X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick? Nah, not ME...

Oh. Wait. I am. Oops.

I've been feeling cruddy for a couple days. Nothing big, just a sore throat, sinus issues, and a headache. Could be allergies, could be a cold, meh, whatever.

Went into work today, only to be told I "look like crap and should go home."

Bwuah? I don't go home when I'm sick. I plant myself in an out-of-the-way place and huddle, but I don't go home!

Luckily, Boss' Wife isn't so easily swayed. She put her foot down and made all the arrangements. I'm home for a few hours (yay for living a block away from work) to rest and hopefully feel better enough to come in and help with rush hour/closing.

And if not, well, then she was right, and I shouldn't go in today. Hell, the moment I collapsed on the couch, I felt it. I'm not overly symptomatic, but I am sick.

At least I can get some uninterrupted time for website documentation. Need to make sure everyone knows how to use the new admin panel.

I recently had the flu or something. I was feeling under the weather, and went into work anyway. Two hours later, I was calling Hubs to come get me, since I didn't trust myself to drive home, I was so dizzy. I made him take me to the bank drive-thru, since I didn't feel I could walk in.

I left a note for a CW to prep my deposit and paperwork the next day, so I could just show up, do the payroll and bank run, and go home. Her eyes got wide when I came into work. I apparently looked very visibly ill. I was there long enough to do a couple essential tasks ("manager stuff"), and then I went home. Other MOD graciously covered my third day, which I spent holed up in bed.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Not working and resting when sick is beneficial to the work place in 2 ways:
      1) you get better faster
      2) your sickness doesn't get spread around to other employees
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
        Not working and resting when sick is beneficial to the work place in 2 ways:
        1) you get better faster
        2) your sickness doesn't get spread around to other employees
        3) no one has to redo all the things you screw up when your brain refuses to function at full level due to fever or pain

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

It's a sinus infection.

Ugh.

The following was an actual sequence of events yesterday:

look to right
          see pen on table
          pick up pen
          stare at pen
          wonder what pen is for
          try to figure out how to open pen
          give up
          throw head into pillows

Yup. I was so out of it, I couldn't figure out what a pen was for.

Husband declares that if I'm not better by Sunday night, he's dragging me to the doctor Monday morning. I think I agree with him here, because frankly, if this doesn't get better, I want the good meds!

Comment

Sinus infections are really tough to beat. Often, they start as a viral infection, but a secondary bacterial infection starts up and those you basically aren't going to get rid of w/o antibiotics (at least in my experience).

Drink plenty of fluids to keep the mucus as thinned out as possible.
            Steam will help, too.
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

*nods* Okay I'm there with you. Finally saw the Doc because I had a halo headache with lighting strikes going on for a week straight. The sinus stuff I figured was just allergies. She looked in my ears and says "Wow, no wonder your in so much pain." That's never good. So yeah, massive freeken sinus infection. 14 days worth of augmenton (misp sorry) 875mg. I've given up on kleenex and resorted to toilet paper rolls to save money. And yeah, every one keeps telling me I look like crap even with makeup on to cover the puffy/baggy eyes.

Oh and my regimen includes ice/heat packs, a nasal inhaler and a neti pot if that helps you at all?
              Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

The neti pot helps a bit, though most of the problem right now is inflammation, not crud. I've been living off Throat Coat and green tea, supplemented with massive amounts of (lightly sweet) lemonade to try and clear my throat.

I haven't tried the heat/ice packs, I might have Husband pick up the one I saw at a local store (filled with beans, good for microwave or freezer). He's also determined that I'm going to the doc no matter what, so I'm going to let him fight with the receptionists to get me in. They like him more. Receptionists always like him more. He flirts without knowing it. Freaking adorable.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  Husband declares that if I'm not better by Sunday night, he's dragging me to the doctor Monday morning. I think I agree with him here, because frankly, if this doesn't get better, I want the good meds!
                  And I just got done telling hubby that we can afford to miss 8 hours of pay so I can drag his almost undead ass to the doc's office on Monday. I can sit at home and get over this crud, but he keeps going to work, spreading it around and making it worse on himself.

And drag it will be. He hates the doctor, but now both ears are giving him hell and the cough isn't going away.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Lil Bunny View Post
                    looked in my ears and says "Wow, no wonder your in so much pain." That's never good.

qft! Right up there with "That's the worse _______ I've ever seen." and "Wow, haven't seen that since med school!"

Hope you and KiaKat get well soon.

Comment

Quoth Lil Bunny View Post
                      Oh and my regimen includes ice/heat packs, a nasal inhaler and a neti pot if that helps you at all?
                      Please remember that, if you use nasal irrigation (neti pot), ONLY use distilled water or water you've boiled and allowed to cool. Failure to do so could result in your brain being eaten. (No, I'm not kidding.)

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                        Sinus infections are really tough to beat. Often, they start as a viral infection, but a secondary bacterial infection starts up and those you basically aren't going to get rid of w/o antibiotics (at least in my experience).

Drink plenty of fluids to keep the mucus as thinned out as possible.
                        Steam will help, too.
                        Yep, that's the truth. I once had a year of having to go back to the doctor with yet another sinus infection every couple of months. He'd give me antibiotics, I'd feel better, and before I knew it, another one would hit. Took the doctor a few rounds to figure out what was going on. I evidently had a resistance to normal antibiotics, and so rather than actually clearing up the infection, it was going into just a "low grade" infection - it did clear up most symptoms, and I felt better, so we both thought they were working. Once he broke out what he called the "killer antibiotics", it got rid of it once and for all, and I realized how un-well I actually had been in between, when I was finally actually infection free.

What was kind of funny, and has never happened before or since, was that the doctor actually apologized when he prescribed the new antibiotics, cause they were going to be so very expensive, he said he only used those when he was desperate because of the cost. I thought it was great thay he actually cared enough about his patient's costs to even think of it. Luckily, my medical plan at that time had a set fee for any perscription, so it didn't matter what the price, I paid the same fee.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                          Please remember that, if you use nasal irrigation (neti pot), ONLY use distilled water or water you've boiled and allowed to cool. Failure to do so could result in your brain being eaten. (No, I'm not kidding.)
                          That would explain why I've been so stupid the past two days.
                          Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            qft! Right up there with "That's the worse _______ I've ever seen." and "Wow, haven't seen that since med school!"

Hope you and KiaKat get well soon.
                            I once had a doc pull in an intern to look at my ears. Turns out 20-some sets of tubes over the years leave a lot of scar tissue. And crappy high frequency hearing.
                            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Bastard bug is trying to take up residence in my chest. I've got a call in to the doctor. I refuse to let this turn into bronchitis.

Comment

Working...
                              X