Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you even read my resume, or listen to a word I said?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you even read my resume, or listen to a word I said?

I'm not very satisfied with my civil service job.

I'm looking in the private sector for what kind of job opportunities I could make. In my state, civil servants haven't received any kind of pay raise, not even for cost of living, in over a decade.

So, I've got my resume out there on pretty much every job hunting platform out there.

So through one of them, I get an e-mail from a security company, wanting to talk to me about a job, saying I'm highly qualified.

Now, for reference, I've been an investigator with a government agency for 2 years, before that I was with the State Police for about 3 years (doing mostly bodyguard/VIP protection detail work, but some patrol stuff and guarding some government buildings), and was a Parole Officer with the Dept. of Corrections. I was also in the Army for 7 years, in military intelligence. I've got an Associate's Degree (in Intelligence Operations), a B.A. with a double major, and a Master's Degree.

So, a couple of days ago I get a call on my phone, they leave a voice mail. My current employer is very touchy about taking private calls on agency time, so I didn't call back until after work, it just rang to voice mail. They sent me an e-mail saying I was highly qualified and they had a job offer they wanted to discuss with me, they wanted me to fill out an online application and they'd schedule an initial phone interview.

Reading the company's webpage, they provide security services including bodyguards, VIP protection, and armed security for some companies. Given my credentials, I was figuring it was either for a management position (my resume online mentions my military leadership experience) or a VIP protection or bodyguard detail, as my resume also mentions I did those things with the State Police.

Over e-mail, that night, I ask them to please call me after 4 PM. I'm at work until 4, and my job both frowns on me taking personal calls, and leaving my desk even one minute before 4 (and it takes about 5 minutes to leave the building).

Yesterday, they call at 3:53. I don't take the call, since it's before 4. They leave a terse voice mail saying they tried to reach me. I call back 10 minutes later (I leave at 4 on the dot, and it takes a few minutes to leave the building). . .no answer, just goes to voice mail, and I leave a voice mail saying I had to wait until after 4 before I could call.

(The people calling me are one time zone ahead, so it's 3 PM there, so they should still be at work)

I e-mail them, explaining the situation. No reply.

I call them the next day (earlier today) on my lunch break. No answer, just a voice mail.

I call them after work today, finally someone picks up. They said that since I didn't answer the call when scheduled, they would look for someone else for their security officer vacancies.

Wait, security officer? I clarified if they meant just a plain, entry -level security officer.

Yes, that's what they had in mind and were offering me. Basic security guard stuff. Mall cop. Rent-a-cop.

I'm wondering. At what rate of pay?

They said it didn't matter now, but they give the wage. . .it was almost HALF of what I'm making now, and they were paying not too far above minimum wage.

I take the moment to ask why they thought someone with my resume would leave a civil service position, with ironclad job security and vested in the pension system, and while the salary is mediocre, it's almost twice what they are offering. . .AND on top of it, I said to call AFTER 4, not before.

I had my resume out there because I am trying to find a better salary, not a WORSE one! Who would look at that resume and think "I'll offer them a security guard job barely above minimum wage!"

"Well, we thought you were highly qualified, and I said I would call at around 4, and I did."

Yeah, uh huh. I wrapped up the call and hung up, irate for them wasting my time with this runaround when they should have known I'd never take the offer.

Now I'm wondering, did she have some kind of quota of interviews or job applications she was trying to meet with me?

Yes. Some people are just that dense.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Frankly, after my own job searching experience, I think she was just an idiot.

I searched Indeed.com and even have a resume posted there (or I did....I took it down) and their job-matching function keeps sending me jobs saying "your resume is a match!"

Riiight. That's why you keep sending me all those driver jobs, or child care jobs, or other stuff that I am neither qualified for nor interested in.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Frankly, after my own job searching experience, I think she was just an idiot.

I searched Indeed.com and even have a resume posted there (or I did....I took it down) and their job-matching function keeps sending me jobs saying "your resume is a match!"

Riiight. That's why you keep sending me all those driver jobs, or child care jobs, or other stuff that I am neither qualified for nor interested in.
        Yup, and that's where this recruiter found me.

I mean, they weren't wrong in that I was qualified for the job. . .but the problem was I was way overqualified. If I was out of work and that was what was available, sure.

Leaving my current job? No way.

I don't like my current job, but I'm trying to find something that pays more than the mediocre salary I currently make. I'm not desperate enough to leave that I'd take a 45% pay cut.

Comment

Working...
        X