This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick and Thicker

This is a long weekend in Ontario (well, across Canada, actually) and the weather is getting far more spring-like and this is the time when (supposedly) you can plant your garden without worrying that it will get hit with a late frost.

So The Clusterfuck was VERY busy today.

And among the customers were the Unreasonables and the Thicks.

1) THICK: We are offering a "Save the Tax" few days on most purchases of $100+ before taxes (I say "most" because there are some exceptions, such as major appliances).

Now, we MUST show the tax on the receipt. Otherwise we get some polite but pointed questions from Revenue Canada.

So what we do, to "Save the Tax" for the customer, is to discount every item they've purchased to equal the sales taxes (GST/HST but I won't go into a long explanation because I don't understand 'em myself).

Not surprisingly, we've had questions from customers who want to know why the tax is still listed on their receipt. I had one of those today.

I explained the situation to her, as I've just explained it here.

*SCOWL*

She didn't get it.

I explained it again.

*SCOWL*

Still not getting it.

Lather, rinse, repeat numerous times. I even drew little circles on the receipt, showing the sales tax AND the overall discount ... which of course were exactly the same.

*SCOWL*

Finally she snatched up the receipt and stalked out, muttering that she was SURE she was still paying the taxes ...

2) Thicker: Mother and adult son come up. Son is buying two throw pillows. Mother is buying a table (still in the box). Son tells me these are two separate transactions. No problem. Son pays for the throw pillows.

And THEN ...

I go to scan Mom's table and she says "I get save the tax, yes?"

I look at the screen. The table is $90.

Me: "I'm sorry, ma'am, but it has to be $100 before taxes. "

She waves at the cushions. "But with those, it IS $100!"

Me: "But those have already been paid for. I can't add them onto this."

Her son gets it and is also trying to explain it to her.

I tell her the ONLY way she can get the no-tax special is to go to Customer Service, return the cushions, and re-purchase the cushions WITH the table in one transaction.

*SCOWL*

Her: "BUT WITH THE CUSHIONS IT'S $100!! WE ARE A FAMILY! WE ARE BUYING THIS AS A FAMILY!!"

The son AND I continue to try to explain why it doesn't work that way.

Finally she asks what the tax would be. It's less than $12. She opts to buy the table and just pay the tax.

And as she walks away, she says "THE MACHINE SHOULD KNOW WHEN IT'S A FAMILY BUYING THINGS!"

Lady, are you KIDDING? My cat has a brain the size of a walnut and HE is smarter than these computers!

Apparently this is another gap in my training: nobody pointed out the "Family Purchase" button on the keyboard ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    she was SURE she was still paying the taxes
    Well she's not wrong... She's just also wilfully ignoring the discount your company's giving her to offset the tax burden.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

let me see if I have figured it out: About a 13% discount on the regular price on purchases over $100?

I'll admit, deciphering those new-fangled receipts isn't my favorite activity, either. Thank goodness my fancy (not) mobile phone has a calculator.

Pushing a button to change the tv channel, I do understand that.
      Last edited by workerbee222; 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Scary

What is scary, come election time these people vote for people based a lot on what they say about budget. These help choose who handles the country's money.

PS. The comment about the phone, today's phones have more computer power than the hardware that sent men to the moon, yet somehow these people can not do the simple calculation needed to understand the discounting.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post

Not surprisingly, we've had questions from customers who want to know why the tax is still listed on their receipt. I had one of those today.

I even drew little circles on the receipt, showing the sales tax AND the overall discount ... which of course were exactly the same.

Finally she snatched up the receipt and stalked out, muttering that she was SURE she was still paying the taxes ...
          My wife did something like that once when we were grocery shopping. She paid, and then as we were heading for the door, she started looking at her receipt and said she got charged twice for something.

I took a look, and sure enough, there was a double charge for something she bought only one of. But right after that, there was a credit for the same amount. I'm guessing it double-scanned, but the cashier caught it right away and voided off the duplicate. I told my wife this, and I thought that would be the end of it. But she just wasn't getting it.

"But it's on there twice!"

"Yes, but she took it off. There's a credit for the same amount."

"But it's on there twice!"

We went back and forth several times, and she finally let it go, but seemed skeptical about it. The thing is, she's worked retail in the past, so she knows how things work. Maybe she was just having an off day.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

"The machine should know when it's a family buying things."

Yeah, right. But even if if DID, they still did two separate transactions, and that's why the coupon didn't apply.

Honestly, some people.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have that happen all the time. Our scanners are super sensitive and scan things multiple times, even through the bag. I had an old guy flip out on me and a manager accusing us of not knowing how to do our jobs even though the item was taken off. He was having none of it and walked out without his stuff.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
              X