This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
    If they don't want to buy a full copy of Office, tell them to buy Microsoft Works.
    Similar functionality (although not as robust) but cheaper.
    Microsoft stopped developing Works a long time ago....

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
      Microsoft stopped developing Works a long time ago....
      The latest version is 9.0. The copyright date is 2009. I bought a copy last year for about $12.00 delivered.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Wow, my bad. I didn't realize MS cut off Works.

Thanks for letting me know though!
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I would rather use open office than works, because Well I don't think even works can read word documents, and then you have their weird format, if I'm gonna have an imposter of word. might as well have a free one that actually works and I can install on any machine I want with no legal issues.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
            I would rather use open office than works, because Well I don't think even works can read word documents, and then you have their weird format, if I'm gonna have an imposter of word. might as well have a free one that actually works and I can install on any machine I want with no legal issues.
            Hubby has Works (it came with his laptop several years ago). The Word portion of it reads word documents just like a full version of Word, and saves in the standard .doc format. It's version of Excel saves in a different file format, but will still read regular Excel files and is readable by both regular Excel and OpenOffice.org Calc.

I will say that one perk for OpenOffice that Word/Works doesn't have on it is its convenient file reading. Back when all we had was Works and all my sister had was Word 2007 (I think), I couldn't read the .docx files from her without having to download and install/run a conversion tool. OpenOffice, on the other hand, can handle .docx just fine, thank goodness.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
              As I said earlier, I have the latest vesion of Works, 9.0. It opens Word files just fine, even the *.docx format of Word 2007. And it will also save in that format.

I still use Word 2007 form all my word processing. Mostly I use Works for the database part.

For me the down side is that Works will no longer open up any kind of file. Much earlier versions of Works would open any file type without complaint, even *.exe and various data files. I found it to be very useful for snooping around some computer game files. Fortunately, Notepad serves the same purpose, as does Wordpad.
              Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 07-10-2011, 07:16 PM.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X