This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsB_1Lwhr8o However, it's not as weird as the House on the Rock: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Wisconsin.html
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

If people want to waste that much money, why couldn't they give some of it to me?

Comment

Definitely not well planned, I can't imagine a building permit official approving that in the first place.
      This article gives more detail on House on the Rock.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

No house is more bizarre than the House of Leaves...
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

There is...a house...in New Orleans...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It would take way more money to make it livable than it's worth. Too bad; if they'd planned it properly, it would've been great.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's almost like they built the outside when they had money, then ran out of money so did the inside bit by bit but couldn't stick to any of their decisions. And maybe the plans were drawn up and then put on the block turned by 90 degrees. Or maybe they decided they liked the view in one direction so demanded a particular room face that way without thinking about how it would affect the garage and access.

A smart developer could buy it for the big block and then build apartments with underground parking. The hollow is already there so they might as well use it. It would be too expensive to cut and turn it into a flowing, useable house.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                There is...a house...in New Orleans...
                something, something, Rising sun...
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  something, something, Rising sun...
                  I'll never forget Eric Burdon's response after too damn many shouts for that song...

"House of the Rising C**t!"
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Finally got a chance to watch it. So motion sick...

To be honest, I'd just level the place, tidy up the plot and build something reasonable. Put up some noise-muffling fences, plant some foliage, and move the house further back on the plot to minimise noise and take advantage of the views at the back.

Heck, with an acre of land there might be room to push the property much further back on the plot. No way to really tell from the film, but if the slope is too steep they could always build into the hill and go down rather than up from the living room; there are plenty of examples of this kind of construction in places like Welsh mining towns. This would also be additional muffling from the road noise at night.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                    X