Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It doesn't have to hurt or bruise to work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't have to hurt or bruise to work.

So that may seem a strange title, but it may make more sense when I say I was working in a student massage clinic when this happened.

So, some background for those of you who've not had a massage, the SOP is you go into reception and fill out a medical form, it's then brought to me and I take a couple of minutes to go over it, basically so I can see if there are any contraindications or areas that might need more attention, I then come out and get you and take you to the cubicle I'm working in. I then go over your form with you, this is important because if you've forgotten something it can have serious repercussions, I then tell them what modalities I do and ask them what they want, I'll then give them a brief treatment plan and tell them I'll step out while they get undressed and on the table under the top towel, and just give me a call when they're ready. Once they're on the table I move the towl so that their whole body is draped, only the part of the body I'm working on is exposed and is covered up again once I'm done, unless they're hot in which case I'll leave parts uncovered. (temperature wise, not looks, get your minds out of the gutters. )

Now background for the scene and the SC, it's 4:30pm about this time I should be getting the medical form, all other students who have clients have theirs and are working, I figure mine isn't turning up, which I'm happy about as I've just done 3 full body massages and I'm tired and in need of a massage myself. Well 4:45 come around (did I mention that I pissed off some deity years ago and I've been paying for it since?) Well *nameless deity* decides it's time to pay again, out comes receptionist with a medical form (bugger) I look at it and, uh-oh, I recognise the name, it's SC, now SC has a reputation, she always get here 15 minutes late, expects to get her full hour massage, so not going to happen.

Me= the close to homicidal massage therapist
    SC= the evil one who should realise it's easy to be killed when one is naked lying prone ahem, evil woman
    italics my thoughts

Me: Hi I'm Nyoibo if you want to come through you're in the second cubicle on the right
    SC:... *brushes past*
    Me: oh goodie, So, by your treatment form you've been here a few time so you know the drill, my modalities are relaxation and Myofascial release, so what were you looking for today?
    SC: (in loud conversation voice) Work on the traps, lumbar, glutes and maybe thighs, calves and feet, and then maybe some work on the arms and quads.
    *it should be noted there are 6 other clients in the room with only a curtain dividing the cubicles, and all others are 15-20 minutes into their session, she knows this and refuses to speak quietly to not disturb people*
    Me: yeah right, we're 25 minutes into the sessions, no way you're getting all of that in the time left, Well there's not much time, so which area's giving you the most problems and work from there down?
    SC: Traps, glutes and calves, and if there's time feet and quads.
    Me: Ok, I'll just step out while you get undressed and under the towel, give me a call when you're ready.
    *I step out and wait for a few minutes, check under the curtain to see if there are feet on the ground, nope*
    Me: are you good to go?
    SC: snarkily, yes, I have been for a couple of minutes
    Me: Then why didn't you say some thing twitOk, let's get started.
    *So there's not much talking for a bit, except when I'm draping and moving the towel, SC is moving it after me, uncovering herself and making my life a pain, this comes into play later, as does what follows.*

*after moving from traps to glutes and working on them for a couple of minutes*
    SC: *In loud voice* Actually, can you work on the lumbar area?
    Me: Yup, I can do that Now shut the hell up
    SC: Can you go harder, I need it really hard for it to do any good
    Me: No you don't Yes, I can go harder
    *After doing Glutes and then lumbar area and calves, like she wanted*
    SC: Can you do the thighs now?
    Me: Yes Would have been easier if you'd asked that while I was up there
    *After I'm done with the thighs*
    SC: oh well, there's only 5 minutes felt, you can just to my feet
    Me: Oh can I, can I really? Oh happy days Ok.
    *Once it's all done*
    Me: Ok, I'll just head out and get you a glass of water while you get dressed and wait for you to come out.

I then proceed to wait 5 minutes thinking she's getting dressed only to find that she's waiting on the bed for me to bring her the water before she even gets up, all the other cubicles are packed up and curtains are drawn back, she knows that clinic finishes at 5:30, it's now 5:45 and she's still taking her time, not caring that she's inconveniencing 12 people.

Now for the good part, the feedback form, her comments complaints

"Wasn't properly draped, was left uncovered in places" And the fact you kept moving the towel, to the point where you pulled the damn thing right off had no bearing on that now did it?

"Pressure was only about a 1/3rd of what I need to have effect" Lady, not only did you not say the pressure was not hard enough after I changed it, harder is not always better, and I've made a semi-professional Rugby player squirm on the table, if I used 3 times the pressure I'd be bruising muscle and damaging tendons

My personal favorite
    "Needs to develop better planning, was moving around fromplace to place without continuity" Well if you hadn't have changed your mind on what you wanted done every 5 minutes and told me at the start I'd have gone fluidly through the areas

"Session was too short" You turn up at 4:45 minutes , knowing your session starts at 4:30 and we finish at 5:25, waste more time not telling me you're ready and expect to get a full 50 minutes?

Now, as a student clinic, you don't get expert class massages, and you only pay $25 a session, expecting what she expects she should go to a fully qualified therapist, but I'd love to see how long one would keep her on the books with her attitude and respect that she shows.

(Side note, I've just spent about an hour writing this, so of it loses coherence at the end, please forgive me, it's late and I haven't slept for a long time)
    If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

ugh i feel your pain...

I was once in your position...

then again I got a full compliment from someone who had been in the business for 20+ years...

"Sarlon has the best natural talent and inner confidence that has the makings of a great massuse. she needs some works in certain areas, but has a great sense that seems to know without being told where the work needs to be done."
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Dang. Your student clinic is $10 cheaper than ours. I need to call them up now.....
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

(temperature wise, not looks, get your minds out of the gutters. )
        lol that's exactly what i was thinking.

dang 25 bucks for that amount of service? that's an amazing bargain!

That's just a little less than what they charge at the malls in Virginia Beach for the (clothes on) quickie massages - like the "water massage" or the Chinese massage.

Comment

The reason it's cheap is because we're all students, you have to log a certain amount of supervised clinic hours to get your qualification, hence the cheapness.
          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

There's a college in the town over from me that charges $25/30 min (a "session")!

Comment

Ah, I've never had a massage, so if you'd like someone to perform additional training on...

Just out of curiosity, do students get tips? I thought professionals did, so I was just curious.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Tipping is not a big thing in Australia, mostly because we get paid industry standard wages and in theory don't need to make up our wage from tipping, but some people do.

That being said, as it's a student clinic run through the institute we students don't see any money for it.

Comment

get your minds out of the gutters.
                  When you've been around here a while you'll learn that most of us live down here...

One Christmas when I was still working in the store my mom got me a reflexology massage. They did a salt scrub and massage from the knees down, concentrating on the feet, then rubbed in some really rich cream. Oh, that felt soooo good and my skin was so soft. One of these days I'll go for a regular massage. Never done that before.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

When you've been around here a while you'll learn that most of us live down here...
                    Oh, it's ok, I live there too, but just thought I'd clarify it for others that I don't leave attractive customers uncovered just to look at...... much.

I kid, I kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X