This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah. The good ol' days of pwning SC's without consequence

In the year I turned 15, I was offered a job at a local ice cream stand. Being bored and stuck at home,ambitious to earn some extra cash (I already had a job as a busser at an American Legion, but that was once or twice a month), I take the job.

Now, I must give you a visual of the ice cream stand for some of this to make sense. The customers stand outside when ordering and right next to the place, we have a small eating area with picnic tables and umbrellas. We have two windows from which we serve the people.

So, it is just the manager and myself working. It wasn't really busy, so I stayed on window, while she kept me stocked and cleaned. So, I get rid of my customers and go clean. That is when I hear the doorbell. Yes...the doorbell. We had installed a doorbell for each window, just in case we are in the back and a customer needs assistance. So, I open my window.

A black lady (yes, this actually important to the story) is standing there, holding a cardboard bowl of a half eaten sundae.

Me: Obvious
    SC: Again...obvious
    V: The awesome manager

Me: "Hello. How may I help you?"
    SC: "I just got this." *shows the sundae*
    Me: "Was there something wrong with it?"
    SC: "I didn't like it. I want my money back."

Ok. You know that this isn't going to be good. Being young and kinda new to customer service, I decide to get the manager.

Me: "I don't know if we can give you your money back, but let me get my manager so you can talk to her." *to my manager* "V! Can you come to the window please?"

V: "Is something wrong?"
    SC: "Yes. I just got this sundae and I didn't like it. I want my money back."
    V: "I'm sorry. I can't give you your money back."

At this time, along line is starting to form. V was trying with all her power to get this woman out since we had the other window closed.

SC: "Why not?"
    V: "You ate half of it. We can't give a refund just because you didn't like it. If you found something in it or we made it wrong, then we could give you back your money."
    SC:"I want my money!"
    V: "We can't give you the refund."
    SC: "It's because I'm black, isn't it?"

Oooo. Not good. V happens to have a black boyfriend and is very much into rap.

V: "No. It's not. It's because you ate half of it and you didn't like it. That is not our problem."
    SC: "I WANT MY MONEY!"
    V:"Ma'am. I can't give you a refund. Could you please move along? We have other customers who need to be waited on."
    SC:"Well, they aren't getting served until I get my money back!"

Now, I'm pissed. How V was keeping her cool was beyond me. I still had anger problems at that point and it was taking so much not to go over there and punch her. So I did the only thing I could do.

I went over to the other window,took down the "Please use other window" sign, unlcoked the window, leaned out onto the short counter.

Me: "I can help you over here!"
    V: *Looking at me and smiling she says to the customers behind this lady* "If you didn't hear her, she can help you over there."

They already heard me and were laughing as they walked over.

V: "Ma'am. I will not give you a refund." *closes and locks the window*

The customers in my line clapped for the both of us.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Your manager was awesome!! It's a shame there's more of the spineless ones than the good ones.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

That was pretty witty I think if you had a manager like that you can still get away with it now days. You weren't rude :P
      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Reminds me of the time I worked at MickyD's and a customer came up complaining about the burger she ordered. She had ordered a cheeseburger. She said she didn't like it because *gasp* IT HAD CHEESE ON IT. I mentioned that the very fact it was a CHEESEburger should have clued her in, she said she didn't know cheeseburgers had cheese

I offered to replace it with a hamburger, and asked her if she'd bring the cheeseburger up to the counter. She said she'd already eaten it.

So she hates cheese, but ordered and *ate* an entire cheeseburger, and NOW wanted her money back? I passed her on to the manager and went back to serving customers. Not sure what went on, but it ended with her leaving the store and screaming that she and her family would never come back because of awful service. Good riddance.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
          it ended with her leaving the store and screaming that she and her family would never come back
          "Can we have that in writing please?"

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            "Can we have that in writing please?"
            I'm really thinking of issuing a standard form for those customers to fill and sign. The only thing better than banning a sucky customer would be the customer banning themselves.
            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
              Reminds me of the time I worked at MickyD's and a customer came up complaining about the burger she ordered. She had ordered a cheeseburger. She said she didn't like it because *gasp* IT HAD CHEESE ON IT. I mentioned that the very fact it was a CHEESEburger should have clued her in, she said she didn't know cheeseburgers had cheese

I offered to replace it with a hamburger, and asked her if she'd bring the cheeseburger up to the counter. She said she'd already eaten it.

So she hates cheese, but ordered and *ate* an entire cheeseburger, and NOW wanted her money back? I passed her on to the manager and went back to serving customers. Not sure what went on, but it ended with her leaving the store and screaming that she and her family would never come back because of awful service. Good riddance.

Well, what did she think a chessburger had on it? Oh I know...she must have thought that the cheese was a hologram...lol.

Comment

That reminds mw of the time my mum ordered a cheeseburger with nothing extra on it, and got nothing on it - including the cheese!
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                  That reminds mw of the time my mum ordered a cheeseburger with nothing extra on it, and got nothing on it - including the cheese!
                  I hope she took it back. Geez, brain cells fried much?

When we order plain, usually that works, but if we're not sure, we say we want the cheese, meat and bun, that's all.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

"Plain, please" always works at DQ. You get a plain cheeseburger with none of the crap.

But then, I like having mustard and ketchup so I just tell them to hold the pickles.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

.... why would you want it plain??? i love the stuff.

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
                        "Ma'am, we don't pay you to eat a burger. You pay us for that privilege. This is what we call a sale. To wit: Sale -- An exchange of something, including but not limited to money, for goods and services."

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                          Your manager was awesome!! It's a shame there's more of the spineless ones than the good ones.
                          You know I'm beginning to wonder if it's no so much that they start out spineless rather than that corporate have had the spines surgically removed, so that they can better service the "customer".
                          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Best part is, there was no corporate! It is an independently owned stand and the boss usually stood behind her manager's and employees' decisions.
                            "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                              You know I'm beginning to wonder if it's no so much that they start out spineless rather than that corporate have had the spines surgically removed, so that they can better service the "customer".
                              Actually, that would probably be their teeth (so their refusals have no "bite", perverts!) with the complaint line that always believes the customer, and the spine just follows on its own.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X