, so I don't mind being told to take comments there. That's what it was created for. (Although, mostly, I try to stay away from making comments that are 'questionable' under the rules- which I read when I first signed up, and will check again if changes are noted)

I mean, hell, I've had people disagree with things I've said. Sometimes, people jump to conclusions. But I know that mostly, tone can't be derived from written words. And sometimes, misunderstandings happen. If something like that occurs, I just agree to disagree, or don't respond (or at least not emotionally). No point getting upset with one another. We're all here to support one another, but once in awhile, we are going to butt heads. Better to let it go than start a full blown argument (I don't mean we can't offer differing viewpoints, but no point in getting out of hand with it- just back off if you feel that you can't keep it civil)

I am grateful that our Mods are here to enforce these things. I LIKE that there are no flame wars and that someone is there to look out and prevent them. I LIKE bragging to my BF (who teases me about my online geek-fest) that no, there really AREN'T nasty people here.
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Very rarely have I noticed a mod being "touchy" and sometimes topics go south for awhile before a mod notices, but i can totally understand them heading something off before it does go to hell.

As an admin of my own board and a mod at several other boards, it is impossible for every mod to be around all the time to stop a thread. Sometimes a mod can go to bed, wake up check the board and realize that overnight, all hell has broken loose.

it's easiest to post a warning BEFORe that happens than to "wait and see" and then get the hurt feelings and snarping about that thread for 3 weeks later.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
        it's easiest to post a warning BEFORe that happens than to "wait and see" and then get the hurt feelings and snarping about that thread for 3 weeks later.
        I kind of agree with all sides here.

For the most part, the mods do a good job. But I have seen a couple of threads closed for no reason just because a mod "got a feeling" or "wanted to head it off" before it went bad . . . no warning or anything. People would be playing nice and suddenly not be able to play anymore. That's my only beef. As for the rest of it . . . Raps' mods really are better than your mods!
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
          I have seen a couple of threads closed for no reason just because a mod "got a feeling" or "wanted to head it off" before it went bad . . . no warning or anything. People would be playing nice and suddenly not be able to play anymore.
          Again...I understand that side of things as well.

The mods have been around here for a long time, (that's why they were chosen as mods), and they have seen a lot of threads.

You know that old saying, "When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck."
          Well, when we see a thread that has a certain topic, and certain people begin posting in it, and certain comments are made, then we can pretty much tell which road that thread is going to go down.

Just because you are playing nice, that doesn't mean that everyone else will, and from experience, we know that there will inevitably be a member who is going to step in and grab the matches and the gasoline and start the fun.

There are just some topics that end up in controversy no matter how much leeway we give the thread.

You may not like it, and that may give the impression that we are hyper vigilant, hypersensitive, and overreacting, but that's how we keep this site as one of the highest quality forums on the internet, in my opinion.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I made this post a few weeks ago:
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...22&postcount=1

I stand by what I said. I can't believe how atrociously people treat eachother on other boards. I've seen people called all sorts of names and utterly ripped apart just for asking a simple question! Half (or more) of the questions posted in OT here would meet with a firey end on some of those boards.

I've wondered why they even had people called "Moderators". Those people didn't moderate ANYTHING! They were just as spiteful, rude, obnoxious, etc. as the other members. It's more of a, "I'm one of the cool kids 'cause I got the word Mod under my name. If you ain't part of my clique though- watch out!" deals.

If that's what you want then please- feel free to join those boards. Have fun.

And once they've ripped you open and bled you dry- feel free to come on back here where we actually give a damn about our members.
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

A small story from awhile ago. Back when the first message board I joined was a women in rock message board back in '03 it was a great place to post. However sometime in the middle of that year the board changed owners and the Mods became non-existent. Literal chaos followed, posters got snippy and angry, and without someone to keep an eye on things the board became unpleasant. The last two threads I posted in I degenerated quickly into flame wars. I eventually stopped posting there.

I'd rather have a Mod close a thread that has the potential to become nasty than to be afraid of what I type. It's also awesome that there is a board like Fratching to go to if you more intense things to discuss. I like this board because I've seen how badly an unmoderated board can disintegrate.

Out of interest I checked that site again a couple of years later they no longer had a message board, wonder why?
              Last edited by TruthHurts; 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM.
              My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I've visited various forums and this forum and a music forum I frequent are polite. The music forum admins don't take to kindly to insulting others and they'll ban you on the spot if you so much insult someone because of a question they asked. Visit the BigSoccer forums to see how spoiled we are. I've seen mods AND admins insult others and to tell you the truth it's quite funny.

As for the debates subject, I think this picture runs through the mods heads to explain that some subjects just aren't for CS and better suited for Fratching.

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Well to add my say on this. I am quite happy with the way this place is run as well as Fratching.

I'm opinionated, brusk and dont always say thigns in a diplomatic or calm way. (ie I'm plain spoken and not much for fancy words. However I can restain myself to play within the rules and not attack others personally and I can feel comfortable that others will not attack me personally regardless of how much they may dislike me or my words. Barring that restraint I can be comfortable in the moderators stopping anything before it turns into an ugly drawn out flame feud like has been on other sites.

I've been a member of several other discussion groups. They either turn into a bunch of whiny losers all going me too with whats the popular opinion of the board leaders with the moderators there to enforce the popular opinion and punish anyone who isnt sheep enough to go with the flow. I was banned from one of these for daring to disagree with a moderator in his opinion and speakign out against his using his moderatorial powers to win a political disagreement.

Either that or they turn into one big anarchic free for all with flame wars and vendettas springing up days weeks and months after the embers where thought cool and a verbal shoot out happening at the drop of a period. I ran away fom one of those that was about RPGs. Stupid stuff as to whether elves had short pointed ears or long pointed ears would turn into arguments about the sexual orientation, skin color or parental validaty of the posters!?

Here and Fratching have established a nice healthy balance between people speakign thier minds and people loosing their minds. The moderators are not playing favorites, using their powers to "win" disagreements or otherwise doign anything other than their job title says they should be doing: Moderating the discussions to ensure they do not go too far off topic or into personal issues they shouldnt. They give you enough rope to hang yourself and if you stop before you pull the knot tight then great if not they'll help hold the rope in place for ya.

About the concerns of the OP. Yeah occasionally the moderators may gently remind folks that there are people who are of different jobs or different faiths/races or orientations and we should be careful of our words (I am guilty of sometimes using a big brush when discussing religion) but thats just common decency. If you mean to insult someone then fine go and do it outside of here as this is a quasi public space owned and operated by rapscallion and enforced by his staff of Moderators who don't want or welcome that.

Anyhow I like the way the mods here do their job. Its quiet, its efficient and its unobstructive.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with the majority here as well.
                    I've been a member of a couple of forums in the past, and this place is one of the
                    few where (nearly) everyone gets along well... From what I've seen. I know that there will always be some people that won't get along with one another, but even when that happens here, it's been civil for the most part.

As for 'hypersensitivity.... I've not personally seen any occurances of that... But then, I haven't really been thinking about it. The rules here seem pretty fair to me, and the mods seem rather even handed with them. That, and the respect everyone here has, even if one person may not particularly like another for whatever reason, keeps things calm.

Basically, this is the most civil forum I've been a part of.
                    3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                    - Order from the menu.
                    - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                    - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Just my two cents.

This kind of hits a nerve to me. I'm sure it's not your intention, but the way this post was written sure could be taken as the "wink wink, nudge nudge, it's OK to be racist cause everyone does it"
                      Haven't read through the whole thread but just a quick blast from the past - in one of the board's previous incarnations a few people developed the use of the word "purple" as a substitute for blacks. Seemed innocuous at first, but within a few days it was snide, and then downright hateful. (I'm not even going to bother with quotes here, but in thinking about it, I'm reminded of how often the "purple" euphemism was in close proximity to the phrase "of course..."
                      That said, I am fairly satisfied that Raps and the mods seem to be "erring" on the side of caution and fairness to all rather than blanket free speech. Treading the line of a publicly accessible, private publication (which is what most forums are) is a tough one.

Comment

Total agreement with those who have pointed out that this is one of the nicest boards on the internet. Even before I became an admin or even a mod, I was impressed with how well most of the people got along. Sure there's the occasional individual who can't get along or obey the reasonable rules, but for the most part, this is a very civil community.

For those who might think that a completely unmoderated board would be great, I have seen the horror that is an unmoderated board. Before I discovered CS, my favorite hangout was a board where people vented about telemarketers, of all things. I made a few friends there that I still correspond with from time to time.

Unfortunately, the owner decided to leave it completely unmoderated, which led to it being spammed, flooded, trolled, and even people impersonating other members. The few of us regulars practically begged the owner to appoint moderators, and even offered to be said moderators. Sadly, he ended up pulling the plug on the whole thing.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Yeah, I love this site, and try to follow rules, but even I get a warning every now and then, and I listen, cause this is a FREE messageboard, where as Raps pays. (I'd wish there was a donation thing somewhere). A small, very easy list of rules to follow is no big deal.

Matter of fact, my favorite thing that happened here was seeing a member banned. (First time I ever saw it anywhere) cause he was a dick. He did a post about being drunk and how his girlfriend was a blah blah. Mr. Slugger posted a message saying Bye <So and So> Not nice knowing you.

I remembered I was in shocked cause the guy just joined a week or so before! It was awsome cause he was a jackbutthole! Made me realized how much the admins and mods care about this messageboard.
                          Military Spouse Support.
                          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                            A small, very easy list of rules to follow is no big deal.
                            Ah, but that's the thing. It's not just a small list. It's a goddamn index if you ask me. Honestly, the FBI probably has less rules than this website.
                            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                              Ah, but that's the thing. It's not just a small list. It's a goddamn index if you ask me. Honestly, the FBI probably has less rules than this website.
                              It would be nice if a simple "Respect your fellow members and don't start crap" would suffice. But I can't imagine Raps and the mods compiled a comprehensive list of rules for the sake of personal amusement. They obviously discovered it was necessary.

I'll be honest - I only gave the site rules a cursory glance when I signed up, and only to make sure there was nothing insane in there, like "By clicking OK you agree to give Rapscallion your first-born". It wasn't until a few months later that I took a good look at the site rules.

But I had never had any problems getting along here anyway, because I conduct myself here as I do in real-life. For example, I do not start discussions about controversial topics with random acquaintances, especially when I don't know anything about their religious, racial, or political persuasions. Its just bound to get messy.

More importantly, this is a board about working in customer service. I love a good political debate...I'm a very active member of Fratching. But frankly, its the last thing I want to see here. Here, I get a a good rant off my chest, get a good laugh, and get to unwind with people who know exactly where I'm coming from.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

speaking of everyone getting along.......Where are the trolls?? I kinda miss the trolls. They were entertainment at least :P

Comment

Working...
                                X