Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College, Moving, Mail...Eviction? (bit long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth South Texan View Post
    To this day I get mail for my grandfather who died in 1989!
    Up until my grandmother sold her house...we were still getting Grandpa's mail. He's been dead nearly 20 years!
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      Under the British system, if it has an address on it and will (easily) fit through the letterbox, it just goes in. If it won't fit, the postman rings the doorbell. If there's no answer... *then* a please-collect-it notice gets posted. British postmen typically don't pay attention to the name on the envelope, that's for the resident to sort out.
      I actually prefer that the postman doesn't pay attention to the name.

I had one that REFUSED to just go by the address, and sorted all the mail by last name.

The problem was, that there were TWO people who had the SAME last name as me,
      one was a college guy around my age, so we could have been confused for each other, BUT lived in a completely different building!. The other person with my last name lived RIGHT NEXT DOOR... however, SHE was middle aged woman!

I got to meet both of them, I met the lady next door, about once a week for a year to hand her usually around 2 -3 pieces of mail. (One of which was her TAX RETURN).

I met the other guy, when I had to walk over to his apartment, to give him his Living Expenses Check!, worth about $8000!

I did go up to the mailman and explain what he was doin, and that he NEEDS to go by the ADDRESS... but he never did.
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
        I did go up to the mailman and explain what he was doin, and that he NEEDS to go by the ADDRESS... but he never did.
        What a twitwidget. It makes me want to just thinking about it.
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----
        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
          *snip* While I also am not clear why anyone would hold back multiple deliveries for a specific address (as sometimes people do move into structures that have been vacant for some time), *snips*
          Had to respond, the reason why I didn't want to start leaving mail was because there was never anyone there. There wasn't a trash barrel dropped off by the garbage men the signs from the electrical company saying they had been out was on the front door for a week before it just disappeared. I honestly didn't know what was going on with the house and didn't want to leave important looking items at the house. For all I knew the houses owner could have been doing remodel work and the stuff I was getting was a old mailing list that surfaced.

Smiley, what can I say I was trained by a guy on a apartment route. You ALWAYS read the names in the boxes for that one. So it stuck.

South Texan and Protege, there is a list out there sponsored by the USPS that sell deceased names out. Basically it tells list owners that those people are never going to need their services. I'm not sure how to get at it because it was getting revamped on the site but I know it's there somewhere.

Lingering, I'm sorry you have a idiot.
          Last edited by Broomjockey; 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM. Reason: consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
            B) Package says 123 Any Street, they live there, you don't deliver it because you think it's vacant
            I had this happen to me.

I was living in a dorm and for some reason all mail sent to me was returned to sender. I couldn't figure out why. I verified the address with both the post office and university. They had no idea what was going on. Eventually after a couple months of this, I finally figured out what the problem was.

The post office delivered the mail to the university dorms. The university then had people working in the dorms who would sort it out to individual rooms.

The person sorting the mail in my dorm was an idiot. He/she continually failed to read my name properly, and was looking for my name under "S" when it actually starts with "V". Why, I haven't a clue. The letters were all addressed with the room number, but that person only went by the name the letter was addressed to, completely ignoring the room number part. That idiot was the one who kept marking all of my mail return to sender and sending it back. I missed more than a few important things in the mail during that period.

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
              Obviously being responsible was something their parents took care of.
              I'm surprised one of them didn't call their parents!

Out of FOUR girls not one of them knew how to be responsible. *shudder*
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                Out of FOUR girls not one of them knew how to be responsible. *shudder*
                There's a good chance these four knew each other beforehand, and have similar personalities/upbringings. Birds of a feather, and all that.

Comment

Working...
                X