This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My head hurts already...

I left customer service jobs a few years ago to go and work as an archaeologist. Fantastic job but even worse pay and no pension. One slipped disc later I took a look at my bank balance as my sick pay ran out after a few weeks and now I'm back in sales... car sales no less.
    I've got to say I looked back with fondness at some some of my more, err... 'characterful' customers but now I'm facing them again armed with nothing more than a cheap suit I remember why I left.
    Car sales in the UK has a better reputation than in some countries but make no mistake, most people assume that in order to get the job I had to take an exam to prove I was some lesser order of bastard. So far it seems that the nicer I am to people and the further I go out of my way the less they trust me and the more they come to despise the whole experience.

I'm back!
    Oh bugger.

Ouch, you have my condolences. I'm probably one of the people who are not much fun to sell a car to (I fancy myself an "expert") but I'm hopefully not bad enough to be that memorable...

I know about the archaeology pay rate, too. I grew up as the child of a single-parent ancient art historian, and most of mom's friends were artists, architects, art historians, and archaeologists. I'm not surprised to hear about the pay and pension. Most of mom's time teaching doesn't even count for Social Security, because state employees at the time did not pay into it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Nah, experts (both real and self-appointed) are absolutely fine. Whats noticable is the snobbery and entitlement of a sizeable minority of customers. Coming from a job where you're thought of as a well educated and interesting professional it is particularly noticable. Day one i got to see a grown woman stamp her feet and shriek 'thats just not good enough' when our service department 'apologised' that she'd lied to them about how busted up her crapwagon was and told her she would have to wait another hour to have the extra stuff repaired at no additional cost. Quite honestly i wanted to hit her.

Sucks to hear arch and heritage is no better in the rest of the world. I was kind of hoping that at least some of us had a good deal out of it.

Comment

Working...
      X