Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bad part about working in death...

...you can't kick the crap out of grieving relatives the way you could out of ordinary customers. I mean, you COULD, and maybe even SHOULD in some cases, but in all honesty, we all know who would get painted with the asshole brush in that kind of exchange.

I write free obituaries. Now, except for rare cases, these free obits have to come to us from a funeral home so that we know that the person we're getting actually existed and is dead (we get way too many pranksters trying to sneak in fake "I.C. Weiner" obits otherwise). And basically, so far as the obit, he who pays, plays...so the person handling the arrangements for the funeral home gets to dictate the free obit. See, the thing is, nothing shows off the ugly, nasty parts of a family quite like a death in it. The best way we figured out to keep from getting dragged into the middle of it was to institute this policy for our free format. (Nothing stops the other members of the family from taking out ad space to run their obit, if they're really that set on it.)

So, incidentally, when a change needs to get made to the obit, we have to hear it through the funeral home. Any old human can call and say "I'm the mother of ____, and this needs to be changed." Granted, this is mostly to cover our own asses, but it's also for the protection of the family who put in the obit. No one wants to spend their time constructing one of these and have somebody else swoop in and undercut them. And since the funeral home knows who's paying and who's the family, and I don't, I let them run interference. They're good at it.

Sometimes, like just now, you get one who just can't grasp that. A woman called me regarding a teenager's obituary, saying she was the mother and they had a change that needed to be made. Now, I don't know this woman from a hole in the ground, so I tell her what she needs to do (very politely, this is a grieving woman after all, if she is who she says she is).

You'd think I had done something most heinous.

Her: "This is my daughter, I wrote this! I just need this correction made!"
    Me: "Yes ma'am, I understand that, but you need to contact the funeral home and have the correction made through them because-,"
    Her: "But I'm her mother! I wrote this!"
    Me: "Yes ma'am, but you have to go through the funeral home to make a correction be-,"
    Her: "I'M THE MOTHER." (Irritated human side-note, she's actually the stepmother, but I know stepmoms can be just like real moms. I was just thinking a little bit hateful of her at this point and my brain was being spiteful.)
    Me: "Yes ma'am, but it's a concern of our's-,"
    Her: "I WROTE THIS!"
    Me: "Is this going to be a paid obituary?" (Paid obits don't have to come through a funeral home...so long as we get paid and it's not illegal, we don't care who puts what.)
    Her: "No, it's free!"
    Me: "Okay, well...for the free ones, we need to get any clarification through the funeral home because-,"
    Her: "GOD!"
    Me: "-otherwise anyone could call in and say they were a relative and try to make changes to an obituary, so-,"
    Her: "So you're saying I'm a liar!"
    Me: I'm not saying you're a liar, but you do have to go through the funeral home-,"
    Her: "I AM HER MOTHER!"
    Me: "Ma'am-,"
    Her: "I WROTE IT!"
    Me: "And you just need to call the funeral home and have them contact us with the correction. It would probably only require a phone call."
    Her: "I don't be-LIEVE this!"
    Me: ......(seriously, don't know what to say at this point...can't make it any clearer.)
    Her: "I am her mother!"
    Me: "And I'll need you to go through the funeral home so that we know-,"
    Her: *super-sarcastic* "THANK YOU!" *hangs up*

The thing is, my customers are usually grieving relatives and it's not nice to pulverize them no matter how badly they deserve it...

I get a call a little while later from a lady downstairs, who has this same mother on her phone trying the same thing. We confer and I let downstairs lady know the obituary is free and repeat to her our policy so she can tell the mother, then we hang up. I don't know how long the mother kept calling around to people downstairs or wherever, but it was about half an hour later and actually AFTER deadline that the funeral home called me and let me know the family had JUST gotten back to them about the correction. The woman could have finished with me, called the funeral home, and had this all done within like, three minutes, but drug things out ten times longer calling a bunch of people who had no idea what to do, all because I dared to ask her to do something to protect herself and her daughter's obituary. *le sigh*
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

"After deadline?" Please tell us it was too late to make the correction and it wasn't made!

Comment

Yes. Please do! It'd be all she deserved.
      My Wajas cave

Comment

I can see Alan Ball writing a show about your job for HBO.
        Check out my cosplay social group!
        http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

WHY do people make things so much harder than they have to be? Is it really so much better to spend an hour whining than 5 minutes actually FIXING the problem?

Kinda OT, kinda not: Once you knew she was step-mom, you should have told her to have child's father call the funeral home to make any changes, and that you could not discuss the issue with her any longer. Being a step-mom, I know for a fact that step-parents can and do love/grieve as much as bio-parents, but some things just aren't ours to deal with.
          MySpace

Comment

WHY do people make things so much harder than they have to be? Is it really so much better to spend an hour whining than 5 minutes actually FIXING the problem?
            One of god's mysteries.

Comment

Quoth KnitShoni View Post
              Esp when fixing it *then* whining at length is much more satisfying and martyr-tastic....

Comment

I am not defending the mother at all. But when you have lost a loved one, you aren't at your best, and that's an understatement of huge proportions. And I understand that folks who work at nespapers are busy.

Lastly I guess it would have been impossible for the employee of the newspaper to take down the info, pass it on to the funeral home and just handle it with a minimum of fuss?

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                  Lastly I guess it would have been impossible for the employee of the newspaper to take down the info, pass it on to the funeral home and just handle it with a minimum of fuss?
                  Sounds like a plan, but I guess the rules aren't there for nothing. I mean, I think by doing that it makes the newspaper folks a bit too involved if they have to do that extra work. I'm not sure though, you could be right.

Though the rules as they are now seem to be perfect. If someone calls in, whirls up a good story, but isn't the relative, or if the newspaper employee makes the change by calling the funeral home, think of the mess both employee and funeral home will be in. You know, no good deed goes unpunished. Even with the most noble and chivalrous mind set possible.

Rules for those things are to be followed at all times, simply because they are grieving relatives and can say or do things because of emotions (and of course to keep the idiots away). In that case it really helps the employee to know his or her ass is covered. Doesn't sound like the easiest of jobs though.

Comment

This post made me pull these gems back up My favorite obits ever.

http://citymama.typepad.com/citymama...st_obitua.html
                    http://casperstartribune.net/article...c4007aa6d2.txt

There was a third one, but I can't find it any more
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I can't believe that went on as long as it did! My company allows free obits to be put in our things (we store them forever basically) - but only allow funeral homes to enter it. And we even require funeral homes to confirm they are who they say they are (by phone, mail, website if they have one, and records as found online).

At least most of the people asking why we don't have a memorial up understand why on the first e-mail why we don't allow families to enter, edit or have anything to do with memorials.

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                        As they'd be passing it to the funeral home, to pass it on to the newspaper, that seems like more fuss, especially as the funeral home likely wouldn't accept the change coming from someone who isn't family, and is just saying they got it from them.

Remember the flow goes: Family --> Funeral Home --> Newspaper
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                          This post made me pull these gems back up My favorite obits ever.
                          In lieu of flowers, he asks that you make a sizeable purchase at your favorite watering hole, get rip roaring drunk and tell the stories he no longer can

I love it!

The only struggle I've ever encountered with obits was when my Grandmother passed away. The paper was refusing to list the names of her great-grandchildren....so my cousin (who was handling that particular task) made them all honorary pallbearers. She loved her grandkids and great-grandkids, and would've wanted them all to be listed.
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                          X