This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to wonder why I even bother to try anymore

Its like fate has decided to keep me down at the poverty level.

I try and try to move up so that I'm not making barely above minimum wage, but every time I try I get refused in spite of being told that I'm great at what I do.

Yes, I know its fatalistic and pessimistic, but when you get slapped down every single time you feel like you have a chance to become more than just a clerk in a job, it gets really wearing.

I've been working since I was 12 years old. I'm 36 now. And I just cannot get beyond $11 an hour even after working at a place for YEARS.

I almost had a chance once, but I was moving out of the country soon so they decided not to give it to me. I don't get it. I don't know what the problem is.

I have a college education and its not in something crappy, its in something useful. Oh yes, I use what I learned, but I just can't seem to get what I'm worth. Even raises are around 11 cents.

Yes, I know... work for someone else. I try, I really do. I send out resume's and use my contacts. I can move to another company and have, but its always a lateral move as I try to find a place that will at least give me a modicum of respect. I'm even a member of the Chamber of Commerce to try to give myself a leg up and push my own business.

But it all goes nowhere at all. I get refused for every job I apply for that might have a chance of paying me more money with benefits, even the ones that talk about how much they love me.

Heck, just today I got refused for a job that I'm infinitely qualified for. And the guy said he loved my qualifications and experience. The reason it gave it to someone else? Because they could live on site. Apparently experience had nothing to do with it. I was perfect for this job and I was refused over the stupidest possible reason. And the guy didnt even call me to tell me, my husband knows him and told me.

Why? Whats the point? I don't get it. Why does everyone else have a chance on this bloody planet to be more than just a clerk except for me? I know more than at least half the people in my industry that are of higher level employment than I am. And every single manager in my hotel is at least four years younger than I am.

Hell, I'd take a pay cut just to get a better title that will be of use later. Even the title of manager is out of my reach in spite of ten years in my industry.

Job before this one, my Rev manager went from pizza delivery boy to res supervisor, to res manager to rev manager in 6 months. I mean seriously... I'm not kidding. Why didn't I get it? Because my manager at the time he hired the pizza delivery boy didn't like me.

I am so unbelievably frustrated.
    Last edited by Moirae; 08-24-2012, 01:56 AM.

Hang in there. I don't know how old you are, but ....

Things do come around. Let me explain. I have a degree in Bus Admin and a Law Degree. Because of the economy AND choosing to follow my husband's "career" (that's a rant for another day), I am, at the age of 55, working as a clerk in a drugstore. I am damn good at taking care of customers, if I do say so myself. However ....

When I apply for any job above entry level, I get passed by. Why? Because I "surely need to make more than this job pays" - or I am "overqualified". What does that mean? It means the employer wants top notch skills for as little money as possible. And in this economy, they can get it. People are desperate for work ... especially here in rural North Carolina. But what did I find out? I actually LIKE my job! I get to give good customer service, treat people as they *should* be treated, and aside from the occasional a**hole, I'm appreciated! So what if I'm only making $9/hour, I'm making someone's day brighter and, hopefully, their life a little better. That's not to say I wouldn't like to make MORE money, but bleh the economy sucks!

We all have to deal with s**t in our lives. I've learned over the years that it's how we deal with that s**t that makes us a better person. And at my age, I figure I have limited time left to make a difference in this world. Would I rather try to take advantage of any and all, grab all that I can get (and get frustrated when it doesn't go the way I want it to)? Or try to help someone else - even if it's just to make them smile TODAY?

I certainly don't mean to belittle your experiences, Moirae, and I certainly understand the frustration. I'm just saying that if you hang in there, it becomes less about promotions and more about taking care of people, or doing the best job you're capable of, or knowing that you're making a difference in the world - that's what gives you the most satisfaction in the long run ... or at least it does for me.

But then again, maybe I'm just an idiot! Carry on :-D

Comment

Thanks teefiies. Im just frustrated. It wouldnt be so bad if I were treated with a modicum of respect by high up. The thing is that I'm constantly treated as though I'm dirt beneath their shoes. My direct manager is great but geez... I'm so tired. And I don't mean physically really. I'm tired mentally.

Im to the point that I just hate most people. I can handle the customers because they will always be entitled jerks but you would think that thd people yiu work for wouldnt be such slimeballs to you even if they are to customers.

Comment

Keep in mind that the economy is still in the dumper.... has been for four years, and is going to stay there for a while. So there are a lot of people scrambling for the same jobs.... so you are facing an uphill battle.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
        X