Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

We're getting a new Branch Manager and I'm stressing out
Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Asura Mesmer

Default We're getting a new Branch Manager and I'm stressing out

I need to rant/expel my stress. We’re getting a new branch manager, finally. He’ll be starting the day I get back from vacation in June. This is triggering my anxiety in a couple different ways.

Both Ted and Goodhair have mentioned about hiring a new manager that we wanted someone “involved in the community.” Today, while telling us about the new manager, Goodhair used that phrase again. And he glanced at me while saying it. He also said we wanted someone who “wouldn’t just wait for customers to walk through the door.” I feel like those are both digs at me. As if there was some community to get involved in if you’re not into beer, fishing, or hunting.

And never mind, I guess, that I tried to get our branch involved in the Adopt-a-Highway program (it would have been a good team building exercise as well as cheap advertisement) but nobody else wanted to do it. And never mind that nobody in management has pushed for getting employees involved in community events or done any advertising to speak of.

Ted and Goodhair also said they wanted someone with commercial lending experience. But the New Branch Manager doesn’t have that, either. At least he has experience managing a branch of a bank.

But to get back to what’s setting off my anxiety (other than a new change to get used to)... at my last annual review, Ted and Old Branch Manager told me I needed to “think outside the box” whatever the that means. I hope they don’t expect me to suddenly turn from an introvert to an extrovert. Or to turn into a salesperson. Or to get involved in “community events” just so I can sell the bank’s products to the people I meet.

I’ve seen how poorly that last bit has gone for both Goodhair and Ted. Some of their worst loans have been made to their “buddies” or people they know from church. I’m not going to lend to my friends (what few I have). That seems like an easy way to lose a friend. I’ve seen how awkward it is for Ted to try to collect from former friends and neighbors.

I want to treat people with respect and integrity. I don’t want to turn potential friends into potential customers, any more than I want to turn customers into friends.

I’ve been trying to get involved in the community. I’ve actually enjoyed going to the monthly Chamber of Commerce meetings these past few months, when I can push down my nerves long enough. I’m also trying to get involved with the city gardening club, but my schedule hasn’t been lining up. If there were local gaming groups, I’d love that. Or maybe a book club? Assuming I could borrow the book from the library, since I can’t afford to buy books (insert yet another rant about not being paid as well as I'd like).

Anyway, I’m stressing out over this. I don’t think there’s really anything I can do but roll with it. It will take some getting used to. I just hope I don’t have a major freak out over it.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Chairman of the Board

When they suggest you get involved in the community, ask them what they had in mind? Get some clarification about what they are suggesting you do. And if it is to sell the bank's products to that community, ask them how much extra pay and/or commission you'll be getting for doing that.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

How much compensation do you receive for all this community outreach? 'Cause I wouldn't want to start working off the clock...

Old 05-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Asura Mesmer

That's a good point. I'm not getting paid well for what I'm doing now. And I'm paid hourly. So I should ask if I can get overtime for the hours I'm attending community events. -_-

Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
How much compensation do you receive for all this community outreach? 'Cause I wouldn't want to start working off the clock...
My guess is OP is compensated in exposure, IYKWIMAITYD.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Other side of the m0dem

why do employers, especially banks, insist on trying to convert introverts? Leave me alone. The rah rah atmosphere at my bank drives me up the damn wall.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 AM
Front End Supervisor

Quote:
Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
why do employers, especially banks, insist on trying to convert introverts? Leave me alone. The rah rah atmosphere at my bank drives me up the damn wall.
Forced teaming. Because if they can get you all hyped up about family! and community! and we have fun here! and we're all in this together! then you will do more work and accept more shit without getting more pay. Theoretically, at least. It's why MLM companies work the rah-rah so hard at their compulsory conventions; if their workers think of the company as their in-group, they're much happier to do borderline unethical things (or just plain ripoffs) to get money out of people who aren't in that in-group - their friends and family - in order to benefit the company.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Ghel View Post
at my last annual review, Ted and Old Branch Manager told me I needed to “think outside the box” whatever the that means.
That probably doesn't have to do with introversion/extroversion at all. "The box" is basically the rules and procedures you operate by, either personally or as part of the business. They're telling you that you can bend or break the rules.

Just remember that you'll still be tossed under a bus if you break the rules and it doesn't work well. ^___^

Old 05-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Loanshark IT

I'm agreeing with Shadow.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Asura Mesmer

Quote:
Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
They're telling you that you can bend or break the rules.

Just remember that you'll still be tossed under a bus if you break the rules and it doesn't work well. ^___^
Probably related: I called the Senior Loan Officer to get approval for an extension for an unsecured single-pay note. He sounded annoyed that I even bothered to ask. "Just do it." Well, I'd never done something like this before. I needed to make sure it was ok and find out what documentation was needed. I'm still not 100% sure I documented it correctly.